Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ssh - remoted host id changed

ssh - remoted host id changed
sodamnregistered
Sep 4, 2001, 07:27 PM

it's true, I reformatted my Linux box, so indeed the remote host id as changed

how can I reset or delete or whatever this key so I can connect to the reformatted Linux box

I get the folloeing error:

----

WARNING REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION CHANGED

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY

bunch of stuff deleted, then

Add correct host key in /Users/mole/.ssh/known_hosts2

----

PS I deleted /Users/mole/.ssh/known_hosts2

my attempt to reset the key, no luck

thanks

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2001, 10:30 PM

rm -Rf ~/.ssh

it's gonna solve your case

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2001, 04:56 AM

Um, no don't do that, that's a very lazy and dumb way to do things, you'll be deleting your ssh keys if you have any.

the right way to fix it is to open up ~/.ssh/known_hosts and remove the line of the server you're trying to connect to.

it's just a text file, open it with pico, go to the line and hit control K.

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Some Guy [] ]

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2001, 07:43 AM

So what?

When you'll reconnect it will ask again if you want the key..

It's not like he's actually losing something..

I had conflicts withing my set of ip/keys.. because I had set up 2 networks like mine at home.. that was my way of solving it

It works, doesn't take much time.. and probably he only has one key.

<a.non>
Sep 5, 2001, 07:55 AM

This isn't an error. ssh is just telling you that the remote host has changed, and that it might be an imposter. So you can double-check that it's really the correct host that you're trting to contact. Since you know what happened (reinstalled ssh as port of the Linux-reinstall, which generates a new master key), you know that everything is alright.

Just press Y when it asks you if it can update the host key. That's all. No need to remove files or whatever.

Why do people always panic when they see a question on their screen? You already knew that sometime chcanged, so just READ the warning on our screen, and press Y.

sodamnregistered  (op)
Sep 6, 2001, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by &lt;a.non&gt;:
<STRONG>Why do people always panic when they see a question on their screen? You already knew that sometime chcanged, so just READ the warning on our screen, and press Y.</STRONG>
Um, because I did not get a warning with option to continue- I just got a warning and that was it. No connection. No accept new key. Just a "You're Screwed" message that I could not get around.

To your credit, usually, you do get a warning and its asks you to take a new key. That did not happen this time. I was shut-out on the client side.

To my credit, I CAN READ and if it gave me an option to take a new key, I would have and this would have never been posted.

God, is everyone in the phhuckin 8th grade today or something?

Tagged you. Did not. Did so.

sodamnregistered  (op)
Sep 6, 2001, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Some Guy []:
<STRONG>the right way to fix it is to open up ~/.ssh/known_hosts and remove the line of the server you're trying to connect to.[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Some Guy [] ]</STRONG>
I did do this. The Linux box in question is the only one I connect to, so I erased the keys for both IP addresses, but that did not solve the problem either.

I was in a reformatting mood, so both Macs and the Linux machine went under the knife.

The message read like I could have gotten a key from my Linux server and put it in my Mac. It gave me a key ID string, and then told me I could put some kind of key (public something?) in my .ssh file.

Sound feasible?

<Markus>
Sep 6, 2001, 03:41 AM

Slightly off-topic, but here goes...

I'm wondering why ssh is so slow on login between my OSX-machines at work. It takes forever to log in to another computer.

It feels like it asks someting outside of the firewall and then gets a network timeout of some sort.

Our w2k-machine does not have this problem. Something to do with configuration or waddaya think?

/Markus

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2001, 04:47 AM

OSX 10.0 does not have a /dev/random and i beleive that's the cause of the slow down.

10.1 has a /dev/random.

also, known_hosts does not have the keys, ssh keys are different things that are usually stored in .ssh.

Again, if your intent was to delete the known_hosts why not at least just delete the known_hosts file and not the entire directory?

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2001, 10:57 AM

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules