Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook more responsive only after running maintenance script

Powerbook more responsive only after running maintenance script
macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 08:38 PM

So this is starting to get pretty bad. Im on a 1.5Ghz 17" PB with 1GB of ram. My processor starts moaning every time I do anything with video/word even YouTube let alone HD video which barely plays. Even when im just surfing it starts to make that running noise and starts to heat up till I quit what im doing and just stick to one open app (like right now I have just Firefox open and Im typing this up. The moans been on, it went quiet for 10 seconds and hasn't shut up since)

Also this might have to do with ram, but lately I notice myself running OnyX way too often to run the maintenance script. After doing that and restarting, the whole experience becomes slightly more bearable. This lasts for about 2 days till I want to run OnyX again.

Im also starting to see the beach ball way too many times. It might be time for me to move on to a MBP, but I still think this is a pretty solid machine. I dont know if there's something wrong with it or my tasks are just getting too demanding (which they're really not to be honest)

Any suggestions?

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2007, 12:14 AM

Have you installed any software recently? You might want to check activity monitor or look in your log files to see if something is amiss.

I had a similar problem once with a network updater from Sophos Antivirus that wasn't configured properly. It kept trying to contact the server for updates and was logging up hundreds of error messages in the log files. My system was running at 100% CPU load constantly and moved as fast as glacier, until the software was updated and fixed.
mavafyipdq

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 02:14 PM

How much free disc space do you have? That will make a surprising amount of difference. Your PB should be fine, and slowing down like that is not normal, so check your available disc space, try creating a fresh account without any apps on it and see whether something you're running is slowing it down.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 07:43 PM

You should be on the latest OS version, fully updated and all apps should be current. If you are on 10.4 there should be no need to run maintenance scripts manually. Hopefully you Repair Permissions immediately before and immediately after each installation of anything, especially drivers. Note that simply repairing permissions once in a while is not adequate.

Also what peeb said. If you do have at least 50% hard drive space available and current properly maintained software you may need to do an archive and reinstall of the OS.

-Allen Wicks

macboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks guys for the response. I did an archive and install a couple months ago when this was really a big problem (it took nearly 2 minutes for the thing to shut down) After that it was much better, but its starting to get worse again.

I have close to 40GB free out of the 80GB that's available. I'm expecting 2 x 1gb sticks soon but I dont know if that would make things better. Its feels like something is bogging down the OS.

Anyone using the Digg widget and noticing sluggish behavior on a Powerbook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules