Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waking up upon movement

Waking up upon movement
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2007, 04:11 PM

Hey everyone, I have a problem with my 17" MBP 2.16 ghz core duo with 1 GB ram all stock. The problem happens when I shut my MBP to get it to go to sleep and then take it class or just carry it. Any movement seems to trigger the motion sensor or something (i'm not sure) to wake the computer up even if the lid is shut and it is already in sleep mode. I checked the latch so its not like the lid popped open a little bit.

This is really annoying when I get to class and open up my bag to find a literally steaming hot computer with 80% battery life gone because it woke up with lid closed. Not to mention with a frozen screen.

It doesn't wake up if I leave it on my desk and I tested it out, it is infact MOVEMENT which causes the computer to wake up but I just can't get it to a point where it is purposely reproducible so I don't want to call apple or take it to the genius bar yet.

I have already tried to reset the PMU and zap the PRAM, all which failed and this problem continues to persist.

The movements that seem to trigger the computer waking up is, putting it verticle (to put in my sleeve), gently flipping it upside down to look at the battery, etc. I can hear the hard disk whir and the pulsating light turns just dim white.

help me please.
( Last edited by cold aspiration; Mar 22, 2007 at 04:22 PM. )

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 02:10 AM

I think you may have to call Apple, and you dont have to reproduce a problem for them to fix your laptop.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2007, 01:24 PM

I don't want apple to simply say "Just send it in" and once they get it the tech keeps it around for a week and then sends it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Plus I need it for school right now.

rjt1000
Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
The movements that seem to trigger the computer waking up is, putting it verticle (to put in my sleeve), gently flipping it upside down to look at the battery, etc. I can hear the hard disk whir and the pulsating light turns just dim white.
I don't want apple to simply say "Just send it in" and once they get it the tech keeps it around for a week and then sends it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Plus I need it for school right now.
Since you know pretty much what movements make it wake from sleep, you should be able to describe the problem to the Apple service tech (or include a letter describing how to make it happen). With some effort, they should be able to figure it out and make things right.

But of course, service will take it out of operation for a week or two. If you're not close to the end of your warranty, maybe it would be better to wait for school break before you bring it in? For now, you could just shut down before moving it. (Turn on the mute before shutdown, if you don't like the chime to announce your presence when restarting at the beginning of each class.)

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2007, 05:03 AM

Yeah I was trying to do it during spring break but my spring break was cut short =(. Well do you guys think it is worth it if I disable the sudden motion sensor and see if that is the problem? I read a couple of different ways to do this, but what is the safest and most reversible secure way to disable SMS?

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 09:30 AM

why dont you just turn it off-it takes like 20 secs to boot

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2007, 02:32 PM

I did not pay the money for a macbook pro so I couldn't use an integral feature of macs that my old ibook did better.

gin8u
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 08:14 PM

I did not pay the money for a macbook pro so I couldn't use an integral feature of macs that my old ibook did better.
im not sure if its just me.. but that did not answer tomzo22 suggestion at all (which was my thought as well). Once you have to leave, or go somewhere, take 1 minute shut down all your apps and shut down your MBP. then reboot it when you need it.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2007, 09:30 PM

Sory Let me clarify, yes that is a valid suggestion but it is silly to just not use the sleep feature on my very expensive and near top of line computer because the feature doesn't work. So it is not really a solution for me, a permanent one nonetheless.
( Last edited by cold aspiration; Mar 24, 2007 at 09:37 PM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 11:13 AM

try disabling the sms, and see how things go (keep an eye on it); then, if need be, call apple...
(i leave sms off...does not like bass-heavy music...!)

First, find the current status of Sudden Motion Sensor:
1. From the Finder's Go menu, choose Utilities.
2. In the Utilities folder, open Terminal.
3. When the command line appears, type sudo pmset -g and press Return.
4. Type in the administrator password when prompted and hit Return. This command queries the computer for the current setting of the Sudden Motion Sensor, which you can determine by locating the sms entry and looking to the right to determine its value. The default setting is "1" (turned on).

Disabling the Sudden Motion Sensor:
1. In Terminal, which should still be open from the previous step, you can disable the Sudden Motion Sensor by typing sudo pmset -a sms 0 and pressing Return (changing the setting to a zero disables the module).
2. Type your administrator password when you are prompted and press Return.
3. Type the sudo pmset -g command again to be sure that the setting has been applied.
Any changes that you make to the Sudden Motion Sensor setting remains in effect even after you restart the computer. If you choose to disable the Sudden Motion Sensor, Apple recommends that you re-enable it as soon as possible in order to take full advantage of the feature.
To re-enable the Sudden Motion Sensor:
First, find the current status of Sudden Motion Sensor:
1. From the Finder's Go menu, choose Utilities.
2. In the Utilities folder, open Terminal.
3. When the command line appears, type sudo pmset -g and press Return. Type your administrator password when you are prompted and press Return. If you have the Sudden Motion Sensor turned off, the value of the sms entry will be a zero (0).

Re-enabling the Sudden Motion Sensor:
1. If the above command returns a zero, you can re-enable the Sudden Motion Sensor by typing sudo pmset -a sms 1 and pressing Return.
2. Type your administrator password when you are prompted and press Return.
3. Type the pmset -g command again to be sure that the setting has been applied.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by tomzo22 View Post
why dont you just turn it off-it takes like 20 secs to boot
Doctor, doctor - when I raise my arm, my shoulder hurts!

Well, don't raise your arm, then!

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2007, 10:25 PM

I don't have a MBP, just a Powerbook for now, but does the MBP still have the lidwake terminal command? Could you disable lidwake for a while and see if the problem still happens? Maybe the latch is coming undone in travel just enough for the computer to sense that it's been unlatched, but without the lid actually opening.

I have one of the original 15" Albooks with the bad latch, so I have always turned lidwake off. It's slightly annoying, but if that's the cause, pressing a button to wake the MBP from sleep might be a better temporary alternative to the ridiculous suggestion to shut down every time you use it.

Spinoza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 03:41 AM

Cold aspiration -

I have the same problem with my 17" MBP C2D! Let's work together.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2007, 03:03 AM

Sounds good, are the symptoms pretty much the exact? What have you tried so far?

Forum Links
Forum Rules