Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Boot camp on a 24 inch iMac

Boot camp on a 24 inch iMac
bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 11:33 AM

Anyone using boot camp running XP with other video editing software for XP? Since apple doesn't support editing mpeg2, I have to use windows software but I don't want to buy a windows machine unless I have to. I could convert the file but loose to much quality in the process. Just need to know if any complications doing this on 24 inch iMac. tnks
Randy

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 19, 2007, 08:36 PM

An Intel iMac should work fine for ANY Windows application. As with any video editing, I personally would max out the RAM and make sure I had plenty of fast hard drive space available. How is your iMac set for those?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 19, 2007, 09:32 PM

why not convert mpeg2 to something else, then edit it? I don't think the quality loss would be THAT bad, if you used the right codecs. Have you tried it yet?

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 10:29 PM

I've been using mpegstreamclip which isn't to bad. What degrades the video is 2 conversions. From mpeg2 to dv then back to mpeg2. I would like to be able to cut sections out of the mpeg2 and add effects and music without to conversion process. I have 2gb ram with the 256mb video card option. Works pretty good. With the price of the 2gb ram modual dropping almost in half, might add that to max the iMac to 3 gb. Want to see what cs3 looks like before I do anything. The octo mac pro should be out the same time too (drool). Thanks for the replies.
Randy

Forum Links
Forum Rules