Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > question about desktop/finder

question about desktop/finder
dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 03:40 PM

This may be a really dumb question but here goes anyway.

In all the photographs and videos previewing Leopard, the desktop shows just the dock without the macintosh hd in the upper right corner where is usually is. In fact, it is not on the desktop at all.

When I installed Leopard today (my copy arrived at 9:15 am, my hard drive is still there. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Was the preview photographs and video just edited so the hard drive is not there to make it look better?

Thanks for the help

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2007, 03:44 PM

It's an option -- you can turn on/off displaying things like hard drives on the desktop. I turn it off.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 03:47 PM

I think they didn't want to draw attention away from 'new' 10.5 things in the video, so they hid the desktop icon.

Command+, while having Finder as your active application and you can select what you want on your desktop.

I only have my internet hard drive and mounted images, and files I put on the desktop showing. I don't want external drives or mounted volumes showing.

dmcnickle  (op)
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I think they didn't want to draw attention away from 'new' 10.5 things in the video, so they hid the desktop icon.

Command+, while having Finder as your active application and you can select what you want on your desktop.

I only have my internet hard drive and mounted images, and files I put on the desktop showing. I don't want external drives or mounted volumes showing.
Thanks for the info.
Another dumb question, if you don't have external drives or mounted volumes showing, how do you access what is in them - especially your hard drive?
I guess I have never used the complete functionality of the Mac OS.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 03:59 PM

For sake of conversation, or in Cold Warriors' case, you hide all hard drives from your desktop. You can click the Finder icon in your dock and that will open a Finder window.
I can't remember the keyboard shortcuts, but with the Finder as the active app you can click on the Go menu and choose a location (and see the keyboard shortcuts for them).

There are a few ways to get a Finder window without double clicking on a desktop HD. Once you're in a Finder window the Finder sidebar has all of your mounted drives and hard drives.
I like the clean desktop look and my external drive that is plugged in is a backup drive, so I have no reason to be poking around in it. If I really have to look in it, I'll go in through the Finder sidebar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules