Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The future of the human/machine interface

The future of the human/machine interface
WildZero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2002, 11:34 PM

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/06/13/bionic.eye/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/06/13/bionic.eye/index.html</a>

How much longer before I can replace my computer monitor with a high end version of this?

So, will they perfect the machine/nervous system connection during our lifetimes?

I want to get wired...hand me the blue pill, please.
<a href="http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/reviews/horror/wild_zero.html" target="_blank">
UFOs, Zombies, Guns, Love, and Rock & Roll!!!
</a>

FERRO
Senior User
Jun 14, 2002, 12:26 AM

&lt;---- I am sorry to have to use this.

� FERRO 2001-2002

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 12:44 AM

methinks you've been watching too much anime, WildZero.. (I say this while discussing NG:Evangelion with a friend on AIM)

... but the tech is cool, I remember reading an article about something like this in development about a year ago... basically you'd see an outline of objects and not the object itself. I don't know if this is the same thing, but even thought it's not full sight, it's a huge improvement.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 08:36 AM

This has been put on the Louge each time the papers made anothe retelling of it.

There's been no notiicable improvments in the tech.

It's a pretty cool premise.

NOW WHAT I WANT :

The same tech.
The sensor is MUCH better than the human retina.
The sensor also recognizes IR and other wavelengths.

There's a computer inside my head and this tech rel;ays it to my visual cortex. Cool
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

WildZero  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2002, 08:48 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by cdhostage:
<strong>NOW WHAT I WANT :

The same tech.
The sensor is MUCH better than the human retina.
The sensor also recognizes IR and other wavelengths.

There's a computer inside my head and this tech rel;ays it to my visual cortex. Cool</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Ditto, but I want to be able to wire my entire nervous system to a computer. Sight, hearing, touch...I'd like to close my eyes and open them at the same time...Go anywhere without going anywhere...meet people who aren't there.

BTW - Earth Mk. II - I'm kind of old school...not a huge anime fan, but I admit to spending too much time reading William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, etc.
<a href="http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/reviews/horror/wild_zero.html" target="_blank">
UFOs, Zombies, Guns, Love, and Rock & Roll!!!
</a>

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2002, 09:58 AM

Speech recognition.

Sub-dermal microphone (used in some larynx replacements).

In-ear speakers.

In-eye display.

iPod-sized computer.

Airport (most likely it's successor).

'nuff said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules