Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car dealer makes a mistake...how do I swing this?

Car dealer makes a mistake...how do I swing this? (Page 2)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
He wasn't picking on kids. He was just pointing out pretension.

Depends on what you are referring to. If as a family you go to the park, saying "we went to the park" is ok. If mom and dad get it on in the bed two bedrooms from you, you don't say "We had sex last night"

Well if that is the agreement you and your partner came to...

Ok.. I did lots of things as a kid. That doesn't make it right..

~You know the man you hate? You look like him everyday!~
Everyone sing!

Unless you are RailRoaders dad I suggest you take your rant elsewhere!11
This was probably the most ridiculous nonsensical reply you have ever made. And that's saying a lot when it comes to your standards.

I get standing up for your "friends" Kev, but that was just inane.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 28, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
This was probably the most ridiculous nonsensical reply you have ever made. And that's saying a lot when it comes to your standards.

I get standing up for your "friends" Kev, but that was just inane.
Read the bolded part, and then look at your reply you just posted.
The very idea that you are making/made a big deal out of what he said was inane BTW.
BTW I wasn't sticking up for anyone. Just being HONEST.

The ONLY person I regularly talk to in here is Doofy. And he can attest to that. And we mostly talk about guitar talk.
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 28, 2007 at 11:35 AM. )

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
They all are. People usually take better care of what they payed MORE for.
If you looked into Toyota's manufacturing strategy you'd know more what I mean.

But I take it your just trying to be rude here as usual, in your suggestion that I don't take care of it (you should read the thread about jumping to conclusions). I wonder what "care" one should give electric windows and locks so they don't break. Should I take them apart and lube them? Other things are debatable. I bought it new. I used to have several old (about 20y.o.by now) nissans and toyotas that I bought used and kept longer than this and I was able to take care of them just fine...just like my honda. Most are little problems to me, all together they piss me off but I would be happy If I could just get the oil gelling problem fixed.

Class action against Toyota for factory defect
Toyota engine oil sludging or gelling
Car Talk

This is a major issue and I took mine in 2 months after I got it, and kept taking back because I was having to add a quart of oil every week. Toyota has 2 excuses they have used on people I have read them on the net and they used one on me.

1. You can't provide receipts that you changed the oil every 3 months so you ruined the engine. (by the way you'd have to go an awfully long time without changing oil for it to sludge up).

2. (if you have provided receipts) they clean up the sludge say nothings wrong. To me they said this:" it is no surprise that your engine is fine because you have taken care of your car, I hate to say this but the oil sludging is a myth from people that don't do proper maintenance. ME: what about the consumption and burning of oil???? HIM: "that is just normal if you're uncomfortable with it you can use a heavy weight in the summer". (that doesn't fix the problem in the winter with the light weight). Anyone who says burning oil is normal is completely out of their mind.

Next I will be getting pictures from an independent mechanic (as recommended on the net) of the damage. I just don't know where to go from there, this circle could go round and round. I don't know whats up with CR. They have a page dedicated to every little thing wrong with a bunch of American cars and yet something that was as big as the oil gelling they have no mention of, maybe its the nature of the problem.

I won't discuss this anymore in this thread I didn't mean to jack-it, my main to the OP was 1. Be careful of warranties and.... watch out for Toyota. As Toyota didn't blame me for a single thing that went wrong, they simply said those parts weren't under warranty.
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Aug 28, 2007 at 10:26 AM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
I wonder what "care" one should give electric windows and locks so they don't break. Should I take them apart and lube them?
You mean you don't lube your electric windows? I lube mine every two days... No way I'm letting my windows run out of lube...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 28, 2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
But I take it your just trying to be rude here as usual
1. Not trying to be rude.
2. I am not usually rude.
in your suggestion that I don't take care of it (you should read the thread about jumping to conclusions).
I never said you didn't take are of it. You are jumping to conclusions. I wont respond to the rest of your thread cause you didn't understand what I said. I am not telling you it's your fault your car had those problems. It's certainly Toyota's.

I said most imports "last longer" because they are more expensive, and usually taken care of better.

You said "Toyot's are just another mass produced american like car now."

I claimed they ARE ALL mass produced just like American cars now. That the only real difference is, how one takes care of it. People tend to take care of things they pay more for. Every car manufacturer has it's lemons. Imports are no exception.

I have a junky Mexican made strat that is very usable but it doesn't get as babied as my Ibanez Prestige. Therefore the latter will probably be in better condition in 10 years.

I was actually AGREEING with you. :/

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
If they sold him a rebuilt lemon with the odometer rolled back and told him it was new, he could sue them and win. Not to mention the fact that the publicity from such a thing would put them out of business.
How would you KNOW??? Ya gotta have proof.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2007, 12:09 PM

I am in the market for a new sedan, and Toyota has been scratched off my list. There have been quite a few people who have had transmission reving issues. The 2007 Camry has around 20+ TSB's issued, while the Accord, and Fusion/Milan have only 2 or 3. Toyota is slipping.

Stradlater  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
How would you really know
VIN.

I also have something called warranty going for me on the new vehicle.

If it breaks down, Toyota is responsible. If it runs well, I guess I'll never know if it's a rebuilt lemon or not, and I probably won't care
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 04:54 PM

Selling a rebuilt car as new is not something you sue for-it's something people go to jail for. It's called "fraud." And the fact that dealerships have everything to lose for doing something that dumb makes it an incredibly distant chance that this is what's going on. The economics of inventory make it far more likely that the dealer just considers this car to be one that customers don't think is pretty, and he wants to move it ASAP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules