Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Slow responsiveness on iPhone

Slow responsiveness on iPhone
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 08:43 PM

Ok, so i've had my iPhone since launch day, and for the most part everything has been great. For the past couple of weeks, however, it seems really slow when I touch it.

Say I'm in the iPod mode, or browsing safari (or texting, or really any other mode besides home). When I click home, sometimes nothing happens. I press it again...nothing. Then I press it deliberately hard the 3rd time and it goes (harder than it used to need to be pressed). This happens a bunch, and even if I press it HARD first it still usually takes a few tries (it's not consistent this only happens sometimes).

Another thing is sometimes it seems like the touch screen is just not working. I hit SMS and nothing happens. once again, press deliberately, nothing happens. Finally it opens, but I don't get why it's starting to happen like this.

I've reinstalled the firmware, but to no avail (no hacks or anything by the way).

I'm scared to take it to an Apple store because it'll be just like a car mechanic, I know nothing will happen while I'm there and it'll work perfectly, they'll call me crazy, and I'll go home with the same iPhone. Any advice??? Has this been happening to anyone else?

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 09:52 PM

What you describe has happened to me, too. I was told to do a "soft" reset of the phone, off the cradle. I did that, and the problems disappeared.
Mac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme 750GB HD 4GB RAM w/23"ACD;
G4 Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz 1GB RAM; iPhone 8GB

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2007, 12:24 AM

The only thing I've found to be unacceptably slow is calling up an SMS conversation. It seems to take between 2 and 4 seconds to get a pre-existing conversation to come up. At first, just the app comes up, with a blank background. I thought maybe this meant I needed to clear some conversations and start fresh. Nope. Still slow... Even after multiple restarts. Will try an actual reset and see if that does anything.

BTW, I have +/- 400 MB of free space. I wonder if free space can affect the iPhone's performance?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 10:40 AM

I have several gigs of free space and mine is slow, especially starting up SMS -every- time. However, about once every three days it gets unbearably slow just trying to unlock it, requiring a restart. Even my Windows Treo only had to be restarted once a week or so!! 1.1.1 is horribly unstable compared to the previous version. Hopefully 1.1.2 will come out this week and clear up some of these problems.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2007, 02:37 AM

I also have a couple of gigs free, I took off a couple of movies after I reset it to see if that was the problem. It wasn't.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2007, 09:46 AM

I am in the same boat, really slow SMS recall times, and I have 6+ gigs of free space.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 01:36 AM

1.1.2 seems to fix most of this...at least for the time being

Block8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 09:06 AM

I've had the same problems when going into SMS.

I'm using a UK launch iPhone, and it started happening to me recently.

However, a soft reset fixed all problems for me.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 09:49 AM

Though the SMS slowness problem is still there, most of my other slowness problems seem to have gone away with 1.1.2. After a couple of days of using it, I can confirm that it is also more stable.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2007, 08:17 PM

the only issues with regard to speed is the virtual keyboard and typing while using edge
sometimes it can get very slugish
this is when I hate the virtual keyboard

amyjones09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 08:25 PM

i thought it might be a firmware update issue

Forum Links
Forum Rules