Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4 (Official Thread)

iPhone 4 (Official Thread) (Page 4)
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:26 PM

You early adopters are something else. If I were ordering an iPhone and got dumped out twice, I'd forget about it for a day at least.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 05:49 PM

Its a disease. Pity us!

I luckily got through this morning, but now I'm trying to get one for my girlfriend. She's also trying. Not going well.

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2010, 05:50 PM

I just quickly skimmed this thread looking for information on the white model. If my question has been covered I apologize for asking again.

A friend that works at AT&T selling iPhones was told that the only way to pre-order a white one was on the Apple Store web site. Looking at the web site it says white is not available for pre-order. Have they been available and are now out? Or possibly going to be available later? Anyone have the scoop on the white iPhone 4?
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

-Q-
Jun 15, 2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by fletch521 View Post
Have they been available and are now out? Or possibly going to be available later? Anyone have the scoop on the white iPhone 4?
They were never available for pre-order. So far, no date has been announced as to their availability.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
To get back to a much earlier question in this thread about upgrading from an original iphone I spoke with ATT and they said it would be $30/month for unlimited data. They also said they would adjust the text message plan so that overages would only be 5 cents each instead of 10 cents.
You win! I still don’t think you would have been able to get that without explicitly asking for it, but I guess we’ll never know…

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Its a disease. Pity us!
Kind of seems like some sort of disorder. Why do people fall all over themselves to give AT&T money only to complain about the poor service?

The iPhone is the only Apple product class that has been out for years that I have yet to buy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
You win! I still don’t think you would have been able to get that without explicitly asking for it, but I guess we’ll never know…

Thanks
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Kind of seems like some sort of disorder. Why do people fall all over themselves to give AT&T money only to complain about the poor service?

The iPhone is the only Apple product class that has been out for years that I have yet to buy.
Personally I have very few issues with AT&T. I almost never have dropped calls, voice quality is fine, coverage is good, etc. But the few times like this when they really need to be a powerhouse and handle the immediate demand, they are frustrating to deal with.

Of course that's just me. I know many others who have had lots of problems with them. I've just been lucky I guess.

And really, its just filling out the same online form 50+ times.. its not THAT bad.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2010, 06:43 PM

I gave up and made a reservation through the apple store app. It says it'll be available until the end of the day.

How does that work on launch day? Will there be a separate line for reservations? I can't imagine there'll be only a few people that made reservations.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, f*ck it, I've been trying for almost 5 hours now.

Still no luck. WTF, Apple / AT&T

-t
I spent an hour trying online, then spent three hours in the ATT store for mine. Then I spent another 4 or 5 hours online straight getting another one for the wife. So an entire day spent ordering two things online. Someone's IT department didn't calculate the onslaught today.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2010, 06:56 PM

AT&T have had 3 years of experience before this, seems they still can't figure out how to run a launch. Sorry, I'm not spending a full day like Mr. Williams going between online stores and brick and mortar stores trying to simply pre-order a phone. But I want the white one too...

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 06:57 PM

It's sold out (at AT&T, and most of Europe). 1.5-2 million sold in the last, what, 14 hours? Sweet Jesus.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 06:59 PM

OMG OMG OMG.

Just when I was ready to give up, my order in the Apple Store went through.

I got a confirmation number. Let's see if it's real.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 07:01 PM

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 07:10 PM

Yeah, I just posted that.

Although, IIRC AT&T pulled the same stunt last year, where the servers took a dump when pre-orders opened up, and then promptly declared the allotment sold out.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2010, 07:11 PM

I just got through on Apple's website and was able to pre-order. Go now if you haven't been trying lately.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 07:19 PM

I'm a bit worried that I haven't received my confirmation email yet. I have the receipt that showed up online, with my order # etc.

Is it normal to wait this long for a confirmation email? Its been about 5 hours since my order went through.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm a bit worried that I haven't received my confirmation email yet. I have the receipt that showed up online, with my order # etc.

Is it normal to wait this long for a confirmation email? Its been about 5 hours since my order went through.
I haven't gotten mine either. Not sure what's so hard about sending out a confirmation.
But the order is showing online, so I hope it's real.

-t

Cold Warrior
Jun 15, 2010, 07:32 PM

just got through online at the apple store. Tried a lot today during breaks in work, but kept failing at the att check phase (no surprise). Unfortunately it only let me ship to the billing address, not work.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 09:00 PM

Just got my confirmation for the order I placed earlier today. Only thing is, I wasn't sure if it went through, so I placed another order about an hour ago. Hopefully they don't cancel my original.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:09 PM

I haven't gotten mine either. Not sure what's so hard about sending out a confirmation.
But the order is showing online, so I hope it's real.

-t
I just got my confirmation email a few minutes ago. I guess that means I get to sleep tonight.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:22 PM

My order creaked through at like 430, my confirmation email didn't get in till 9. Stay strong, brothers.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2010, 09:40 PM

I did my pre-order at BestBuy so I could use my Best Buy credit card. But don't know if I'll get it launch day or not because they said they already did around 30 or so.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

shiff
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2010, 10:21 PM

I finally got mine pre-ordered. Took about 3 hours to get the confirmation email but I did finally get it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
just got through online at the apple store. Tried a lot today during breaks in work, but kept failing at the att check phase (no surprise). Unfortunately it only let me ship to the billing address, not work.
I must have misread this, because I tried and tried and finally got through and was able to pre-order only to learn that they will only ship to the ATT billing address. When I read your post I thought I would be ok because I wanted to ship to my credit card's billing address (which isn't usually the case for me).

Oh well, I guess I will reserve one and pick it up in the store.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 16, 2010, 12:44 AM

Just do what I should have done:
Wait a bit.

I didn't, but I'll just take a half day or something next Thursday.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Just do what I should have done:
Wait a bit.

I didn't, but I'll just take a half day or something next Thursday.
Damn. I should have done that. Now I'll take my chances and see if I can get a phone on launch day rather than wait until July 2. I hope this phone turns out to be worth the trouble.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 01:04 AM

Damn, wish I hand’t waffled so long on the preordering. Now I’m gonna have to wait or try my luck at the Apple Store next week. Though I suppose it couldn’t hurt to stop by the local Radio Shack and see if they’re getting any for launch day.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
AT&T have had 3 years of experience before this, seems they still can't figure out how to run a launch. Sorry, I'm not spending a full day like Mr. Williams going between online stores and brick and mortar stores trying to simply pre-order a phone. But I want the white one too...
Telekom informed us that interest in iPhone 4 preorders is TEN TIMES that of the last one.

I think they were anticipating silly huge numbers, and those just got dwarfed by reality.

From what I've seen, this phone has a HUGE "want" factor for a whole lot of people.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Telekom informed us that interest in iPhone 4 preorders is TEN TIMES that of the last one.

I think they were anticipating silly huge numbers, and those just got dwarfed by reality.

From what I've seen, this phone has a HUGE "want" factor for a whole lot of people.
I know that it will be my first iPhone. After month of shopping around, comparing the various Droid devices and Palm offerings, I saw the iPhone 4 video. I knew immediately that this was the phone that I wanted.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I wish I didn't have to either. But I desparately needed to get mine ordered. My 3G is shattered. Deceleration trauma and concrete is a bitch.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
It's sold out (at AT&T, and most of Europe). 1.5-2 million sold in the last, what, 14 hours? Sweet Jesus.
Is that an official count? I'm dying to see an official count of units sold.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 07:55 AM

Wow, even Apple sold out of preorders. I wonder if anyone expected this? Hope it boosts AAPL tomorrow.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Wow, even Apple sold out of preorders. I wonder if anyone expected this? Hope it boosts AAPL tomorrow.
I anticipate so many trades that their computers struggle to keep up and people have to wait hours to buy stock and even wait in line only to have someone record their trade on paper.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
I may have spoken too soon - just got this in the email:

Although this is probably due to an earlier failed attempt because it refers to a different order number than the one I got on the confirmation page. I haven't received any confirmation for my "completed" order though and it doesn't show up on the order status page.
So, this morning I got four emails from AT&T saying they cancelled four different orders. When I went to the order status page on AT&T, it finally does show an actual order (although with an order number I didn't recognize). It must have placed orders when it timed out on the last step - it actually worked on one of my first tries but I didn't know it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Is that an official count? I'm dying to see an official count of units sold.
The official count is over 600,000 for pre-orders.

Apple takes over 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders | Electronista

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
The official count is over 600,000 for pre-orders.

Apple takes over 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders | Electronista
I like the line about 13 million hits to the eligibility page. How many of those are from visitors of this thread?

-Q-
Jun 16, 2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I like the line about 13 million hits to the eligibility page. How many of those are from visitors of this thread?
I'll take responsibility for no more than 1.2 million of those. Not a hit more.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 03:21 PM

Damn. New orders for the iPhone 4 have been pushed back until July 14th. Sucks for those who didn't get there order in yet.

Apple already delaying new iPhone 4 orders to July 14 | Electronista

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Damn. New orders for the iPhone 4 have been pushed back until July 14th. Sucks for those who didn't get there order in yet.

Apple already delaying new iPhone 4 orders to July 14 | Electronista
What about me? I ordered mine yesterday..the article said something about July 4th
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
What about me? I ordered mine yesterday..the article said something about July 4th
What does your Order Status on Apple.com say ?

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Apple to offer unlocked iPhones in Canada - The Globe and Mail

Apple Inc. (AAPL-Q258.344.061.59%) will sell the new iPhone 4 unlocked in Canada, allowing consumers to buy the phone online and shop it around to the wireless service provider of their choice.

Though Apple will also sell the phones through its retail stores and the stores of carriers offering service for the device, such as Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI.B-T37.500.441.19%) and Telus Corp. (T-T39.130.340.88%), the Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant has decided to sell the phone “commitment-free” to customers who may want to roam internationally.

Having an unlocked phone means users can take the handset around the world, popping in SIM cards for other global carriers that use the same wireless technology standard.

So far in this country, if you buy an iPhone from a certain provider you have to stick with that provider. Usually, the carrier chips in a subsidy that lowers the cost of the device in exchange for a long-term contract. Apple’s new offer changes the game.
I wonder how hard it will be to find prepaid micro-SIMs.

Cold Warrior
Jun 16, 2010, 10:17 PM

I wonder how hard it will be to find prepaid micro-SIMs.
roll your own
Cut My Sim

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
roll your own
Cut My Sim
Heh, that's awesome. I would have assumed there are electronics in the cut off areas, but I guess not.

P.S. That reminds me of my hacksaw GeForce2MX mod to fit a PC video card into my Cube. And yes, it works just fine.

Warning… Blog post (from 2006) --> Everything Apple: Video card too big for Cube? Use a hacksaw!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 10:39 PM

Heh, that's awesome. I would have assumed there are electronics in the cut off areas, but I guess not.

P.S. That reminds me of my hacksaw GeForce2MX mod to fit a PC video card into my Cube. And yes, it works just fine.

Warning… Blog post (from 2006) --> Everything Apple: Video card too big for Cube? Use a hacksaw!
sicko

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Just for testing purposes my friend.

My main setup is actually the Core i7 iMac with a 24" LCD sitting beside it, with desktop spanning. The MBP is purely my mobile machine and couch surfer.

Back on topic… Would a micro-SIM from an iPhone 4 work in an iPad? I assume it wouldn't work the other way around though (since the iPad has no voice support), or would it? Not that there's much point in doing that but I'm just wondering.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 12:17 AM

Aha! Canada gets a fully unlocked iPhone 4, so presumably anyone willing to pay full price could swan across the border and get one that will work worldwide? Presumably by paying in cash?

The real question is whether you'd have to sign up for a 2-year contract in the US or whether you could get a pre-paid plan. Does anyone know of any pre-paid iPhone plans in the US?

The reason I'm asking is that my daughter has a job where she spends half the year in the US and half the year in Sweden. Obviously, she'd rather not be paying under a contract when she's not here for half the year...

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2010, 02:04 AM

What does your Order Status on Apple.com say ?

-t
I got it from the ATT store
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Aha! Canada gets a fully unlocked iPhone 4, so presumably anyone willing to pay full price could swan across the border and get one that will work worldwide?
Yes. That's what a friend will be doing. He's Canadian but spends most of his time overseas. He has a Rogers account in Canada, but also a local account overseas.

Presumably by paying in cash?
Will Apple even take that much cash at the store? Credit card.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 08:56 AM

Will Apple even take that much cash at the store? Credit card.
At one point, Apple wasn't accepting cash for the iPad in the US, you needed a credit card with a US address. Who knows what Apple might require? A Canadian credit card?

Even at the end of an iPhone's contract in the US, you can't get Apple to unlock the phone...whereas every other phone must be unlocked by law under those circumstances (upon request--most are just trashed...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules