Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Travelling with an 24" iMac

Travelling with an 24" iMac
pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 04:40 PM

Hello eveybody,

I am going to spend 2 weeks in another city and I need to work during this time. My old Powerbook isn't much of help so I'm considering of taking my iMac with me.

It's an aluminum 24" iMac. I have the original box and everything it had inside, so I'm planning to package it exactly how it came to me.

I am going to travel with my car, the trip is about 2.5 hours and is 3/4 highway and 1/4 old road with deteriorated tarmac (bumpy at times). Also, my Mini has a sport suspension (which means a harsher ride than most cars).

The question is, should I take the iMac with me or is there any danger to harm it? (I wouldn't want that!).

When I think of it, the only moving parts inside are the hard drive and maybe some parts of the superdrive which I doubt that it can be harmed. I also think that when the computer is off the heads of the hard disk are parked so they're kind of safe.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

ibook_steve
Feb 4, 2008, 04:48 PM

I'm quite sure that the road your iMac took to get to you originally was much worse than your short drive. If packed correctly, especially in it's original box, there should be no problem at all. Yes, hard drive heads park when they are shut down, so there should be no issues.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

pk1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 04:58 PM

Thank you for your answer. One more thing I forgot to mention:

If I decide to take it, shall I place it vertically (the normal position) or laying flat? (Of course it doesn't fit the boot of the Mini so I'll have it in the back seat. Now that I think about it, it may not even fit back there laying down...). If there's any difference at all!

Unblowupable5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 05:58 PM

Like ibook_steve said, the original route your iMac took to get from China to your door was likely much more harsh than what you're planning to do. As long as you're not dragging it behind you with an extra long chain, I think you'll be OK.

ibook_steve
Feb 4, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
Thank you for your answer. One more thing I forgot to mention:

If I decide to take it, shall I place it vertically (the normal position) or laying flat? (Of course it doesn't fit the boot of the Mini so I'll have it in the back seat. Now that I think about it, it may not even fit back there laying down...). If there's any difference at all!
Makes no difference whatsoever.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2008, 11:14 PM

What is wrong with you Powerbook? What kind of work do you do, that the Powerbook can't handle for a couple of weeks?
My Blog-pakos.me

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2008, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't blame him. Unless he has a MacBook Pro, he's probably used to the speed and the screen real-estate of the iMac.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2008, 12:39 PM

Those boxes can take quite a pounding. I've seen first-hand some gnarly falls and bumps and upon opening the box there wasn't a single crack or dent to be found.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008, 01:56 PM

I'm sure itll be fine. I've taken my macbook on a fair few journeys of bumpy rides while it has been turned on, so I'm sure youll have no problem, unless you plan on having it turned on in your car infront of you and just using the isight to see where youre going, in which case the isight may temporarily skip leading to fatal consequences, but in most cases, people dont tend to drive a car while playing on their computer right infront of them so they cant see the road.

It'll be fine.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
unless you plan on having it turned on in your car infront of you and just using the isight to see where youre going, in which case the isight may temporarily skip leading to fatal consequences, but in most cases, people dont tend to drive a car while playing on their computer right infront of them so they cant see the road.

English sense of humour… you can't beat that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules