Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Huge iTunes library problem!

Huge iTunes library problem!
volcano
Senior User
Feb 24, 2007, 09:49 PM

Holy crap!

I seriously need some help. Here's the deal:

All my music is on an external hard-drive that I connect to my MBP on a daily basis. I have a small library on my computer, but everything is on my external. When I need to switch libraries, I simply do the option-click trick when I click on iTunes.

This afternoon everything was fine. Now I come home to find my library completely empty! I pointed iTunes to the correct library file on my external hard-drive and NOTHING shows up in iTunes. I even tried loaded my small library from my computer.... again, nothing! What the hell happened? Why did my library vanish? I seriously need help. I do not want to lose ALL that data from the past 2 years =(

FYI: All my music files are still there, just not in my library. Argh!

I've tried: logging out, restarting, updating, and I tried different iTunes libraries. Nothing works.

glypht
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2007, 11:18 AM

Sounds like you may have overwritten your library file.

Worst case scenario: you'll have to re-import your music files into iTunes. You'll lose your saved playlists and playcounts, but other than that I don't think it's that big of a deal.

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Feb 25, 2007, 01:05 PM

Ugh. I was hoping that wasn't the case. It wouldn't be such a big deal, but my data on that runs almost 2 years back and I want to throw up at the thought of re-importing all my music. I have almost 150GB of music. =(

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Feb 25, 2007, 02:46 PM

Oh my god. I actually figured it out.

I was about to cry. I didn't want to lose my playlists/play counts/ratings from the past two years.

But here's what I found out: in my folder where my typical iTunes Library database file is, I found a Temp File that was huge (like 35mb). I renamed it to 'iTunes library,' opt-clicked iTunes, and it LOADED perfectly =) Don't ask me why it magically turned into a temp file, but all is well now!

edjogs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 06:29 AM

Hi Volcano.
I also have a completely blank Library. I had accidentally moved the temporary files to the recycle bin and even though I restored them my library is still empty. I read your post but I don't know what you mean by "opt-click" Could you explain the reinstatement process in more detail please. My OS is Vista Business.
Thanks.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 07:51 AM

search for the .mpg's with spotlight

Forum Links
Forum Rules