Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > The Theming Community and Tiger

View Poll Results: Do you like the direction Tiger's GUI is heading?
Poll Options:
Yes. I like it. 15 votes (68.18%)
No! I want Panther/other theme back. 7 votes (31.82%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
The Theming Community and Tiger
Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 09:13 PM

Hello all.

I have been noticing lately that the UI elements of Tiger have been going in a direction I really don't like. It seems like Apple is getting into the gradient fad, where EVERYTHING has a gradient. The apple menu background, spotlight, window toolbars, lots of stuff in mail, and, of course, the menu bar. I, for one, am absolutely DISGUSTED with the way this UI is going. I strongly dislike the "thick" control's that Tiger seems to love, and instead prefer the nice flat look that is Panther. The thick GUI is what makes me dislike the Windows GUI, and I would hate to see Tiger's GUI follow the same trend.

I was wondering what the theming community thinks of this. Am I way off base? Does everyone like the changes? There WILL be a ShapeShifter for Tiger, right?

Is anyone planning to release "Panther" themes for Tiger? I would love to run Max's Aqua Extreme, as it is now, on Tiger, without the annoying gradient and gloss effects.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2005, 08:15 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. Apple always makes huge changes to the UI within the last few builds. I still remember when Apple had that winking iMac or whatever on the startup screen for 10.2 It wasn't until the final builds it was replaced with the grey Apple. The MWSF build thats available already makes pretty big changes to the WWDC style build.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

revmitcz
Jan 13, 2005, 08:40 PM

What I REALLY wanna know (and I know I'm not alone here) is how much more, or less, modifications can be made to Tiger's GUI and will SS 3.0 (assuming that would be the version released around the time of Tiger) be able to take advantage of new things that were otherwise impossible with older versions?

I'm well aware Unsanity doesn't like to discuss features before they're made available, and I respect that, but I think safely alluding to certain features/enhancements would be a nice thing to know

If you'd still like to stay vague - the basic question is (and really the only thing I most miss about the Kaleidoscope/OS 9 days) can we finally use dark themes with ALL apps? (photoshop - I'm looking in your direction). As I understand it, this is Adobe's fault mostly, but certainly there's gotta be a resource SOMEWHERE that we can mod to make light grey/white icons/text in PS windows so dark themes can be usable and PS elements visible.
RevMitcz.com : home of moi.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 08:54 PM

to me this doesnt seem at all relevant

if u use shape shifter u dont have to deal w/ the "aqua" state or w/e they gonna call it this time

just apply ur favorite theme and forget about that icky tiger

that's why we're called the themeing community

Forum Links
Forum Rules