Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 8)
NYK Ace
Senior User
May 4, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Either console you get it for will be a good choice, although everyone will give you the reasons for both but its a amazying game for either PS3 or X360
SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE
Xbox 360
Xbox 360
Xbox 360
Xbox 360
yup
SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE
PS3
PS3
PS3
PS3

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 08:05 PM

Whats the update on everyones game %?
I think i'm right at 50% (maybe 49.xx) with about 29 hours in

Easy way to get a car for racing...

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 08:12 PM

Whats the update on everyones game %?
I think i'm right at 50% (maybe 49.xx) with about 29 hours in

Easy way to get a car for racing...

I hate the racing. I always get nudged at high speeds and lose control. I can't even beat the first one.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I hate the racing. I always get nudged at high speeds and lose control. I can't even beat the first one.
i have lost a few on the last lap with a quick flip of the car around a bend but i think i've only completed 5 or so and i think you need to do 20 for the achievement (xbox 360), but i do like racing it has always been one of my favorite side missions
( Last edited by klb5090; May 4, 2008 at 09:14 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 4, 2008, 09:09 PM

I find racing in first person easier.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; May 5, 2008 at 12:44 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 10:24 PM

I'm at 35% with around 20 hrs right now, just unlocked the second island. Current favorite weapon is the assault shotty.

Racing is easy, just hang back at the start and let everyone collide into a giant heap at the first turn. Then race conservative FTW!

Something that pissed me off is that my Comet (from Brucie's mission) disappeared from my parking spot randomly. So I've been forced to scavenge for good cars to race with.

Also just unlocked the ability to get picked up in a helicopter whenever I want, haven't tried it out yet though.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm at 35% with around 20 hrs right now, just unlocked the second island. Current favorite weapon is the assault shotty.

Racing is easy, just hang back at the start and let everyone collide into a giant heap at the first turn. Then race conservative FTW!

Something that pissed me off is that my Comet (from Brucie's mission) disappeared from my parking spot randomly. So I've been forced to scavenge for good cars to race with.

Also just unlocked the ability to get picked up in a helicopter whenever I want, haven't tried it out yet though.
yea dude i just got that too and its awesome for hard missions with a wanted level, just call him and he'll drop on the nearest roof and you can use him as your escape route, he'll take you anywhere in the city.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 10:56 PM

Seems like an easy way for me to get the 'Evade 4 stars" achievement.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 12:45 AM

So anyone get higher than 4 stars? I can't no matter what I do. They get really pissed if you drive around in the airport but still not 4+ pissed.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 01:26 AM

At the beginning when the cops are blocking the bridges, if you mess with them, it's an instant 6 stars. I was never able to get away though, 6 stars is serious business.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 02:03 AM

When do you get the guy who delivers weapons in his trunk? I'm about 30% in or so and I have yet to see him? Did I miss something or do I have further to go?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
So anyone get higher than 4 stars? I can't no matter what I do. They get really pissed if you drive around in the airport but still not 4+ pissed.
Before you unlock an island trying to get to it will get you 6 stars. I got my "One Man Army" achievement by getting in a speed boat and shooting over to a locked island, and once I got my 6 stars just rode around the map for 5 minutes. Easiest achievement yet.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
When do you get the guy who delivers weapons in his trunk? I'm about 30% in or so and I have yet to see him? Did I miss something or do I have further to go?
You missed something. It's Little Jacob from the first island.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 09:28 AM

Yeah, my friend who beat it also echoed the shotgun sentiment. I have a feeling I've been rushing it. It's also dreadfully dark outside and I can't see a thing.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I beat that one on the first try the PS3 version must be way easier.
I figure you're being polite here, but I've never been a GTA master or anything. This not all that surprising.

---

It should be noted I've somehow managed to get 26% of the game done without getting past this mission.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 11:43 AM

So has anyone gotten to the point where you have the option to sniper the corrupt cop or his brother?

I shot the cop and after came a cool funeral mission that turned into a shootout and me speeding the coffin to the graveyard without letting it fall out the back.

I'm wondering what would have happened if I shot the other dude though.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 11:45 AM

So has anyone gotten to the point where you have the option to sniper the corrupt cop or his brother?

I shot the cop and after came a cool funeral mission that turned into a shootout and me speeding the coffin to the graveyard without letting it fall out the back.

I'm wondering what would have happened if I shot the other dude though.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 11:47 AM

I just got it for PS3 and never having played a GTA game before, I have to say this is one sweet game. Played for about 12 hours total and haven't had any of the freezing issues others have had.

The multiplayer seems like endless fun... but there NEEDS to be some sort of replay system! The ragdoll physics make for some really unique and memorable moments.

Anywho, if any PS3onians out there want to link up just PM me your PSN id.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 12:00 PM

Christ, spoilers, people, spoilers.

klb5090
Mac Elite

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post

It should be noted I've somehow managed to get 26% of the game done without getting past this mission.
does this mean your still on the first island? if so my friend let me tell you that you must finish this mission and move on to the wonders that are the second and third island, many good times to come.

future mission info inside...

Although everymission has such a basic objective I.e. (not internet explorer), kill someone, get a car, get away from cops, kill someone again...they feel so different and fresh because of the way there presented, also later on as you unlock abilities like the helicopter ride from Brucie it makes planning your mission ahead of time an entire objective in it self.

klb5090
Mac Elite

Christ, spoilers, people, spoilers.
you didn't have to be so blatant, at least i was subtle haha

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 12:03 PM

does this mean your still on the first island? if so my friend let me tell you that you must finish this mission and move on to the wonders that are the second and third island, many good times to come.
No thanks, I prefer being stuck both on this mission and this island.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 04:19 PM

I'm having withdrawals! It's exam week and I haven't played since like Friday!

Just finished my exam for the day, now I have a few days off... I'm gettin pumped.

Any of you guys gonna be playing multiplayer tonight?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 04:21 PM

I was thinking about it. I think it swings on y story progression and whether one of my friends is on.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 04:32 PM

Yeah same here... I'm not getting home until around 7ish, and I'm planning on playing the single player for a while (I want to fly the freakin helicopter!) but if any of you guys are playing I'm down for some multiplayer. I've only played with you guys once, since the day after I had to take a break for a few days.

Dakar, I think you're my only friend from 'NN on live! Anyone else who's playing GTA and wants to add me, the names "ChronicBings"

P.S. Around what percentage does the helicopter come into play??

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2008, 06:07 PM

I'm way to sucked in to the story right now to play multi.

Thursday night so far seems like the ideal "play multiplayer until my eyes bleed" night. Of course we all need to get Dakar to shoulder the burden of picking game types and inviting everyone....just like the Halo 3 days.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 06:12 PM

I too have little desire to play multi at this point. I'm all about the story right now. The only problem I'm having right now is the fact that there aren't enough hours in the day (real days, not GTA days). Work is becoming quite inconvenient. Although I did find myself taking a break from GTA to finish up Rainbow Six 2. Finished that on Sunday so I've beat all the games I own except GTA, which means its going to get beat like one of those punk ass yuppies in an SUV.

And I'd like to thank Dakar for enforcing a strict Spoiler Tag policy. Keep crackin' da whip Dakar!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 06:26 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post

Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 06:52 PM

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 07:28 PM

I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2008, 07:57 PM

Ha, did it first try. Took Kevin's advice to start, but the big thing was I waited till daylight so I could see what the hell was going on in the back alley. That was huge.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 08:07 PM

Brucies Friend Stevie Missions...

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 08:10 PM

Thursday night so far seems like the ideal "play multiplayer until my eyes bleed" night. Of course we all need to get Dakar to shoulder the burden of picking game types and inviting everyone....just like the Halo 3 days.
Thursday is perfect for me, happens to be my last day of finals and i'm going back home around 3pm so i'll be ready to GTA all night once i'm home... I must agree we need Dakar to direct and coordinate the multiplayer experience.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 04:09 AM

I f**king hate the bank robbery

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 08:44 AM

Ha, couple of stories, vaguely spoiler free.

I had a mission where I had to take out a few people who were in a car. I was trailing them, when I accidentally hit them and they started firing at me, right in front of cops. The cops get pissed, start trying to arrest them. For some reason the idiots stopped in the middle of the road (as I blast past, trying to figure out how I'm going to approach the situation). By the time I pull a U, one guy is down, and as I drive past going in the other direction, the cops cap the second guy. Then the cops get in their car and drive away. I get mission succeeded. Awesome. That's the way things should go.

Later I had a mission on the second island. During the course of it I accrued 3 stars, and busted out by grabbing a truck. Unfortunately, since it was right by some cops, they shot out the front passenger tire. For 6 minutes, I drove the second island without it, struggling to make left turns and with absolutely no acceleration or handling thanks to the car model. Hummers, helicopters and cruisers were all over me, but in the end I made a poor turn, needed to ditch the truck so I decided to make a break for it and got splattered feet over head by a cruiser that scraped the driver's side door as I was getting out. Good times.

About an Elizabeta mission:

Oh, I'm most of the way through the second chapter. The first race was embarrassingly easy after the second turn when everyone wrecked.
...and the LCPD Blotter is screwed up for the second straight day.
...also, best I can tell, if you're doing the Liberty CIty Marathon, it's going to take over 300 game hours (and probably 400) to start completing some of the events.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 09:45 AM

The first race was embarrassingly easy after the second turn when everyone wrecked.
Nobody wrecked in my race. I tried hanging towards the back and letting everyone else wreck, but it never happened. I barely squeaked out a win at the last second.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 09:50 AM

I made the mistake of just going with them and I got banged up pretty good the first turn. The leaders wrecked at turn two, at which point I left the remaining few in the dust.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 10:20 AM

hilarious moment from yesterday (hopefully spoiler free)
I was doing a mission involving the helicopter and a little bit of a chance through the city and as i'm flying trying to keep up in between the buildings Roman calls me...."hey cousin do you want to go to a gentleman's club, i'm already there and i'll meet you". Niko declines citing "in case you can't hear Roman, i'm in a helicopter i really can't be going to a strip club", A few seconds past and i receive a text... "thats your lose cousin you should see what i'm looking at....(insert picture in text message of a strippers assets...)"

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 10:24 AM

Wait, you have a cousin in the game?! I didn't get that far, asshole!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 10:57 AM

Well I finally got 5 stars. I just hung out on the hood of a 747 at the airport and shot cars and choppers with a rocket launcher. Eventually they sent an attack copper with guns that took me out pretty quick.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 10:59 AM

You know, I'm pretty sure you can enter the cheat to increase your stars and it won't affect the legitimacy of your achievement if you survive 6 for the required amount of time. Don't hold me to that, though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2008, 04:11 PM

I had an interesting observation.

While clipping at full speed in the Banshee I totally T-boned a Taxi right on the passenger side. To my amazement the cabbie died on impact and slumped against the wheel.

I've never seen that before!

Also, Brucie send me a text telling me that new races are around and I should hit him up, so I called him....no races at the moment...WTF?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 04:53 PM

Also, Brucie send me a text telling me that new races are around and I should hit him up, so I called him....no races at the moment...WTF?
I think you can race without calling him. In the phone menu choose his name and then "Race" or something like that.

Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 04:53 PM

I had a funny experience last night that was sort of similar. I was at full speed over a bridge, slammed into the back of a car that was stopped at the end of the bridge. The car catches fire, the driver gets out and is fully engulfed in flames. Meanwhile there are other cars trying to get around the accident, and the car I hit explodes. This catches another car on fire, and that driver gets out and is engulfed in flames.

Repeat that 2 more times until there were no more cars left near the scene to catch fire. I just sat there and watched it all go down.

This game SERIOUSLY needs some sort of way to replay and save those types of scenes. There is so much random joy that can happen and no way to record it.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I had a funny experience last night that was sort of similar. I was at full speed over a bridge, slammed into the back of a car that was stopped at the end of the bridge. The car catches fire, the driver gets out and is fully engulfed in flames. Meanwhile there are other cars trying to get around the accident, and the car I hit explodes. This catches another car on fire, and that driver gets out and is engulfed in flames.

Repeat that 2 more times until there were no more cars left near the scene to catch fire. I just sat there and watched it all go down.
The little details didn't used to happen but its not like chain reaction events were all that uncommon before.

Actually, you reminded me, I had a similar situation last night only the car did not blow up.

I also had a brutal scene where I came off an intersection too fast, tried to brake, but was airborne, and smashed into the back of a parked car --
when the owner was in the back rooting around in the trunk. I'm so sorry, guy...

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2008, 05:01 PM

I think you can race without calling him. In the phone menu choose his name and then "Race" or something like that.
Yeah, that's the route I use. He answers but says there isn't anything going on.

I probably just need to wait a few more days or something.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
This game SERIOUSLY needs some sort of way to replay and save those types of scenes. There is so much random joy that can happen and no way to record it.
FRAPS.

Oh, riigghhhttt. You're on a console

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 05:06 PM

Yeah, and we're enjoying now, as opposed to the current projection for PC people: Never

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 05:13 PM

Ouch.

Well, I knew that was coming.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 05:45 PM

Ya I was thinking a recored feature is badly needed. The only thing that really disapoints me though is the radio stations as there only seems to be about 5 songs per station. Since I hate 60% of them that doesn't leave much originality when your 30 hours into the game.

Forum Links
Forum Rules