Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just acquired a 20" iMac G5, it qualifies for the PSU fix. How do I?

Just acquired a 20" iMac G5, it qualifies for the PSU fix. How do I?
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2007, 11:38 PM

I was given an iMac G5. Free. Gratis. Wealthy ex-owner/friend. His reasoning was the fact that the computer shuts down on it's own and sometimes won't boot up. He's moved on with a MacBook Pro and an iPhone. Hasn't tried to use the iMac in months.

Days pass, and I do some research. I find that this machine may qualify for a repair under a repair extension program for power supply issues (Apple - Support - iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues).

Should I just do a clean install and take it in to an Apple Store to have it checked for the free repair? Should I ask the dude for an original receipt or something? I'd tend to think this is a hazy area, being a second owner trying to get service work done.

The computer has the correct symptoms and EMC number and was purchased less than three years ago.
ice

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 6, 2007, 12:17 AM

I am the second owner of my macbook, and i've had service repairs done no problem. Granted, it is still within the first year warranty period, but all they have ever been concerned with in my case is the serial number (which tells them purchase date, etc), not with who bought it.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2007, 12:40 AM

thanks for the reply : )
ice

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2007, 10:16 PM

awesome! they replaced the part for free and I'm rockin and rollin'..

ice

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 08:55 PM

Sweet! Enjoy your machine! People are all "Intel" this and "Intel" that, but a G5 for free is nothing to sniff at!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules