Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro3,1 CPU temp over 212F (100C)

MacBook Pro3,1 CPU temp over 212F (100C)
migel628
Jul 16, 2009, 08:23 AM

A little backstory 1st:
I have a MacBook Pro3,1 w/ upgraded 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, and replaced logic board (Nvidia issue). It wouldn't boot past the gray startup screen and AHT reported a 4SNS/1/40000000: TGOD error. I brought it in to my nearest Apple Store and they couldn't boot via internal HDD or Firewire, so I left it there so they could run the ASD tests. According to the tech, the HDD was dead and would need to be replaced. Since this was a 3rd party HDD w/ warranty left, I took the MBP back, RMAed the HDD, and put the stock 120GB back in. After this it appears to run nicely.

Yesterday:
Now I'm noticing that the MBP is running really hot. At idle, the CPU runs at about 122F (50C) to 145F (62.8C), however at full load the CPU runs at over 212F (100C). I've been stressing the CPU using Prime95 and found that the max thus far has been 220F (104.4C) and this is with fans at about 6k spin.

I know that older MBPs run hot, but this just seems to be a little ridiculous. Now I'm wondering if the 320GB HDD died due to heat or if there is some underlying issue. From searching. I've found that the 4SNS/1/40000000: TGOD error could either be a temperature issue or a logic board issue. Anyway, I figured I'd bring it to board and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 08:43 AM

But, do you still get the AHT error?

Meroms run hot. My 2.4 GHz Merom has also reached temperatures around 95C under heavy load. It idles at around 50-60C like yours. Of course temps like these depend on ambient air temp (after all that's the ultimate coolant). In a hot environment w/o A/C I wouldn't be surprised to see a Merom reach 100C under heavy load.

The CPU will start throttling down and/or stopping one core when it becomes too hot (at 100C) and it will shut itself off entirely at 125C to prevent hardware damage. Also, your MBP will shut itself off automatically if the temp sensors report too high values. In principle your Mac should forcefully shut off before any damage occurs to heat. In principle.

I doubt your HDD died because of heat. The 104C you measured were on the CPU die. Most of that heat should be brought via heat pipe to the heatsink where it is dissipated. Your case temp will of course increase, but no way the HDD would ever see that much heat.

migel628  (op)
Jul 16, 2009, 09:16 AM

I haven't re-run the AHT test, so I'll have to do that tonight. The air temp is between about 65-70F. The HDD theory was crafted b/c I noticed the space below the LCD was blazing hot along the palm rest over the HDD. Anyway, I'll re-run the AHT when I get home.

migel628  (op)
Jul 16, 2009, 05:03 PM

Re-ran the AHT and the 4SNS/1/40000000: TGOD was shown again. I'm currently running through the extended test to see if anything else hits.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 05:28 PM

Indeed. A temperature sensor has failed. You should have it fixed.

migel628  (op)
Jul 17, 2009, 07:19 PM

Ran the ASD and received the following during my loop:

Temp Sensor - GPU 0 Die Temp test 8 - Sensor Noise Test
-Checks that Sensor within Spec
ERROR - Sensor reading below low point
- T E S T F A I L E D -

Temp Sensor - GPU 0 Die Temp test 8 - Sensor Noise Test
-Checks that Sensor within Spec
ERROR - Sensor reading above high point
- T E S T F A I L E D -

Also, for some odd reason, I can't get Target Mode to work. As of now, I have an appt. for Monday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules