Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > What is MacNN's policy on rumor threads?

What is MacNN's policy on rumor threads?
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 03:09 PM

Looking for a little clarification here. I was surprised to find this thread in the PowerBook forum. Which brings me to this question: What exactly is MacNN's policy on rumor threads?

Note: This is in no way intended as a slam against Tooki. If someone is obviously spreading garbage rumors, I think it's obviously within the moderator's or admin's discretion to lock that thread. I'm fine with that.

But in the above thread, he seems to go beyond that and state that MacNN does not allow rumors on its forums. Which I found surprising, since rumor threads have always been around, including current threads (including here and here. Not to mention the always popular "what will be announced at Macworld?" threads.

Or perhaps it's a finer distinction: simple speculation is OK, but posting purported "inside info" is not? I'm not sure.

I'm completely supportive of the ban against threads that assist piracy. And I agree that the ATI flashing thing (referred to in above thread) would be somewhat of a gray area.

MacNN can run its site however it wants, but I'd be disappointed if rumor threads were flat-out banned.

Admins, what say you?

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 3, 2004, 02:50 AM

discussing it with the other admins/mods at the moment. we'll let ya know what we come up with.

Cipher13
Jan 3, 2004, 04:07 AM

What a joke.

If it were up to tooki, the MacNN forums would turn into something reminiscent of the Apple discussion boards... and what a joke THOSE are.

Say a single word against Apple, and it's gone.

If Apple gets pissed at rumour threads, and threatens; why would they not get pissed at threads that bash Apple?

Come on.

Oh, and tooki: learn how to use the edit button. It isn't all that difficult.

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Jan 3, 2004, 11:08 PM

Cipher says:
What a joke.

If it were up to tooki, the MacNN forums would turn into something reminiscent of the Apple discussion boards... and what a joke THOSE are.

If Apple gets pissed at rumour threads, and threatens; why would they not get pissed at threads that bash Apple?

Come on.

get that stick out of your butt cipher, and the chip off your shoulder while you're at it.

naming names is pathetic. If you have a problem with tooki, email an appropriate authority. airing your dirty laundry and spewing your personal gripes like that is shameful and juvenile.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

khufuu
Jan 4, 2004, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
What a joke.

Come on.

Gotta agree.

MacNN should be free of Apple shackles. I think rumors should be allowed. I think saying things contra to Apple should be allowed.

This level of freedom is what MacNN is (I thought) about.

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Jan 4, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by khufuu:
I think saying things contra to Apple should be allowed.

This level of freedom is what MacNN is (I thought) about.
I see people crap on apple all day long, so I don't get your gripe about this one.

Rumours are just junk, and they pollute an otherwise useful and efficient forum for information and troubleshooting. If macnn sees fit to permit rumours, then they'll create a rumour lounge or something to that effect. Otherwise they toss that junk to the rubbish heap where it belongs. Wanna talk rumours--go to thinksecret, appleinsider, or macosrumors. Wanna learn or fix something, stick to these boards.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

khufuu
Jan 4, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by The Ayatollah:
I see people crap on apple all day long, so I don't get your gripe about this one.

Rumours are just junk, and they pollute an otherwise useful and efficient forum for information and troubleshooting. If macnn sees fit to permit rumours, then they'll create a rumour lounge or something to that effect. Otherwise they toss that junk to the rubbish heap where it belongs. Wanna talk rumours--go to thinksecret, appleinsider, or macosrumors. Wanna learn or fix something, stick to these boards.
I was responding to:

If it were up to tooki, the MacNN forums would turn into something reminiscent of the Apple discussion boards.

joe_kr
Jan 10, 2004, 11:27 AM

Maybe someone should tell MacNN.com's editors they are not supposed to link to rumors.

http://www.macnn.com/news/22617

Um... if the FRONT PAGE of MacNN can talk about 'em - I don't see why they can't be discussed on the forums

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
discussing it with the other admins/mods at the moment. we'll let ya know what we come up with.
Long discussion?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2004, 06:30 AM

I think they may not be in total agreement concerning roumor threads.

Knock it off tooki
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2004, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

totally!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 21, 2004, 01:56 PM

rumor threads are fine as long as it is clear that the topic is rumors. so don't go hiding a rumor thread inside a tangerine or anything. we'll catch ya.

and yes, this is the official policy. minus the tangerine part.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 02:54 PM

Thanks Demon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules