Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft release a 'Kin phone

Microsoft release a 'Kin phone (Page 2)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2010, 05:58 PM

It's a KINspiracy. That advert means real friends, people who are kind of "friends" and Facebook friends.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2010, 06:30 PM

So, are Facebook friends Friends or FRIENDS, then?

And while I can sort of see the point in pulling up Facebook capabilities in an ad for a phone (though I guess most phones can access Facebook these days), I don’t see what the point is in advertising that this phone is both for your real friends and people who are ‘kind of friends’. What phone isn’t? That’s nothing to do with the phone, but with your own personal relationship with other people.

The ad still makes no sense to me.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
OpenDNS thinks electronista is a phishing site (when I click on that link). WTF?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post

And while I can sort of see the point in pulling up Facebook capabilities in an ad for a phone (though I guess most phones can access Facebook these days), I don’t see what the point is in advertising that this phone is both for your real friends and people who are ‘kind of friends’. What phone isn’t? That’s nothing to do with the phone, but with your own personal relationship with other people.

Have Microsoft adverts ever made sense. The wow starts now.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post

Friends:

"friends":

and...
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 11:27 PM

You know this whole thing makes the Storm 1 look like a good idea!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 02:00 AM

The ad makes sense: a phone for your friends, your fake facebook friends, and your friends with beneifts/S.O.s. It actually makes sense but is a little seedy.

(Not surprising that it's seedy though--I saw one MS ad where an annoying New Jersey woman dropped the F-bomb after using Windows 7, another ad where an attractive guy appears fully nude, and another ad where an Indian woman appears to say "abso****inlutely! . Again, WTF is their marketing thinking?)
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jun 23, 2010 at 02:24 AM. )

-Q-
Jun 30, 2010, 05:44 PM

And a few weeks after launch, they're killing the Kin and rolling the team into the Windows 7 Phone team.

Microsoft Kin is dead -- Engadget

Do you even put that you worked on this product on your resume?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 05:49 PM

Surprising, but not unbelievable. It was a good concept, but fatally flawed with the combination of weird UI, terrible build quality, and ridiculous smartphone plan.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
No worries, product will be canned in a couple months with some PR "A valuable lesson and successful product with its innovative key features being integrated into windows 7 series phones" or some crap.
"We have made the decision to focus exclusively on Windows Phone 7 and we will not ship Kin in Europe this fall as planned," a Microsoft statement read. "Additionally, we are integrating our Kin team with the Windows Phone 7 team, incorporating valuable ideas and technologies from Kin into future Windows Phone releases."

Wow, I'm good.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2010, 07:40 PM

Quick, snap them up before they become collectables.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
SIt was a good concept, but fatally flawed with the combination of weird UI, terrible build quality, and ridiculous smartphone plan.
What was the good concept exactly? A software crippled smartphone with proprietary OS which isn't related to windows 7 and high data plans?

Or you mean because it was supposed to be for teenagers?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 08:01 PM

Read my post? "Ridiculous smartphone plan?" The good concept is replacing featurephones that teens buy but are useless for things like Twitter and Facebook with a phone that's integrated into all the services that they all know and love. If the implementation would have been half decent, you can bet your bottom line that LG and other OEMs would be scrambling to do the same. I think these phones would have had a fighting chance if you didn't have to buy the smartphone plan and they weren't $49 and $99.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2010, 08:19 PM

Teens don't use Facebook to communicate, it's almost exclusively text messages. And a surprising number use Blackberry Messenger.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 08:19 PM

Read my post? "Ridiculous smartphone plan?" The good concept is replacing featurephones that teens buy but are useless for things like Twitter and Facebook with a phone that's integrated into all the services that they all know and love. If the implementation would have been half decent, you can bet your bottom line that LG and other OEMs would be scrambling to do the same. I think these phones would have had a fighting chance if you didn't have to buy the smartphone plan and they weren't $49 and $99.
An iPhone 3GS is $99. You really think people would want to save $50 and get a kin instead? Even big kin was the same price as an iPhone.

Well no need to answer because as you can see the answer is NO.

The expensive data plan was a small part of the problem. Even if the phone was $29 and the data plan $50 it still would have tanked.

Here are a few more reasons:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...tories+2%29%29
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jun 30, 2010 at 08:37 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 11:33 PM

An iPhone 3GS is $99. You really think people would want to save $50 and get a kin instead? Even big kin was the same price as an iPhone.

Well no need to answer because as you can see the answer is NO.

The expensive data plan was a small part of the problem. Even if the phone was $29 and the data plan $50 it still would have tanked.

Here are a few more reasons:
4 Reasons Why Microsoft’s Kin Phones Failed | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
Tou're just repeating everything I just said and have said in this thread. Do you even read what people post?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2010, 05:49 AM

microsoft has just discontinued their KIN phone

because in 2 months they didnt sell more than 10.000 units
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2010, 06:12 AM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
microsoft has just discontinued their KIN phone

because in 2 months they didnt sell more than 1000 units
Fixed.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2010, 09:34 AM

It takes a lot of dedication to fail this hard.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It takes a lot of dedication to fail this hard.
But Microsoft picked up the burden of FAIL and carried it all the way. They should be congratulated. The only thing more honouring would be if they drew a giant wang on the screen of every KIN owner's phone.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2010, 09:18 PM

The Kin was never going to be a a huge success but it could have not been a complete failure if MS had negotiated with Verizon for a cheaper data plan for it. It cannot compete with Blackberries and Palms when the price difference is negligible. Microsoft could have thrown their money into it and bribed Verizon to offer a $15/200Mb plan and it would have done okay.

They should just reflash the phones and give them to Cricket or Boost to sell. WIth their cheaper data plans it would have had moderate success.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2010, 09:21 PM

Actually, I bet the KIN would be pretty successful on a carrier like Boost. Good point, Langdon.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2010, 05:50 AM

is there any actual positive achievement by Microsoft lately?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2010, 05:54 AM

Windows 7.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 2, 2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Windows 7.
I put it on my garage computer and my wife's netbook last week, works pretty well. My only complaint is that Pandora suffers sometimes on the garage computer. It's a 1.6 atom with 2 gigs of RAM, but running Pandora as standalone or in Chrome can cause the processor to max out and the music to stutter. My old garage PC was a PIII 1GHz running XP Pro and it never ever did that.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
is there any actual positive achievement by Microsoft lately?
Windows Phone 7 is gonna be pretty good. It should give iOS 4 a run for its money, especially with regards to gaming.

-Q-
Jul 2, 2010, 08:03 PM

Windows Phone 7 is gonna be pretty good. It should give iOS 4 a run for its money, especially with regards to gaming.
Like the Zune challenged the iPod?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2010, 10:49 PM

Right, it's gonna be head to head with the iPhone with ZERO apps vs 200,000+.

No copy paste, no multitasking. May sound "Pretty good" but that's not going to cut it now let alone when it finally ships.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 11:44 PM

Right, it's gonna be head to head with the iPhone with ZERO apps vs 200,000+.

No copy paste, no multitasking. May sound "Pretty good" but that's not going to cut it now let alone when it finally ships.
Zero apps? Netflix was demoed on Windows Phone 7 before it was even out for any iDevice, Pandora and Last.fm have been as well. The SDK's been out for quite a while. It's going to have a bunch of apps when it launches.

In addition, Microsoft have said that while copy and paste will not be at launch, they won't be that far behind (1-3 months). I don't recall that stopping Apple from selling any iPhones And the phone multitasks, in the same way that the iPhone does, via APIs.

You always post these derogatory comments about any device that isn't made by Apple, but you never have your facts straight.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Like the Zune challenged the iPod?
That was too little much too late to the party. If the Zune had come along in 2003 or 2004, it could have stolen a good amount of market share, but alas.

-Q-
Jul 3, 2010, 02:18 AM

That was too little much too late to the party. If the Zune had come along in 2003 or 2004, it could have stolen a good amount of market share, but alas.
Doesn't that same argument apply for the new Phone OS? Apple (and Android) seem to have a large head start in this market already, not to mention the increased competition from strong industry players (RIM and Nokia). They'll have no apps and less features (no copy/paste, for one). Don't think this will be a big player either. Like with Zune, I think their time to strike has passed.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2010, 01:38 PM

Zero apps? Netflix was demoed on Windows Phone 7 before it was even out for any iDevice, Pandora and Last.fm have been as well. The SDK's been out for quite a while. It's going to have a bunch of apps when it launches.

In addition, Microsoft have said that while copy and paste will not be at launch, they won't be that far behind (1-3 months). I don't recall that stopping Apple from selling any iPhones And the phone multitasks, in the same way that the iPhone does, via APIs.

You always post these derogatory comments about any device that isn't made by Apple, but you never have your facts straight.
Ha ha well pardon me, not ZERO apps cuz I stand corrected at 3 Vaporware apps.

What fact I get "unstraight"? The fact that the iPhone had no multitasking or copy paste at first but it sold anyway. Well I hate to tell you but ALL PHONES including the iPhone have all those features TODAY so when Windows 7 ships on its mystery date end of year people will be drawn to missing features because....?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2010, 01:40 PM

These go nicely together.

]
iPhone 2007
Windows Mobile 7 2010/2011

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 06:02 PM

Ha ha well pardon me, not ZERO apps cuz I stand corrected at 3 Vaporware apps.

What fact I get "unstraight"? The fact that the iPhone had no multitasking or copy paste at first but it sold anyway. Well I hate to tell you but ALL PHONES including the iPhone have all those features TODAY so when Windows 7 ships on its mystery date end of year people will be drawn to missing features because....?
Those were just three examples. How dense are you?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Doesn't that same argument apply for the new Phone OS? Apple (and Android) seem to have a large head start in this market already, not to mention the increased competition from strong industry players (RIM and Nokia). They'll have no apps and less features (no copy/paste, for one). Don't think this will be a big player either. Like with Zune, I think their time to strike has passed.
Windows Phone 7 does some pretty impressive things that no other mobile OS can claim though. For instance, if you're playing an XBL arcade game on your Xbox and turn it off, you can pick up right where you left off on your phone. That's pretty compelling for people who already have a 360 and are looking for a new smartphone. Microsoft has plenty of big devs behind them for launch (certainly more than Android has did, and currently does). It's not like this thing is gonna kill the iPhone the day it launches, but it's certainly gonna be a threat to Apple.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 06:09 PM

Is copy and paste really a feature that will keep people from buying a phone? I've used it maybe three times on my iPod touch. Ever. And again, you obviously didn't read my post. I'm not even going to respond to you anymore.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2010, 06:32 PM

I've used copy/paste maybe three or four times *today*.

I use it all the time, and I wish it were less fiddly.

But I appreciate that it's better than probably anything else out there.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 06:36 PM

Yes, much better than stock Android or WebOS (which is so bad you might as well just write it down on a piece of paper and then enter it)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2010, 12:10 PM

Those were just three examples. How dense are you?
I must be pretty dense. Can you please show me 1 shipping app then.
Or would you like to add all these apps to the pile with Duke Nukem forever on it?

You are great at telling me and everyone how stupid they are without giving us a real reason why a consumer would want windows 7 or why any manufacturer would want it either.

Windows 7 Mobile pros for consumers:
1) ?
2) ?
3) Some soft of Xbox Live integration

Downsides for consumers:
1) No Apps. Sorry 3 demo's ones and a rich library of perhaps 100 the day it ships.
2) No copy/paste and proper multitasking like every other phone on the market TODAY
3) Hardware or software that isn't any different or better than anyone else TODAY

Pro's for manufacturers:
1) You can put "Windows 7 Mobile" on the box.
2) You can advertise "Windows 7 mobile"
3) Help me out here.....

Downsides for manufacturers
1) Costs $12-$20 to licence per unit. Android is free
2) Minimum hardware requirements. Good luck making yourself stand out against all others.
3) No skinning allowed
4) Not open source
5) Worst web browser not based on webkit which Nokia, RIM, Apple and android all use.

Wow you got me sold.

Microsoft faces Android juggernaut | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

OreoCookie
Jul 5, 2010, 01:16 PM

@analogue SPRINKLES
I actually think that the no skinning rule and the rather strict specs are a good thing. Android 3 will move in that direction quite a bit, too, since fragmentation is a very big problem. It's quite common that you cannot upgrade your Android phone as the manufacturer hasn't released an update yet (and in many cases never will!). In that sense, in my opinion MS does something right.

I find their approach to a touch-based user interface interesting. Although my sceptic half already yells things like `unpolished' or `mixture of app and task-based UI,' I'd like to give MS a chance to prove me wrong.

Regarding the Open Source thing: being open source doesn't make your product magically better (or worse, for that matter). This can be an advantage for developers, but doesn't have to be. iPhone/iPad app developers live quite happily in a non-open sourced development environment. And my mom doesn't know (and probably doesn't care) what open source is.

However, I agree that they have to know what they're bringing to the table: it's not going to be enough to make a `me too' product that is as good as what the other guys are making. Google and Apple are moving forward at neck-breaking speeds and MS hasn't even released version 1.0.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 01:51 PM

No no - they're already at 6.5!

That's 2.5 better, innit?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2010, 10:14 AM

The magic number that is the amount of Kins actually sold is....

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2010, 10:54 AM

and the total marketshare of BING in Netherlands is 1%

from website

Google 94 (-1)
Vinden 3 (+1)
Yahoo! 1 (+1)
Bing 1 (=0)
Ilse 1 (=0)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2010, 11:31 AM

a bit more comparison - Nexus One sells only 20,000 phones its first week

Nexus One sold 20,000 in its first week with a contract price of $179. It was seen as a disappointing figure....

The original iPhone in 2007 sold 270,000 in its first 3 months on sale with a contract price of $599....

Kin contract price was $149 and $129, both cut by $100 after 6 weeks....

Maybe they should get together and make a Kin club or Facebook page or something

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2010, 11:32 AM

That is amazingly bad.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 8, 2010, 11:49 AM

Do they realize how out of touch they are with consumers?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2010, 01:19 PM

What they need to do is reposition it as an "ironic" phone for hipsters.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
What they need to do is reposition it as an "ironic" phone for hipsters.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2010, 05:53 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules