Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Screen burn in on AL iMac 24"

Screen burn in on AL iMac 24"
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2008, 09:18 PM

So I just noticed some burn in on my iMac. Haven't been able to figure out what it is, but it's definitely there. Anyone know if this covered? The LCD has already been replaced because of the back light problem. I bought it on October 22nd last year so I'm just under the warranty. I always thought the burn in problem was solved and that the new screens don't do that anymore. I always have a screen save running. I restarted but nothing changed. Is there something like a degauss like the old school CRTs had? I know you can't degauss an LCD.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 10:34 PM

Apple has a knowledgebase article on LCD image persistence. I don't think they consider it a warranty issue.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2008, 10:37 PM

Thanks.......I will try that fix. The image that they reference to use as the screen saver link is broken.

I booted into XP and could see more 'persistence'........my Dock.
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Sep 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 25, 2008, 05:04 PM

Just play a moving video full-screen. Or the iTunes visualizer.

Basically, anything with movement that will "exercise" the pixels and make them come unstuck. Really.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Just play a moving video full-screen. Or the iTunes visualizer.

Basically, anything with movement that will "exercise" the pixels and make them come unstuck. Really.
I do that all the time as I watch alot of DVD movies so that hasn't appeared to work or prevented it. I was watching a movie full screen this morning but didn't check to see if the persistence was still there. Will check when I get home. Thank you for your reply.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2008, 10:58 PM

You can also use a solid white screen and leave it on for a while. That always works for me.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 11:02 PM

Yep, that's what's in the KB that mduell posted above. Looks like the burn in is gone for now, thank god.

Forum Links
Forum Rules