Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4S, INVALID SIM or NO SIM message ...

iPhone 4S, INVALID SIM or NO SIM message ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2011, 08:22 AM

I got this last night and tried a couple restarts with no luck. So I called Apple.

This worked the first time, and so far, still okay.

1. Enable Airplane mode
2. Reboot phone
3. Disable Airplane mode

Apple also said that resetting network settings often works, too. Just passing this along in case it helps someone else.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 12:49 PM

Great tip, but WTF Apple?

It's like none of this was ready for prime-time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 04:01 PM

It's amazing that such shoddy software QA can been evident on Apple's most important device, but it really shouldn't surprise us given what we know about Apple's internal working structure and all the similar missteps that the company has made in the recent past. Maybe Tim Cook will crack the whip-we are seeing reports that he's focusing on managerial areas that never interested SJ.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 04:46 PM

nm.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's amazing that such shoddy software QA can been evident on Apple's most important device...
Let's think about this. We know Apple sold 4 million iPhones over the launch weekend. Now we have a report of ONE person having a problem with ONE phone and you're going to excoriate Apple's QA?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 06:03 PM

Re-inserting the SIM sometimes helps with that sort of problem.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Let's think about this. We know Apple sold 4 million iPhones over the launch weekend. Now we have a report of ONE person having a problem with ONE phone and you're going to excoriate Apple's QA?
It's not just this one report to which I was referring. There are widespread battery performance problems with the 4S that just shouldn't be occurring. One of Apple's fixes for those having problems is to wipe their phones completely instead of restoring from a backup of a previous iPhone. That's not a solution, it's a cover-up of a software flaw that Apple shouldn't have let slip.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 07:23 PM

Par for the course across all platforms, all decades.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Par for the course across all platforms, all decades.
In the sense revision B is supposed to clean that shit up.

The 4S is, in essence, a revision B phone. The thing shouldn't be jacked in a half-dozen different ways just because of a new antenna and a dual core.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 09:00 PM

To be fair, the 4S is more than iPhone 4 rev. b. The 4S is a pretty dramatic update to nearly all the internal components of the phone. And Apple has had rev. b or rev. c products with more problems than the rev. a versions ever had.

But the iPhone 4S is the flagship model of the most important product line in Apple's lineup. The iPhone accounts for a gigantic amount of Apple's profit. A product that important to the company should be so rigorously tested and refined before launch that the types of hiccups we're seeing should simply not be occurring. I understand that no high tech product is immune from problems and that the problems we're hearing about may only affect a small subset of users while the vast majority may have no problems and thus no reason to complain. Nonetheless, when you have thousands of complaints over poor battery life, and when the solution being suggested indicates serious bugs in the OS, there's certainly a problem.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2011, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
In the sense revision B is supposed to clean that shit up.

The 4S is, in essence, a revision B phone. The thing shouldn't be jacked in a half-dozen different ways just because of a new antenna and a dual core.
The iPhone 4S isn't jacked. It's awesome.

iOS 5.0 is a .0 revision. I was talking about software, since that's what this thread is about.

FWIW, I'm not seeing any battery issues on my 4S. Nor any other issues at all, actually.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2011, 11:12 AM

Things can be awesome and jacked at the same time.

I think the 4S is awesome too, and I don't even regret overpaying for it, but there are things that are jacked about it. The battery on mine doesn't last a whole day, while the battery on my 4 did.

This is a massive pain in the ass for me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2011, 02:24 PM

Like I said: mine does, though I haven't exactly been scientific about testing it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2011, 02:53 PM

subego, have you experimented with a completely fresh restore of the 4S without restoring from a previous iPhone's backup to see if that helps with your battery issue?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2011, 06:59 PM

Not yet. That sounds like a pretty massive pain as well. Certainly without a guarantee it'll fix things.

I have pared down location services to the bone (including time zone sync).

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2011, 07:56 PM

At any rate iOS 5.0.1 is supposed to fix the battery issues.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2011, 12:45 AM

To be fair, a lot of the issues seem software based. I guess my beef is more the attempt to roll so much crap out at once.

Forum Links
Forum Rules