Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Time to bet on who the scapegoat will be for McCain's loss

Time to bet on who the scapegoat will be for McCain's loss
goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 04:15 AM

(Ok, I may be tempting fate by calling the election, but I think Obama is pretty safe...)

So, imo, McCain's loss is the result of all the stupid decisions made by the Republicans over the past eight years. They have no one to blame but themselves.

I don't think this will stop them from blaming everyone but themselves. Here are a few likely things I think we'll hear:
• Obama only won because he was black and got most the black vote (his numbers are so far pretty much in line with Clinton, Gore, and Kerry when it comes to that demographic)
• Obama cheated (Lots of different variations on this could occur)
• McCain would have won if he didn't nominate Palin (maybe true, but whos choice was it to name Palin...)

Anyway, fire away! I'm interested to hear how people think the right will not accept any sort of responsibility for their loss. As the McCain camp starts to disintegrate (the Palin fallout is already happening), I think we'll see more shirking of responsibility...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 04:32 AM

So you've started a thread based upon your speculation of what will be the reaction to something that may or may not even happen.

Fantastic.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 04:45 AM

Didn't you hear, smacintush? The election's over before election day. November 4th will just be a coronation day now. The will of the people doesn't really matter because the "one we've been waiting for" has finally come.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 04:52 AM

Oh I think he IS the one I've been waiting for.

We need someone like Obama to come along and remind Americans why out of the last 40 years, 28 have been Presided over by the other party.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 04:52 AM

The McCain camp doesn't even seem to think they're going to win at this point. You have McCain's foreign advisors over the last few days blaming her for McCain loosing. They've called her incompetent, a diva, and a "whack job".

Now, that doesn't sound like a campaign that believes they have a chance of winning to me. One would ask themselves why the McCain camp has taken it upon themselves to attack a woman who they should be believing could be a sitting vice president.

I think that if McCain wins, the McCain staff would be much more surprised than I would be.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I'm interested to hear how people think the right will not accept any sort of responsibility for their loss.

The 'right' doesn't even have a dog in this fight.

The choice is between a Democrat and Democrat Lite (aka RINO).

Ohhh wait, you're one of those who this time last year was bending over for every word uttered by McCain the 'Maverick' but now that he's running opposite the messiah, he's 'right wing' and someone to endlessly demonize. Got it.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post

The 'right' doesn't even have a dog in this fight.

The choice is between a Democrat and Democrat Lite (aka RINO).

Ohhh wait, you're one of those who this time last year was bending over for every word uttered by McCain the 'Maverick' but now that he's running opposite the messiah, he's 'right wing' and someone to endlessly demonize. Got it.
Bingo! Same goes for Powell-in reverse.

You can bet your a$$ if there's an Obama loss, Fox News will be to blame.
ebuddy

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 07:01 AM

Simple: if Obama wins, it's the fault of the idiot people that voted for him.

That was easy. Next question?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post

I like how republicans act like they know whats best for this country. Let me guess, you voted for Bush twice?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 08:29 AM

Incorrect. If Obama wins, it's the fault of the idiot people who didn't vote for McCain. If McCain wins, it's the fault of the idiot people who didn't vote for a conservative-Republican candidate in the primaries.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
I like how republicans act like they know whats best for this country. Let me guess, you voted for Bush twice?
??? Of course they think they know what's best for the country. Just like the Democrats, they *do* know what's best for the country, they just have a different opinion about how to get there.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Bingo! Same goes for Powell-in reverse.

You can bet your a$$ if there's an Obama loss, Fox News will be to blame.
Considering one point yesterday I think, their front page didn't even mention McCain anywhere on it. Not to say they should be blamed for his loss, but they def weren't passive in it either. I read CNN all day every day, and I have found them to be somewhat balanced in which stories they cover. For example, just this morning they have an op-ed by one of their personalities about how Obama flip-flopped on campaign finance reform. There are bad stories about both candidates regularly. Something I def don't see from Fox News. Even after debates, Fox they would be interviewing Kristol and Rove and bunch of other republicans and maybe have 1 democrat. It certainly wasn't fair and balanced.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
??? Of course they think they know what's best for the country. Just like the Democrats, they *do* know what's best for the country, they just have a different opinion about how to get there.
My statement isn't based on me thinking Obama is going to walk across and save the planet. If you look at thread after thread after thread, posts by republicans on this board seem to think there is going to be apocalypse if Obama gets elected. We are all going to be eating rationed food from the government while big business topples to the ground.

Where are they getting this confidence? Where are they getting this certainty. Of course Bush shouldn't be blamed for everything that has gone wrong the last 8 years, but he certainly has had a big influence in it. We aren't better off now than we were 8 years ago. So its somewhat annoying to see republicans painting such a bleak picture of a post Obama win when they weren't right the last 2 elections.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 08:45 AM

What does this have to do with Bush? Why can't you people let that go and realize this isn't about him?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 08:50 AM

What does this have to do with Bush? Why can't you people let that go and realize this isn't about him?
Nope. It'll be about Bush for at least the next 20 years.
There's still lefties here who blame Mrs Thatch every time they stub their toe.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 09:03 AM

Did you miss the last eight years of Republicans blaming Clinton for everything? This is what people do.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 09:10 AM

Well at least we know where you stand: anyone who votes for Obama is an "idiot" because they disagree with you on who you think will make a better President.

Of all the people who post on here, I've never seen someone as conceited as you are when you post. And it's not just this post.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 09:48 AM

See below.

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Well at least we know where you stand: anyone who votes for Obama is an "idiot" because they disagree with you on who you think will make a better President.

Of all the people who post on here, I've never seen someone as conceited as you are when you post. And it's not just this post.
Exactly! You said it better than I did. Its not that certain people on this board don't deserve to have an opinion on who would make a better president, but its the conceited attitude thats attached to their opinions thats the problem.

I realize that McCain is his own man, my point isn't to compare him to Bush. My point is that republicans here post around here like they know everything and that everyone is an idiot that isn't voting for McCain. Where does this confidence come from? What judgment have you showed that gives you the right to call people idiots? Voting for Bush twice doesn't show good judgment to me, and we know thats a word republicans like to throw around. Thats where the bush comparison comes in. Not to compare him to McCain policy wise. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 10:11 AM

Like how people that don't agree with others on Global Warming are idiots? Like people who don't think wealth distribution is good are idiots? Like radical right-wingers are idiots?

Pot, meet kettle.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 10:18 AM

Like how people that don't agree with others on Global Warming are idiots? Like people who don't think wealth distribution is good are idiots? Like radical right-wingers are idiots?

Pot, meet kettle.
Those are all poor examples that don't refute my point.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 10:19 AM

Ahhh. "Conceited". Synonymous with "correct".

Standard leftie poke #14.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post

Again, doesn't refute my post against RAILhead.

[Edit]

This is directed to RAILhead:

I bring up Bush, you try and separate him from McCain even though I am not comparing him to McCain? Is that cause you don't think he was a good president? Cause if you think Bush was, why don't want you want Bush to be compared to McCain? If you think he isn't, why did you vote for Bush twice? Does that show good judgment? If it doesn't, why do you call people idiots for voting for Obama? Couldn't those same people that didn't vote for Bush twice be right in voting for Obama?
( Last edited by TheMosco; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:46 AM. )
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 10:43 AM

why did you vote for Bush twice?
I didn't. I'm not American.

why do you call people idiots for voting for Obama?
I didn't. RAILhead did. I don't think they're idiots. I think they're morons.

Same as the folks who voted for Blair here and Rudd in the prison colony. History repeats itself, since all three are of the same ilk. Here's a clue:

Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 10:45 AM

I didn't. RAILhead did. I don't think they're idiots. I think they're morons.

Same as the folks who voted for Blair here and Rudd in the prison colony. History repeats itself, since all three are of the same ilk. Here's a clue:

Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change. Change.
Sorry, none of those questions were for you. Those were more questions for RAILhead. I know you aren't American. I edited that post to clarify.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 10:49 AM

Scapegoats will be Bush and Palin.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Scapegoats will be Bush and Palin.
And, in 2012, Palin's scapegoat will be McCain when she makes her run for the Republican nomination.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 11:24 AM

Pot, meet kettle.
You appear to lack understanding as to what "idiot" means. An "idiot" is defined as a person affected with extreme mental retardation or a foolish or stupid person. To call people idiots because they don't agree with your politics or those of the person you think will make a better President is asinine. It's one thing to say someone is an idiot because of an argument they are making but it's quite another to say that voting for Obama makes one an idiot.

There are millions of VERY intelligent people who are going to vote for Obama. People a lot smarter than you or I. To refer to them as idiots just further shows how conceited (i.e., holding or characterized by an unduly high opinion of oneself; vain) you are.

You post is akin to saying, "If you are intelligent, you will vote for McCain because he is the only 'smart' choice in this election. If you vote for Obama, you lack intelligence".

Like I said, conceited.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 11:30 AM

Nope. There is no "correct". There is no right or wrong. There is only one's opinion of who will do a better job as President based on one's ideologies. If nothing else, history has proven that neither side, Republicans nor Democrats hold the only "right" way to run this country. Republicans have taken us in the wrong direction at times and Democrats have taken us in the wrong direction times.

At this time, it is my opinion that Obama will be a better leader than McCain. That doesn't mean that people who think the opposite are "idiots". They simply hold a different opinion.

Like I said, it's conceited to think that your choice is the only choice that could be made by an intelligent person, which is what RAILHead implied with his post.

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2008, 12:29 PM

Shh. Stop being reasonable. Pound your chest and bluster instead. It's what they know.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 12:42 PM

Nope. There is no "correct". There is no right or wrong. There is only one's opinion
This is incorrect. The fact that you don't know that there's a right and a wrong only enforces RAIL's statement.

Like I said, it's conceited to think that your choice is the only choice that could be made by an intelligent person, which is what RAILHead implied with his post.
Don't you leftie peeps do this all the time? Pretty sure you do. Maybe with something like Palin and her views on how the world came to be? Pretty sure I heard some lefties somewhere calling her an idiot. I'm pretty sure I've heard some lefties calling Bush an idiot over the last 8 years too. Now you're going to tell me that this is not conceit on their part.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 12:44 PM

I'm looking forward to you guys electing Barry, by the way. Hopefully the markets will react next Wednesday and the dollar will go through the floor, meaning the US purchase I have on the cards at the moment will be way cheaper. Oh, that and the next four years of taunting Barry voters as the US economy goes tits up.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 12:54 PM

Pres. Bush is an idiot and those who voted for Pres. Bush twice are not so smart.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 12:56 PM

Now I know why you don't understand the US constitution.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 12:58 PM

McCain will blame Palin and Pres. Bush for the loss.

Palin with blame the RNC and the McCain campaign for the loss.

The republican congressmen who lost their seat will blame McCain, Palin, the RNC for the loss.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 01:08 PM

This is incorrect. The fact that you don't know that there's a right and a wrong only enforces RAIL's statement.
No, the fact that you think there is a right and wrong choice only shows that you too are conceited.

Don't you leftie peeps do this all the time? Pretty sure you do. Maybe with something like Palin and her views on how the world came to be? Pretty sure I heard some lefties somewhere calling her an idiot. I'm pretty sure I've heard some lefties calling Bush an idiot over the last 8 years too. Now you're going to tell me that this is not conceit on their part.
Bush is an idiot. He's demonstrated that many times when he'd made up words that don't exist (e.g., strategery). BTW, it's not only "lefties" that have called Bush an idiot.

At any rate, your examples are like comparing apples to oranges. Referring to someone as an idiot because they make up words, can't form coherent sentences, or otherwise demonstrate that they are not playing with a full deck of cards is far different than calling someone an idiot because they are voting Obama versus McCain.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 01:09 PM

I'm looking forward to you guys electing Barry, by the way. Hopefully the markets will react next Wednesday and the dollar will go through the floor, meaning the US purchase I have on the cards at the moment will be way cheaper. Oh, that and the next four years of taunting Barry voters as the US economy goes tits up.
NEWS FLASH. The economy already is tits up.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 01:14 PM

That's not tits up, that's a slight dip.

finboy
Oct 29, 2008, 01:19 PM

And it will be the fault of the idiots when what he espouses comes full circle, too. Not like any of those idiots will have to pay for it (or be able to, for that matter). It will be someone else's fault, if he wins, when the "hope and change" ends up as lost incentives and regressive distribution and we end up undoing all of the "hope and change" in the next 5 or six election cycles following.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 01:19 PM

No, the fact that you think there is a right and wrong choice only shows that you too are conceited.
Or knowledgeable.

Bush is an idiot.
And yet, out of the two of you, he's the one who doesn't have to worry about his pension.

He's demonstrated that many times when he'd made up words that don't exist (e.g., strategery).
Innovative.

You realise you're ripping on someone for having a spectrum disorder, right?
No matter - it's the kind of thing I expect from Dems.

At any rate, your examples are like comparing apples to oranges. Referring to someone as an idiot because they make up words, can't form coherent sentences, or otherwise demonstrate that they are not playing with a full deck of cards is far different than calling someone an idiot because they are voting Obama versus McCain.
So, no Dems have accused Bush voters of being idiots over the last nine years? Good to know.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 01:20 PM

Hey, that's a great idea to lower tension for the flailing economy; just imagine it has boobs.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 01:26 PM

There are millions of VERY intelligent people who are going to vote for Obama. People a lot smarter than you or I.
You or ME.

Thanks.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 01:35 PM

Oh, and I thought all of the people that voted for Bush were idiots. Did you not guys tell everyone that? And yes, I voted for Jorgé and I'm not happy with him at all -- but he was better than Algore or Kerry.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 01:46 PM

I will blame all the people who didn't vote for him.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 02:02 PM

People a lot smarter than you or I.
You or ME.

Thanks.
Actually, it's "I".

I personally use "me" though, because it sounds better.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 02:14 PM

P.S. You're probably thinking "you or me", in examples such as "The blame will be put on either you or me", but this is a different kettle of fish. In this example, "me" is correct and "I" is wrong.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 02:14 PM

Really, this seems like the only appropriate outcome for this thread.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Really, this seems like the only appropriate outcome for this thread.
The scapegoat is not I!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 02:37 PM

Oh, and I thought all of the people that voted for Bush were idiots. Did you not guys tell everyone that? And yes, I voted for Jorgé and I'm not happy with him at all -- but he was better than Algore or Kerry.
So you voted for him twice and you are not happy with him at all. So how can you call people that vote for Obama an idiot? You didn't get it right the last 2 two times, why do you think this time will be any different?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 03:40 PM

McCain and his campaign manager... they've run a terrible campaign.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2008, 03:46 PM

I'm going to go with McCain blaming Joe the Plumber.
The Religious Right is neither.

Forum Links
Forum Rules