Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Forstall left out of Ive's iPhone design meetings

Forstall left out of Ive's iPhone design meetings
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 2, 2012, 09:36 AM

Apple's former head of iOS, Scott Forstall, was left out of iPhone design meetings held by lead designer Jonathan Ive, according to Bloomberg sources. Despite the importance of software to the iPhone platform, the previously-known conflict between Ive and Forstall is said to have been so deep that the two executives were rarely in the same room. The absence from Ive's design meetings allegedly reaches back to before the first-generation iPhone shipped.

A series of reports this week have painted a negative portrait of Forstall as someone who didn't get along with fellow Apple executives. His departure may have even paved the way for the return of Bob Mansfield, who until recently was set to retire. Taking over Forstall's duties are Ive, Eddy Cue, and Craig Federighi, each handling different aspects of iOS in addition to some separate duties. Federighi, for instance, is now in charge of both iOS and OS X.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2012, 11:07 AM

I say it's roughly 50/50 that Google will hire Forstall. 50% against because he seems like the type that wants to be CEO, and Page is firmly installed as CEO of Google. 50% for just because he has insider Apple knowledge.

I'd say 75% in favor of Google hiring Forstall if he had been allowed to attend Jony Ive's iPhone design meetings. Google would probably be happy to fork over millions just for design and planning details. Enough money to make up for Forstall not being hired as CEO. But hey, sorry Scott. You were too much of a jerk to be invited.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2012, 11:18 AM

Does anyone know where all the backstabbing is coming from? The guy was just fired and is now up for the title of world's most evil person and is just behind Ahmadinejad by only 1 vote. I think Forstall will leave and start his own company, which should be quite successful, given his capabilities.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2012, 11:36 AM

I am quite certain that Apple and Forstall have more than a handful of signed, legal contracts and agreements between them that would prevent Forstall taking any kind of "insider" information to Google, including design and planning with regard to any product Apple has or will release in the future.

Sabon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2012, 11:39 AM

As soon as I saw that Forstall is leaving Apple, I immediately thought of Mansfield leaving and coming back. I fully believe Mansfield being tired of Forstall enough to retire was the last straw. It if hadn't been for everything else, Cook probably would have let Mansfield retire and not do anything about it. But with everything else, it was the last (or close to the last) straw.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zanziboy View Post
I think Forstall will leave and start his own company, which should be quite successful, given his capabilities.
Perhaps so, but if I were his age (he's younger than me) and was a multii-multi-millionaire I wouldn't waste another day working. I would travel, see the world, do volunteer work, enjoy life and stop worrying about making more and more money. They guy has enough to live comfortably for multiple lifetimes. But, I am sure he will keep chasing the mighty buck (gotta catch them all) until the day he is diagnosed with a nasty disease or gets hit by a bus. He has an opportunity that few people have. Of course he will pass on that opportunity, and then it will be too late....my 2 cents.

jalb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2012, 10:57 PM

> Perhaps so, but if I were his age (he's younger than me) and was a
> multii-multi-millionaire I wouldn't waste another day working. I would travel,
> see the world, do volunteer work, enjoy life and stop worrying about making
> more and more money.

You mean like Steve Jobs? Oh wait, he wasn't in it for the money. He was in it to make a difference in the world. If Forstall is of the same mindset, he won't work for a large company like Google or HP - like Jobs, he's going to start a company and see if he makes a difference.

You, my friend, see nothing beyond your death.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2012, 12:13 AM

It is sad to see how unimaginable it is that "work" is something you actually love doing.

People are conditioned to a clear difference between the annoying chores of work, and the joys of what they do in their "free time", rather than striving to combine the two.

Forum Links
Forum Rules