Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Ridding my Firefox of Searchqu Scumware

Ridding my Firefox of Searchqu Scumware
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2011, 07:22 AM

One negative thing about Windows is that since application installations almost always require installers, the installers can install things behind your back without you knowing. And that goes even for legitimate software. I've seen software installers try to install useless tool bars, most commonly the Ask tool bar.

Usually this software can be gotten rid of easily enough, but I've found one that's persistent. It's called Searchqu, and despite my attempts to rid my system of it, I haven't succeeded in ridding myself of this pest completely. There's also a component installed with it called Conduit Engine (or something like that). This software hijacks your browser search bar, directing it to this lame Searchqu search instead.

I've tried getting rid of it from within the browsers affected, and I've succeeded in all browsers (I believe) except for Firefox, where it reappeared after a Firefox upgrade. I've also tried getting rid of the associated files in Program Files, but when I tried to trash Searchqu I was told it couldn't be moved because it was running.

I don't like this software sitting on my PC. Even though it's technically not classified as spyware or maleware, to me it feels like it is. What can I do to finally terminate this scumware? Are there any decent, free cleaner utilities that can help me?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2011, 07:26 AM

Have you tried these instructions yet? They seem to specifically address Firefox and Searchqu.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2011, 07:27 AM

Thank you very much, Glenn. I haven't tried that set of instructions yet, which are much more thorough than what I read through before. But looking at the Registry crap is reminding me why Windows still sucks in many respects.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules