Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ebaum: all guns blazing!

ebaum: all guns blazing!
Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 05:00 AM

Alcoholica
Feb 3, 2006, 06:10 AM

lol, seen it. I can't believe he's writing a formal letter... yet wrote "LOL". In capitals. I'm sure that's gonna be a mainstay of legal documents in the future.

BTW, are you the same Cubeoid that just joined the YTMND forums?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 10:45 AM

I didn't know what the letter was referencing to, so I questionned Google about this and found that many sites are accusing eBaum's World of hosting/reproducing content without the owner/creator permission. We're talking about masterpieces such as Badger Badger Badger, Laser Fart or a Tiger Wood video showing him doing a birdie... While it is indeed illegal to reproduce the content in question, it is unfair to bash on Mr. Bauman's site, when it is widely known that the videos offered in the website are available on a plethora of other similar websites, and on every campus server in the country.

Furthermore, did these people expect to make money out of these sketchy animation/home video? Most of them do it to have their name on the web and gain "reputation", with the admitted goal of their work being seen by the most people possible. They get very good exposure, free bandwidth and again free bandwidth and they are angry? I really don't get their point...

Wikipedia entry
Self-explanatory

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 11:01 AM

Screw eBaum and his crappy site for stealing and rebadging content, going so far as to remove protections that the authors put on their Flash movies to prevent them from being copied onto other sites. He claims that you can ask for any content to be removed if you don't want it on his site, but he ignores all requests. Thieving bastard.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
it is unfair to bash on Mr. Bauman's site
Nope. The dude was caught leeching a Sega game directly from Sega's servers, surrounded by revenue-generating ads. On top of that, he added code into every page of his site to DDOS Something Awful after a number of AS members complained about him removing their watermarks and putting his own on top of their original artwork, and thereby claiming credit for others' content.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 11:28 AM

I totally agree that the site is not acting properly in this regard, but, as I said, who doesn't? I know it's not a good way of thinking, but this is the Internet and it it implicitly said that when you publish something there, it will end up somewhere else. If he was alone doing this practice, it would be okay to criticize him, but how many dozens websites are doing the exact same thing without being bothered?

Some people are making funny video and want to share them.. where's the beef? Do you see the Numa numa guy complaining around that his "funny" video is distributed ad nauseam across the Net? Beside.. ytmnd is not in really good position to bark about copyright violation.. Its essence revolves around a background consisting of a copyrighted picture, over which a copyright song is played.. gasp, without any DRM!

[Edit: you did some research and edited your post while I was typing this]
I didn't know for the Sega game. As for the DOS (not a DDOS, as the code was simply a snippet to request data from the other server each time someone visited its site, potentially creating an overload), while I don't condone this immature behavior, I believe Mr. Bauman did this in response to abuse from AS members as well as threats.

Finally, I'm not saying he's 100% clean, but as for the original accusation of stealing other people's work, I've stumbled across many, many sites doing the same thing.. And everyone knows that he's not creating content shown at his site, but is merely hosting them (again, material that is widely available elsewhere).

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 11:47 AM

I totally agree that the site is not acting properly in this regard, but, as I said, who doesn't? I know it's not a good way of thinking, but this is the Internet and it it implicitly said that when you publish something there, it will end up somewhere else. If he was alone doing this practice, it would be okay to criticize him, but how many dozens websites are doing the exact same thing without being bothered?
Just because EBaum isn't the only one doesn't make the site less subject to scrutiny.

Some people are making funny video and want to share them.. where's the beef? Do you see the Numa numa guy complaining around that his "funny" video is distributed ad nauseam across the Net? Beside.. ytmnd is not in really good position to bark about copyright violation.. Its essence revolves around a background consisting of a copyrighted picture, over which a copyright song is played.. gasp, without any DRM!
MOST of the YTMNDs are original remixes of popular and "fad" content (the arrangers of the content are putting them together and making the sometimes-humorous associations by themselves). Of course, at the most basic level, arrangers take unaltered images, music, and add their own caption. However, plenty of the most popular entries actually took the authors a lot of work in image- and sound-editing software.

In the end, the nature of the site YTMND is quite different than EBaum, in the fact that YTMND is a not-for-profit hobby. EBaum actually believes he runs a legitimate company and takes the money made. YTMND's ads go straight to hosting.

Finally, I'm not saying he's 100% clean, but as for the original accusation of stealing other people's work, I've stumbled across many, many sites doing the same thing.. And everyone knows that he's not creating content shown at his site, but is merely hosting them (again, material that is widely available elsewhere).
Before, the watermark merely said "EBaum's World," giving the impression that the host owned rights, etc. Only very recently did they change the watermark to "hosted by."
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2006, 11:58 AM

but this is the Internet and it it implicitly said that when you publish something there, it will end up somewhere else.

Uh, not it's not. Far from it, actually.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 12:09 PM

As I clearly said, I do not condone his action and many things he did were plainly wrong. I know it's illegal, I know he doesn't play fair game, but does that justifiy that people physically threaten him, going as far as following him to his workplace? The fact that he is not the only one doing it does not make it more legit for him to do it, but he shouldn't be treated so harshly...
Originally Posted by mastrap
Uh, not it's not. Far from it, actually.
Again, as I said, it is not a good manner of thinking, but we must not lure ourselves: people do take images and sounds without permission.. I'm not saying it's right, but the web is the web...

As for ytmnd being more meritful for its content, I agree that some of the pages required a lot of work, but most of them are simply a static image, stacked in the background, with a popular song played in loop (without advanced editing) Example. I agree both sites are dissimilar, but as for copyright morale, the comparaison is still valid.
( Last edited by FireWire; Feb 3, 2006 at 12:22 PM. )

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 12:18 PM

As I clearly said, I do not condone his action and many things he did were plainly wrong. I know it's illegal, I know he doesn't play fair game, but does that justifies that people physically threaten him, going as far as following him to his workplace? The fact that he is not the only one doing it does not make it more legit for him to do it, but he shouldn't be treated so harshly...
As Chuck Norris once said, "Boys will be boys." However, I nor anyone else in this thread has condoned any physical action taken against EBaum. The creator of YTMND, meanwhile, deleted thousands of EBaum-related YTMNDs and pleaded with his members to calm things down.
Again, as I said, it is not a good manner of thinking, but we must not lure ourselves: people do take images and sounds without permission.. I'm not saying it's right, but the web is the web...
Yes, people steal things on the internet. But when people steal things and make money off of them without the owners' permission, it's a bit more complicated. Bauman claims to be running a legitimate business.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Bauman claims to be running a legitimate business.
Well, that claim is certainly far fetched! But, if you look at it, he takes the bandwidth charges on him, provide the content a high visibility and host it for free. I see it as a kind of bittorrent of even ifilm, the latter being very similar: presenting video while showing ads to recover the cost of the hosting. While it is definitively not legitimate, I fail to see why this site in particular is different from the myriad of others...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 12:41 PM

Well, that claim is certainly far fetched! But, if you look at it, he takes the bandwidth charges on him, provide the content a high visibility and host it for free.
1. Not everything is hosted on his site. See Sega's Monkey Ball incident.
2. He's doing far more with ad revenue than merely supporting the website.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
1. Not everything is hosted on his site. See Sega's Monkey Ball incident.
2. He's doing far more with ad revenue than merely supporting the website.
True. But in the first case, this is merely unethical: he's not being a good web citizen. But as far as I know, we do it all the time in the forum here: someone finds a good video, post the direct link url, MacNN traffic get to see MacNN's ads, thus generating revenue to the site, while leeching the other person's file without giving them the opportunity to display their own banners.
( Last edited by FireWire; Feb 3, 2006 at 01:04 PM. )

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 03:00 PM

This isn't really worth arguing anymore; I understand what you're saying, trying to advocate for the Devil, but I think the parallels you're drawing just don't quite make the mark. MacNN itself is not posting or pretending to host the works that make it onto the forum. And EBaum's use of Sega's game, which obviously was not submitted by Sega, is a clear violation of copyright among other things.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2006, 03:24 PM

So the YTMND people are allowed to reproduce copy protected images and audio without permission but Bauman isn't?
It's the devil's way now.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PookJP
So the YTMND people are allowed to reproduce copy protected images and audio without permission but Bauman isn't?
Again: "MOST of the YTMNDs are original remixes of popular and 'fad' content (the arrangers of the content are putting them together and making the sometimes-humorous associations by themselves). Of course, at the most basic level, arrangers take unaltered images, music, and add their own caption. However, plenty of the most popular entries actually took the authors a lot of work in image- and sound-editing software.

In the end, the nature of the site YTMND is quite different than EBaum, in the fact that YTMND is a not-for-profit hobby. EBaum actually believes he runs a legitimate company and takes the money made. YTMND's ads go straight to hosting."

Additionally, where pertinent, many YTMND arrangers credit the sources.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 04:42 PM

Eric Bauman is without a doubt, a worthless individual.

On many, many occasions he will take content from other sites, created by other artists, and methodically remove every watermark, caption and label that references the original author and slap it with an Ebaum's World logo and then proceed to make literally millions of dollars each year in revenue. (A banner ad appearing on one page will set you back about 30 grand at Ebaums)

Where I come from, we call that stealing.

Visit Ebaum's World Sucks for more information.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by PookJP
Fair-use stuff aside, YTMND content creators aren't making money. Bauman is. He shouldn't be. Max (The guy who runs YTMND) doesn't even make enough money off his ads to run the server cost. He runs it at a lost. ebaumsworld is making a profit off of other people's work without any kind of reference to the author.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules