Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Amazon axes Zombieland, Browsers TV pilots; picks up two others

Amazon axes Zombieland, Browsers TV pilots; picks up two others
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 17, 2013, 07:35 PM

Amazon has cancelled two television pilots, after poor screenings. The television version of Zombieland will not be made into a series by the internet retailer, nor will Bebe Neuwirth's musical comedy Browsers about interns at a Huffington Post-esque website. Amazon has picked up John Goodman's Washington DC satire Alpha House, and Silicon Valley sitcom Betas.

Zombieland Writer/Producer Rhett Reese tweeted the cancellation, adding that fans of the original insured that there would not be a television continuation. He tweeted that "I'll never understand the vehement hate the pilot received from die-hard Zombieland fans. You guys successfully hated it out of existence."

The push for original and exclusive content by Amazon is the latest move by streaming services to try and entice audiences to subscribe. Main competitor Netflix has seen success with new episodes of Arrested Development and House of Cards, and recently started production on filming a sci-fi series from the creators of The Matrix and Babylon 5.

JackWebb
May 18, 2013, 04:52 PM

I watched the betas episode just b/c of the tech interest. It was a bit amusing in a very depraved way but not actually lol funny. Perhaps the two main entrepreneur characters will have a chance to contrast themselves to all of the sick characters around them.

GaryDeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2013, 09:55 PM

Zombieland was the only one I saw that was worth watching. Hope someone else picks it up...

Geoduck
Forum Regular
May 20, 2013, 10:00 AM

Good move. Some things stand on their own and to try to resurrect them into a series would only produce an undead abomination. Zombiland the Series would have had all the appeal of an actual zombie.
As far as Browsers, who thought a musical comedy would work on TV?
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Forum Links
Forum Rules