Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Concept for rumored budget iPhone recalls original iMac design

Concept for rumored budget iPhone recalls original iMac design
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 4, 2013, 08:12 AM

A designer commissioned by UK site Myvouchercodes has developed a concept for the rumored budget iPhone said to be due later this year. If the rumored Apple device looks anything like designer Nickolay Lamm's render, Apple might find itself selling two iPhones each to some customers; a high-end device for power users who might also be nostalgic for a retro-futuristic entry model resembling the original iMac. Lamm based his design on leaked information regarding the appearance of the device, which hint at a see-through plastic case in a variety of color options.

The leaked information [sub. req.] Lamm drew from came from the historically hit-or-miss Taiwanese site Digitimes, which can sometimes gain an insight into Apple and other company's plans thanks to its sources in the Taiwanese upstream supply chain. According to Digitimes' sources, "the entry-level iPhone will adopt a chassis mixed with plastic and metal, with the internal metal parts being able to be seen from outside through special design..."

There have been persistent rumors circulating recently suggesting that Apple is prepping a "low cost" version of its iPhone. It is said to be aimed particularly at the large pre-paid markets in countries like China and India. Apple's market share in developing smartphone markets is comparatively weak, largely because of the high costs associated with purchasing a new iPhone upfront. Although Apple has often continued selling superseded devices to help make the iPhone more affordable, the rumored device would, for example, retain the larger 4-inch display of the iPhone 5. [via Pocket-lint]

burger
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 10:35 AM

Really.....

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2013, 11:42 AM

Oh no, tell me it isn't true! Tell me that Apple isn't going to uglify the new budget iPhone with greenish, see-through plastic to drive users to the pricer version. It's start out looking awful, like a cheap kid's toy, and, with a bit of aging and scratching, will look even worse, like a thrown-away kid's toy.

I'd rather having something commonplace that's at least attractive, something like the 3G/3GS look with up-to-date technology inside.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 12:34 PM

It's going to be covered with a case anyway, and if the price/features are right then I like it.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Grendelmon
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 01:16 PM

How come nobody is calling bullshit with DigiTimes?

pairof9s
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 02:04 PM

At most, this was a possible concept model. I see no reason to think Apple will "revert" to this type of design when so much effort goes into making their product line similar in style.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 06:19 PM

Bet you have an Android device too!

On another note, an iDevice with a see-thru casing that shows the battery to iOS users but does not let them touch it or replace is plain cruel!

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 06:21 PM

Bet you are already rubbing your hands together at the $50 bump up in value of Apple shares!

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 06:37 PM

The puck mouse of the old iMacs was unusable (like most Apple's mice anyways); but the way the colors textures and edge radii were matched together did make for a joyful yet elegant look, not the least as striking as the industrial design on any late Apple product.

Don't get why they get bashed all the time. Hard edge is nice to look at, but nasty to touch, the proposed design brings back the nice palm (and pocket) fitting curved back surfaces of the first iPhone with the dash of individuality the color provides without putting on a case, except maybe a simple silicone rubber bumper to enhance the grip.

Forum Links
Forum Rules