Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > E3 Wrap-up

E3 Wrap-up
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 09:32 AM

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 09:46 AM

from reddit:
Brilliant take - pretty accurate.

MS kicked some serious ass, showing actual gameplay and announcing release dates(!) of their key upcoming exclusives (Fable II, GOW II), and of other big games (Rockband II, Guitar Hero World Tour, RE5), stole FFXIII exclusivity, and announced a better dashboard with more features. They had such a stacked showing, they decided at the last minute to pull the announcement of a new Halo game, so they could save it for its own event. They did try and introduce a bunch of things for the "mainstream" gaming audience, hence the PA depiction of them as being unclear on what they are, but as long as they still bring the goods for hardcore gamers, as they are doing, everyone should end up happy.

Nintendo brought in the enhanced motion sensor attachment, which provides what I believe should have been there in the first place - true 1:1 movement input. They bragged for awhile about selling a bazillion Wiis, and announced two games that look like balls (from my perspective) - Wii sports rehashed in a beach setting (yay, I can throw a frisbee to a doggie!), and Wii music, which looks to be best mastered by flailing your arms wildly. Not particularly impressed. Hence the depiction as arrogant but useless.

Sony announced functionality available on Xbox for 2 years, failed to announce even a Home BETA (that's rapidly becoming a huge debacle for them, as Google and MS appear to have beaten them to the punch), and showed off a prerendered GOWIII trailer. One thing that did impress was their demo of MAG - a multiplayer squad based shooter with support for 256 players in one game. That was the one ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak showing. Their big line was "if this is how we look in year 2, imagine what year 3 and beyond will be like", hence their depiction of a beggar asking for just one more year to make good on their promises.
we don't have time to stop for gas

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 11:01 AM

I think it shows how starved the industry is for innovation that Nintendo can make a bajillion dollars selling innovation with no frigging content.

Yes, I have a Wii, would drop the money on a WiiFit if I could find one, and now I want this beach bullshit too.

What's wrong with us?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 11:51 AM

nintendos showing was pathetic. What they are doing now is so far removed from what I want. They really are completely abandoning their core audience in favor of soccer moms and rabid nintendo fanboys who will buy anything.

The Motion Plus add-on is kind of a joke too. It basically makes the Wii do what it was supposed to do from the beginning. I mean, I guess I find that interesting, but really it just fixes my utter disappointment in what they had been offering. Seriously, the whole thing was based around this amazing new control scheme, and 90% of what they did with it was replace a button press with a wrist flick. Whoop-de-f*****-do. Now we might actually get something interesting, but we'll have to buy something to get it and they are going to split the user base.

Sony's show was more of the "look what we have in two years!" type of stuff. MAG looks cool, but was just a target render, so who knows when or what we will actually be getting. God of War 3 is coming! no duh. Thanks for the nothing teaser.

Killzone, Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 looked cool, but they've been showing us that stuff for years.

Microsoft was also more of the same. No new games shown. RE5, Fable and Gears all looked great, but I already knew that. FF13 is a big deal and it isn't. Doesn't matter much to me, but it's a big deal for them.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
nintendos showing was pathetic. What they are doing now is so far removed from what I want. They really are completely abandoning their core audience in favor of soccer moms and rabid nintendo fanboys who will buy anything.
But dude... NINTENDO IS MAKING MONEY! LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY! And they are selling the most systems! That's good for consumers right? Right?

I have been saying this for years but if falls on deaf ears to the fanboys as all they care about is a Zelda game every 5 years and the hope that Nintendo makes money.

What the hell did anyone think was going to happen? Nintendo has found out that the casual/girl market is more profitable as they can just pump out a short, overly simple, quick and dirty game and it sells like nuts because so many people have the cheap wii hardware and want something to do with it.

I mean look at Wii fit. couldn't have taken more than a year to make it and it gets all sorts of complaints that the music sucks and you can't change it nor can you just jump right into a specific workout. Also over 75% (or something) never play the game again after the first week. But it sells like mad.

Why would Nintendo spend 2-3 years making a quality game like GTA or even another Zelda when the development costs are so high and won't sell much better than mario party 23.

Nintendo is at the point now that MS was in when IE took over the market and it was YEARS before they updated the browser again.

On top of all that the Wii isn't cheap at all when you take into account the expensive controllers and all the peripherals Nintendo has been selling us bit by bit. All us Wii owners know we are paying the same for it in the end as an Xbox but we are paying in installments and still not getting an equal product.

Hardcore Nintendo fans need to admit that Nintendo doesn't care about us anymore. They want the impulse buyers that aren't picky and are happy with tons of silly minigames.

This Wii Plus controller is ridiculous even if it does come with Wii Sports resorts as you still have to buy extra ones if you plan on playing it with anyone else. And who the hell plays wii sports by themselves anyway?

80% of the people I know with a Wii have 1 game. Wii Sports. I am constantly looking for a wii game to make it justifiable but I don't like minigames over and over again.

With the gamecube Nintendo tried to push the technology edge and I said it was still worth it for Metroid and Zelda but even the new super Mario galaxies was fun but I finished it in 4 days and don't care to pick it up again.

The Nintendo I knew is dead.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 01:57 PM

Well... Gee.

Animal Crossing is neat.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Blah Blah Blah...they decided at the last minute to pull the announcement of a new Halo game, so they could save it for its own event...Blah Blah Blah
What? Are we talking Halo 4 or a spinoff?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
What? Are we talking Halo 4 or a spinoff?

LEGO™ Halo.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2008, 05:17 PM

Aww, isn't that cute.

Forum Links
Forum Rules