Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CircuitCity RIP

CircuitCity RIP (Page 2)
Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2009, 06:04 PM

I just came back from my local circuit city store and they had crap. The flat screen tv prices were jacked up, and the 99% of the store was only discounted 10%. I could get a better price from amazon or best buy for the same tv.

It appears that they sold off most of the stock even before they opened their doors, for instance, they had no digital cameras in stock. I was hoping for a decently priced D90 but they had squat.

Oh well, from the reports from this thread my expectations were rather low and I wasn't disappointed.
~Mike

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2009, 11:06 PM

I also went to my local CC yesterday and was underwhelmed by their "sale."

10% off for a liquidation sale? Come on, stores were giving 50% off just a month or two ago for the holidays.

The store I was in was busy, but the people in line didn't like they were holding much. The shelves hardly seemed empty like the KB Toys store which knows how to have a liquidation sale.

Maybe CC is just starting slowly to make as much money as they can.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Anyone know what's happening with The Source in Canada? They're owned by Circuit City.

I assume they're being liquidated too which is no big loss because they royally suck, but nonetheless it'd be good to get confirmation that they're not be being bought out or whatever.

EDIT:

Wha'?

I guess the Canadian arm is doing reasonably well... which surprised me. From that linked article in the second post:

Circuit City also operates about 765 retail stores and dealer outlets in Canada. The company said its Canadian operations, which employ 3,000 workers, will continue to operate.
"The crunch is on for the operator of The Source by Circuit City stores in Canada to find a buyer after it was announced Friday that U.S. parent company Circuit City Stores Inc. had failed to find a buyer or reach a refinancing deal."

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=1186138

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2009, 05:11 PM

My Circuit City was up to 30% off. Mice, keyboards, speakers, headsets. All that computer accessory stuff at 30% off.

Games at 20% off.

TVs at 10% off.

I bought a thing or two. Then stuck a bunch of others (games mostly, but a new mouse and speakers as well) underneath one of the shelves, hoping I can get them there later when it's down to 40% or 50% off.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2009, 08:00 PM

We went this weekend after stopping at Best Buy to find a small LCD TV. Circuit City was the same price but labeled x% off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules