Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > iMac Boot Weirdness

iMac Boot Weirdness
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2014, 10:46 AM

While I'm here, the XP-SP2 warning stick can probably be safely removed or at least updated now. Most new Macs need much newer versions of Windows than that.

Got an Aluminium iMac 2011 model I think it is but it runs Windows 7 pretty much all the time, natively via boot camp. Its fine when its running but it has a tendency to lose its marbles during the boot process is you shut it down.

It boots to a grey screen if left to its own devices usually and then just sits there indefinitely.
If you alt-boot it, you get startup manager but clicking on the Boot Camp partition will usually cause it to freeze the first time, sometimes a second time, then after that it will boot into Windows normally and be fine again until the next time it shuts down.

Boot Camp is properly selected and remembered in the Startup Disk settings, I've tried PRAM and SMC resets and selecting it again and this behaviour persists. Never seen another one do this, its odd and annoying.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 27, 2014, 03:12 PM

Apple software update does periodically update Boot Camp drivers as well. Might want to send it into OS X to check that.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2014, 07:21 AM

Those updates usually also provide fixes for things like boot manager weirdness, which is what it sounds like is going on. The boot code must still be there or you'd never boot into 7, but finding it is the job of the boot manager (part of EFI on Macs since...2005?), and it looks like it's gotten goofy. There should be a Boot Camp update that addresses it if we're talking about Win7, since Boot Camp now supports Win8 - it's been around long enough to be "mature," so to speak.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 05:20 PM

Thats a good shout actually. I'll check for an EFI update next chance I get. Thanks guys!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules