Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > General questions about iPods

General questions about iPods
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 10:19 AM

I going to purchase an iPod today, the black 60GB model. I have a couple of questions:

1. I have iTunes on my Mac at home and on my PC at work. What happens after I've synced iTunes at home and then I plug in my iPod to my work PC? Will it erase what I had and re-sync what is on the PC? Merge? I'd really like it to

2. Sort of the same question for syncing contacts. Although I don't use Address Book at home, I will import everything from Entourage so that my iPod will have my contact info. At work, I use Outlook. Will my existing contacts be wiped out when I plug in my iPod at work? Or will they merge?

I'll probably think of more later. Thank you.
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Nov 13, 2005 at 10:28 AM. )

cler_babe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2005, 05:06 PM

just go into your ipod preferences in itunes and set it to manual upload and you can set it so that it doesn't automatically sync them

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 05:15 PM

Actually, I'd like everything to merge and not lose any data on either computer. Is that possible?

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 05:16 PM

Oh, and BTW, I just got home with my shiny new 60GB (black).

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg
Actually, I'd like everything to merge and not lose any data on either computer. Is that possible?
Even if you kept all the settings on automatic, you wouldn't lose data on either of the computers. What would happen is that, when you went to the second computer, iTunes would tell you that the iPod has already been linked with the first computer, and ask if you want to link it with the second computer, with a warning that doing so will erase the iPod and re-sync it with the second computer. The only way to avoid this is to set iTunes on both computers to update the iPod manually. Unfortunately, there is no way to have the second computer automatically look for what files differ on the iPod and merge those in.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules