Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wall-E

Wall-E
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 02:27 PM

So, how is Wall-E?

How do you rate it vs. other Pixar movies? Does the lack of dialogue take away from it? Perhaps not:

Rotten Tomatoes: 97% (114/117)
Metacritic: 92%

Actually, I'm thinking of taking someone whose English isn't the best, so maybe the lack of dialogue will help her understand it.

P.S. Please put spoilers in spoiler tags, as many of us have not yet seen the movie.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 02:32 PM

I have to know:

Are the best parts of the movie in the trailers?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So, how is Wall-E?
Oh, he's doing just fine. Thanks for asking

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 02:49 PM

Referencing the previous thread, the best parts of the movie are not shown in the trailer. There's a lot to like about Wall-E. Not my favorite, but there's a lot to like.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Referencing the previous thread, the best parts of the movie are not shown in the trailer. There's a lot to like about Wall-E. Not my favorite, but there's a lot to like.
Thanks for answering, here, and for your other answers. You were the only person answering my questions in the other thread. Much appreciated.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 03:00 PM

You're very welcome, vmarks.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 03:00 PM

So, should the makers of Short Circuit sue?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:01 PM

Eug, minor spoiler:

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 03:01 PM

BS.

Since when can you get a copyright on using a robot in a movie.

WTF ?

-t

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
BS.

Since when can you get a copyright on using a robot in a movie.

WTF ?

-t
I expect if they had used an exact likeness of johnny5 they would easily have been sued.

Just as I expect if someone uses the likeness of WALL-E without Disney-Pixar's permission, Disney-Pixar will sue.

So, how different are Johnny5 and wall-e would be the question for a court to determine, if it came to that.

Macnymph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 03:08 PM

So, I went to the midnight show last nite.

I give it a 3 out of 5. Story is tired and true with some modern veiled commentary on earth's consumerism and destruction of the planet. Best parts were in the trailers and commercials.

As I wrote to friends:
"As I suspected and hoped was wrong; most of the funniest scenes are in the commerials splayed across the TVs in America. I actually got antsy and almost bored in the first 1/2 hour watching Wall•e wrestle with the toxic, garbage filled Earth.

The arrival of another alien, who shot first and never quite asked questions later was a bit too violent for my tastes. Totally inappropriate for those under 10 imho. The other alien has that glossy white surface reminiscent of a new iPod, which makes me wonder if the whole movie was a veiled marketing effort (see last line).

I thought the story jumped around, and suspected there might be an enviromental or health message buried in the story, but if there was, it was lost to cuteness and banality.

In the end, the ship travelled back to Earth and hope for civilization was lost to the cutesy love story again.

Animation was good. Anthropomorphism tugged at your heart strings at points, even the music was good in places. Overall, not much new there as in storylines like Nemo and Monsters.

Oh, Mac users will apprecaite the use of a Mac start up sound in a couple of places, as well as the oldie but goodie MacInTalk voice."

My advice: Wait to rent it; not worth the price of admission.

MacNymph

Macnymph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 03:10 PM

BTW, if you want to see an excellent robot-type movie, go rent *batteries not included

Great story, excellent actors, innovative, good animation... and IT was released in 1987!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Macnymph View Post
The arrival of another alien, who shot first and never quite asked questions later was a bit too violent for my tastes. Totally inappropriate for those under 10 imho.

Animation was good. Anthropomorphism tugged at your heart strings at points, even the music was good in places. Overall, not much new there as in storylines like Nemo and Monsters.
Did you not think the shark in Nemo was too scary for that age group as well?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I have to know:

Are the best parts of the movie in the trailers?
It is an movie that is 1:43 minutes and the 1 minute trailers shows Wall-E going though some trash. You really think the whole movie is worth skipping because you already saw the best 1 minute of footage? Are you serious?
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jun 27, 2008 at 03:40 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:30 PM

BTW, if you want to see an excellent robot-type movie, go rent *batteries not included
Ya that was one of my favorite movies as a kid although watching stubborn old people act crazy for most of the movie does get on my nerves a lot.

Same goes for Cocoon.

Macnymph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 03:34 PM

1. I actually didn't really like Nemo, but recognize that the story-line was well-done. Don't remember much of it, and don't want to see it again. Shark may have been too scary, don't know.

2. What only one 1-min. trailer? There's a zillion 30-second or so commercials that have been airing for months. Each clip shows a funny scene; add em up and you got almost ALL the funniest moments in the film. They should have saved something to catch you off-guard in the movie, but far as I can tell; they didn't.

Movie was over-advertised. There's a surprise!

The only part I liked was Wall•e's trailer - reminds me of my apartment. You sift through a pile of stuff; find some odd thing that looks useful and put it away in a bookshelf. Compact the rest to trash... Yup, that's my place. 'Cept, I don't have a compactor....

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
It is an movie that is 1:43 minutes and the 1 minute trailers shows Wall-E going though some trash. You really think the whole movie is worth skipping because you already saw the best 1 minute of footage? Are you serious?
I wanted to know, that's all. The trailers show a lot more than Wall-E going through trash. There's the makeup gag, and the shopping carts clobbering him, the laser heart with walle+eve... I wanted to know if I'd already seen the best parts.

Short answer: yes, I asked the question in all seriousness. I've seen good trailers for bad movies in the past.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2008, 03:35 PM

92% is pretty decent for Rotten Tomatoes.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:35 PM

I wanted to know, that's all. The trailers show a lot more than Wall-E going through trash. There's the makeup gag, and the shopping carts clobbering him, the laser heart with walle+eve... I wanted to know if I'd already seen the best parts.
Nope those were all the best parts and why it is getting 98% on RT. The rest of the time we just watch wall-e try to upgrade to vista.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:40 PM

Just a heads up to everyone. Apparently that post of mine counts as an infraction as a personal attack believe it or not. Are these forums run in North Korea?

Macnymph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 03:44 PM

Um, Moderator....

As a former MacFixIt Forums Administrator (and current MacNN staff), I'm well aware of what's personal and what's not in forums. Please lighten up, because analogue SPRINKLES's posts are in NO way personal attacks.
Thank you.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:48 PM

Um, Moderator....

As a former MacFixIt Forums Administrator (and current MacNN staff), I'm well aware of what's personal and what's not in forums. Please lighten up, because analogue SPRINKLES's posts are in NO way personal attacks.
Thank you.
This is the second time something ridiculous like this is happened. Vmarks seems to be very sensitive and you need to follow special rules when talking to the high and mighty mods.

Not like it really matters here though as the whole process of points and banning is pointless anyway.

Anyway, guess I can add another 5 points or something silly like that for this comment also.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2008, 03:52 PM

Just a heads up to everyone. Apparently that post of mine counts as an infraction as a personal attack believe it or not. Are these forums run in North Korea?
Read the PM. It was for incitement, not a personal attack. PM me with issues.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 03:54 PM

This is the second time something ridiculous like this is happened. Vmarks seems to be very sensitive and you need to follow special rules when talking to the high and mighty mods.

Not like it really matters here though as the whole process of points and banning is pointless anyway.

Anyway, guess I can add another 5 points or something silly like that for this comment also.
You've made a faulty presumption.

I do not moderate posts or threads in the Lounge. I did not issue your infraction. That was some other moderator.

I moderate iMac, the political lounge, networking, and notebooks. Not Lounge.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:55 PM

Um, Moderator....

Thank you.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 04:04 PM

2. What only one 1-min. trailer? There's a zillion 30-second or so commercials that have been airing for months. Each clip shows a funny scene; add em up and you got almost ALL the funniest moments in the film. They should have saved something to catch you off-guard in the movie, but far as I can tell; they didn't.
I have to disagree with you on that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Read the PM. It was for incitement, not a personal attack.
Uhm

What's an incitement ?

I have never heard of such a thing being a infractionable event.

Who makes up all these different classes of violations ?

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 04:35 PM

Wow, yet another Wall•E thread gets derailed by whining little babies. Stop it already. Stick to the damn topic.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 04:37 PM

You've made a faulty presumption.

I do not moderate posts or threads in the Lounge. I did not issue your infraction. That was some other moderator.

I moderate iMac, the political lounge, networking, and notebooks. Not Lounge.
Speaking of presumptions...I understand that you didn't mod me which is exactly why I didn't say YOU gave me the infraction and why I PMed the actual mod that did.

It is more than obvious that my comment to anyone else other than a mod would have gone unnoticed.

The real question is what I can redeem my points for? Is there a reward catalog I can look over as I am itching for a new clock radio.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 04:47 PM

Speaking of presumptions...I understand that you didn't mod me which is exactly why I didn't say YOU gave me the infraction and why I PMed the actual mod that did.

It is more than obvious that my comment to anyone else other than a mod would have gone unnoticed.

The real question is what I can redeem my points for? Is there a reward catalog I can look over as I am itching for a new clock radio.
Please feel free to choose any of the fine items at Buy n Large

(hey, look! back on topic!)

EDIT: no items from the zazzle store are eligible.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 05:01 PM

-t

Macnymph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 05:02 PM

Oh wow, there's just something very creepy that they actually created a buynlarge store site. Can you really buy stuff from there? (I just don't have the time right now to wander thru the site.)

To mdc: re: your spoiler...
yes, you're right, they did leave some of those things out; but somehow I found what you brought up in the spoiler very very sad and not really funny at all. Why sad? Because, check the stats... it's where our society is really headed (with Apple's help no less).

Ooops gotta run...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 05:26 PM

So I may have missed this, but is Wall-E named as a nod to Walt Disney himself (Walter Elias Disney... Walt E. Disney.... Wall E)?

Macnymph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 06:26 PM

That's a great catch maroma. You're probably right!
macnymph

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Wow, yet another Wall•E thread gets derailed by whining little babies. Stop it already. Stick to the damn topic.
This thread should have been titled: Whin•E

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 07:58 PM

Australian release date: 18 September 2008.

Seriously. Pixar. I have teh interwebs and I'm not afraid to use them!

When Pixar movies get a worldwide simultaneous release, we tend to see them at the cinemas and then buy the DVD when it comes out.

When there's a three month delay I tend to pirate the movie and only buy the DVD when it's in the bargain bin. Still haven't bought Ratatouille - got a copy right here that someone gave me before it hit Australian cinemas.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2008, 08:00 PM

That's crazy late. I wonder what the possible motivation could be.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:01 PM

You've got to give them some time for the dubbing.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:05 PM

I cannot fathom why grown men are so interested in movies like Ratatouille and Wally.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
92% is pretty decent for Rotten Tomatoes.
So the (current) 97% must be outstanding

-Owl

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I cannot fathom why grown men are so interested in movies like Ratatouille and Wally.
I can not fathom how closed minded you must be. Wanted just came out this week too, go hang out in that thread.

-Owl

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:26 PM

I don't watch Sesame Street's cutesy-pie characters either, I must just be really close minded.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
So the (current) 97% must be outstanding

-Owl
Yeah, I noticed I mixed them up. 97% seems really good. I'd still like to hear from more members.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 08:37 PM

I like Sesame Street, screw you Kerrigan.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 08:41 PM

I don't watch Sesame Street's cutesy-pie characters either, I must just be really close minded.
It shows, frankly.

I cannot fathom why you'd bother to post in a thread full of people who obviously appear to like these movies just to illustrate your contempt for them.

Since in your personal development, you've obviously missed the basic messages of Sesame Street, I might suggest that counseling could help rectify your deficiencies, and help you learn acceptance of others.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:43 PM

I cannot fathom why grown men are so interested in watching other grown men kick a ball around, getting all hot and sweaty, their fit bodies rubbing up against each other, hugging each other and then showering together...

... actually, now that I mention it...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:45 PM

Analogika, I'm not surprised that you're so conversant in Sesame Street's bearings on childhood development, since Wall-E is the sort of movie that mothers take their 7 old children to see, and any grown man who takes an interest in this type of entertainment must have a double dose of estrogen pumping through his system.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 08:53 PM

Analogika, I'm not surprised that you're so conversant in Sesame Street's bearings on childhood development, since Wall-E is the sort of movie that mothers take their 7 old children to see, and any grown man who takes an interest in this type of entertainment must have a double dose of estrogen pumping through his system.

That's probably the funniest attempt at an insult I've heard this year!

Seriously, thanks for the laugh - it's been a rough week.

Good night, 'NN!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I cannot fathom why grown men are so interested in watching other grown men kick a ball around, getting all hot and sweaty, their fit bodies rubbing up against each other, hugging each other and then showering together...

... actually, now that I mention it...
Yea, I'm sure that the straight demographic that watches sports is actually secretly gay, while the gay demographic that watches movies like Toy Story and Wall-E and can't even throw a ball properly are actually a prodigious part of pro sports.

This discussion reminds me of all the people in college who whine about sports, never go to football games, get depressed, and then end up working some anti-social job after graduation, while their fratdaddy co-collegiates are bachin' it up on their Master Crafts that they bought on their six-fig starting salaries.

But back to Wall-E... I haven't even seen it yet and I can already give it a solid two-thumbs-down rating, it's that bad.

Cold Warrior

Ouch.

What's with you guys today? It seems like this nice robot is channeling the devil in everyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules