Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Hooking up 2 routers on a Home Network

Hooking up 2 routers on a Home Network
luckyb0y2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2005, 07:56 PM

Basically, Im living upstairs and my 2 roomates are living downstairs. I have a computer and an xbox and so does one of my roomates (the other roomate just has a comp). Therefore we need 5 wired outputs from this one router.

I have another router, but apparently that won't work. I keep messing with the IP address of the router and the Subnet mask, but anything I get to work will only work for a matter of hours.

In conclusion is there an easier way, like using a switch for example... If not please someone help me out with the settings.

P.S. please explain in detail because im not the most technically savvy guy.

THANK YOU!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2005, 08:55 PM

You CAN use your router, but the trick is to NOT use the "WAN" or "Broadband" (or whatever it's called) port. The other four ports on a "4-port router" are basically a switch. Run a cable from the doenstairs router into one of the LAN ports on your router, and it will do what you want.

Here's the details. Let's call your roommate's router "RouterA" and yours "RouterB." The downstairs equipment is "Computer A1," "Computer A2" and "Xbox A," and your stuff is "Computer B" and "Xbox B."

RouterA has a broadband input into its "WAN" or "Broadband" port. Computer A1 is plugged into LAN port 1, Computer A2 is plugged into LAN port 2, and Xbox A" is plugged into LAN port 3. A nice long ethernet cable goes from LAN port 4 to RouterB's LAN port 1. NOT into anything else, but LAN port 1.

Computer B is plugged into LAN port 2, and Xbox B is plugged into LAN port 3. That leaves you with one open port on RouterB.

Does that make sense?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

John Strung
Senior User
Aug 8, 2005, 09:07 PM

In addition to what GH says, you have to do two more things.

1. You have to turn off the DHCP server on the router that is not directly attached to the modem.
2. You have to change the LAN IP address of that router to something different from the other router. If router A is 192.168.1.1, change router B to 192.168.1.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules