Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can MacBook Air replace a deskop?

Can MacBook Air replace a deskop?
shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 01:50 PM

I've been waiting for Macworld, hoping to see a refresh of the MacBook line. It's the last line to remain in the white plastic casing, which I love, but admit is outdated following the recent iMac redesign and the iPhone and iPod Touch releases.

I'm starting to travel more for work, and can borrow Windows laptops from my IT department, which is a pain in the ass, or just get myself a laptop from Apple, which is what I really want. Because it's so easy to rig a MacBook with an additional monitor and keyboard at home, I had been planning to purchase one after the next update, and give away my CoreDuo iMac.

Now that the MacBook Air is out, it seems far more suited to traveling because of its lighter weight and slim dimensions. I'm not really looking for an ultraportable, but it seems respectably outfitted and not as underpowered as I might expect an ultraportable to be. The key thing for me is, I want a laptop that is well suited for travel (so 2.5 less sounds good), but will also serve me well as my primary computer at home. I'm pretty sure the next MacBook update will be a significant one, but I don't know that I want to wait.

Just thought I'd ask you all to weigh in. Is the MacBook Air going to shine best as a secondary/travel computer, or can it make a solid at-home primary computer?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2008, 01:52 PM

Just get a MacBook and a 20" external monitor for home.

That will cost you way less than a MacBook Air (plus external SuperDrive plus USB 2 hub), and will be far more functional.

milhouse
Senior User
Jan 16, 2008, 02:15 PM

IMO, it can replace a desktop but, performance wise, it would be like using a two or three year old machine. Feature wise, it has a lot going for it but it's largely the difference between sizzle and steak IMO.

If you want the tiny form factor and portability in your desktop setup or would be satisfied with the power of the Air AND would avoid purchasing a desktop and MB or MBP, it might work in your favor to pick up an Air.

For me, the Air, in it's current form, would not cut it as a desktop replacement. Of course, it does have that *drool* factor and, I suspect, many will rationalize a purchase.
"-Dodge This"

shinykaro  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 02:22 PM

Performance wise, yeah, it would be behind my 2 year old iMac, though it could probably handle most of what I need it to do.

The lack of ports is an issue though. Not so concerned with ethernet, but no FireWire is a pain.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
Performance wise, yeah, it would be behind my 2 year old iMac, though it could probably handle most of what I need it to do.

The lack of ports is an issue though. Not so concerned with ethernet, but no FireWire is a pain.
A huge pain IMO.

No target mode, no support for my 2.5" Firewire portable drive, & no support for my camcorder.

In fact, that's a deal killer IMO, even for a second computer.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 04:13 PM

I think very very few people will have the Air as the only computer in the house so I don't see missing ports and such a problem.

shinykaro  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 04:47 PM

Well that was easy.

When is there ever such a clear consensus in the forums here?

I'll be getting a MacBook next week. Just have to sort out the reimbursement deal with my employer. Woohoo!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 06:21 PM

I think the only rationale for the air is the coolness, or if you have real back issues and cannot carry the (slightly) heavier MacBook.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 07:38 PM

Yeah - I think the lack of FireWire relegates the MBA to secondary computer use for most users - at least anyone who has bought a FireWire peripheral in the last decade...

hokie17
Jan 16, 2008, 08:55 PM

That's the thing that really amazes me, the lack of FireWire, coming from the company that pioneered it.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2008, 12:53 AM

Shiny,
good decision to go with the Macbook. I make a living as a tech and it seems that the last year has really seen my skills expand. I specialize in setting up home offices. For this kind of project I only take on certain clients. But one thing I always tell my customers when they ask if they should buy a laptop is... if it's the right one.. yes.
My main computer for my home and business has been in order: a 17" powerbook, a 12" powerbook, a 12" powerbook and an Acer Ferrari 4200, a Core Duo Macbook pro, and now a Macbook core2duo. You'd be amazed how many people think a laptop can't be a main computer. But the day has come for the laptop. It has all the power you need. If you do CAD work or video editing or play video games go the MBP route. Aside from that, you'll just want to find a good powered USB hub, and maybe some good firewire drive cages. (firewire, if you didn't know, as opposed to USB, you can daisychain a whole array of firewire devices, and only need to plug in 1 cord!)

Things you'll need:
Macbook
mini dvi to VGA or DVI adapter from Apple
good keyboard mouse combo
USB hub that comes with a power supply
a good, large monitor of your choice
speakers
back up and storage hard drives
lots of zip ties and some self adhesive ..... thingamajiggers... you stick them up and you can run zip ties through them to keep everything nice and tidy.

Thats about all you need and you've got yourself your own setup.

Good luck.
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Yeah - I think the lack of FireWire relegates the MBA to secondary computer use for most users - at least anyone who has bought a FireWire peripheral in the last decade...
But do people still buy firewire peripherals? Even apple has moved mainly to USB even for iPods. The only case someone might use Firewire is for an external drive but they all also have USB and with timecapsule, wifi and thumbdrives there are plenty of ways to move files around.

The only time I can see someone needing firewire is to hook up a video camera and the people who buy a Air with a 80 gig hard drive and 4200RPM drive are not the type who want to do that anyway.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
But do people still buy firewire peripherals? Even apple has moved mainly to USB even for iPods. The only case someone might use Firewire is for an external drive but they all also have USB and with timecapsule, wifi and thumbdrives there are plenty of ways to move files around.

The only time I can see someone needing firewire is to hook up a video camera and the people who buy a Air with a 80 gig hard drive and 4200RPM drive are not the type who want to do that anyway.
It's easily possible to transfer DV video without dropped frames with a 4200 rpm laptop (2.5") drive. However, I don't know how well that would work with a 4200 iPod (1.8") drive.

However, it's impossible to transfer that video without the port obviously.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post

Well, I have a couple of FireWire-only external drives that I still use. I'm sure Apple would love for me to buy one of their Time Capsule drives to replace them!

My FireWire-only iPod did finally die in the last year, so check that one off.

It would suck, though, to have a DV camera with iLink or FireWire and not be able to import. It's kind of funny that the MBA comes with iMovie and GarageBand (not to mention iDVD), considering the current pain in getting any content for those two apps to the device...

I'm not saying there's no market for it - just that in the current state of things, it would be a pain to live with as one's only computer for many people. To me, it would've been worth the extra 0.05" or so to add a FW port.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 04:09 PM

This is clearly not a computer for everyone, and probably not for most people who make extensive use of GB or iMovie.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 04:17 PM

Could a MacBook Air replace a desktop? Depends on what you do with it.

For my wife, yes it could. She uses email, Safari, Pages, iCal and Preview and really not much else. She prints via AirPort from her current machine, so the only thing she needs to ever plug in to her machine is her iPhone to sync the calendar & address book. She had an iMac G5, but I bought her a MacBook when they first came out because she wanted something that took up less space on her desk, something that she could put in a drawer if she wanted to, and something she could occasionally take out of town with her. She'd be perfectly content with a MBA.

Could I use it as a primary machine? Impossible. Would it make a good second computer for me? Yes, definitely. I take my laptop with me a lot, but I want something smaller/lighter/easier to carry. I might want/need an internal optical, so I'm still debating, but I could enjoy the MBA very much.

In fact, I'm afraid if I get one, she'll want one, too (just like she did with the iPhone).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It's easily possible to transfer DV video without dropped frames with a 4200 rpm laptop (2.5") drive. However, I don't know how well that would work with a 4200 iPod (1.8") drive.

However, it's impossible to transfer that video without the port obviously.
DV is only about 3.75MBps (30Mbps); a 1.8" drive even on USB2 (but with a better chipset than an iPod) should be able to keep up with that for a sequential write/read.

Forum Links
Forum Rules