Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 8800 GT Graphics Upgrade Kit - work on a Quad G5?

8800 GT Graphics Upgrade Kit - work on a Quad G5?
jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 9, 2008, 08:52 AM

Sorry for the new thread but this is a very specific question which I'm sure the many other Quad G5 owners are wondering.

Will the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Graphics Upgrade Kit work in a Quad G5? The G5 has PCI-Express 1 just like the older Mac Pro's so it would be a similar issue with the power requirements as with them.

It would be nice to jump up from the 7800 GT I have.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 09:05 AM

I don't think so... It would need to support both OpenFirmware and EFI and I don't think the previous X1900 did that; instead it had different editions for the PowerMacs and Mac Pros.

jebjeb  (op)
Senior User
Jan 9, 2008, 09:13 AM

I had a sneaking suspicion that may be the case, Mark. Thanks for the response.

Someone will try it out once they start shipping and we can wait and see the results. Maybe I just might have to upgrade to a new desktop...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 11:27 AM

Not likely. There were separate Radeon X1900XT cards for both Mac Pro and PowerMac G5, and I remember a few people getting the wrong card and it not working in their machine. It could be a case of different firmware, it could be something else.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules