Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Health warnings on Photoshopped photos?

Health warnings on Photoshopped photos?
design219
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2009, 08:44 PM

Is this just going too far?

French MPs want health warnings on airbrushed photographs - Telegraph

I know there is maybe a serious issue here, but I think this is silly. Then again, it is France.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2009, 08:51 PM

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2009, 09:28 PM

What's next, I have to walk around with a health warning to let other dudes know it's not normally possible to be as awesome as me?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
What's next, I have to walk around with a health warning to let other dudes know it's not normally possible to be as awesome as me?
Dude, what exactly did you photoshop?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Dude, what exactly did you photoshop?
I don't think we want to know. But of course I didn't NEED photoshopping to be this awesome!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2009, 01:05 AM

Well it's good that nothing important is going on in France so that they have time for this tomfoolery.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2009, 02:41 AM

Their pedophile directors have no warnings, but their magazine covers do? What a ****ed up country.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2009, 03:19 AM

It is a huge debate over here at the moment in honesty, there was a good 10 minute feature on the news about it.

All in all, they are seeing a huge increase in people with anorexia and eating disorders; a few models starved to death this year (!), and French government always feel they have to act, or be seen to be acting.

I think the plan is for every image that appears on TV in relation to advertising or modeling to have a bar across the bottom if the image has in any way been post produced. Much like the warning on a box of cigarettes or alcohol.

Spain this week is thinking of doing the same, and have also taken to weighing models before fashion shows (this week is the Spanish fashion week), and if they are under weight, they are not allowed to appear.

It is kind of crazy though, as every advert for food, be it meat, snacks, or water already has a health message prominently across the bottom:

'Do not too sweet, salty or fatty foods, or if you do, please remember to enjoy them in moderation and take regular exercise'...

Yep, the world is going crazy, but for the warnings on photos, I do kind of agree...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2009, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Their pedophile directors have no warnings, but their magazine covers do? What a ****ed up country.
Oh don't get me started on this one! He admitted the charge, and undertook a plea bargain...

The judge in the trial went back on this agreement when it came time for sentencing! There are accepted serious procedural improprieties in the handling of the case by the American justice system.

Faced by the Judges deception, and facing life in jail rather than the 6 years he agreed, he skipped bail.

He asked continually for the case to be re-looked at for 30 years, he admitted to liability in a civil trial, paid millions in compensation to the victim, who incidentally now says the case should be dropped.

The American Legal system then decides to look into the case only after the original trial judge who made the errors has died, so as not to have his evidence admitted!

Seriously, yes, the guy has committed one of the worse acts a person can, but does this mean that the legal rule books and precedent, as well as the words and agreements of Judges get thrown out of the window?

And really, this has nothing to do with France, other than the fact they are standing up for one of their citizens who has been faced an unfair foreign legal system.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
All in all, they are seeing a huge increase in people with anorexia and eating disorders; a few models starved to death this year ...

I think the plan is for every image that appears on TV in relation to advertising or modeling to have a bar across the bottom if the image has in any way been post produced.
So models will now have more pressure to be thinner so the ads can avoid the disclaimer!
Smart France.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2009, 08:06 AM

So models will now have more pressure to be thinner so the ads can avoid the disclaimer!
Smart France.
For reference, this applies not only to the weight/build of models, but any advert featuring a person that is changed via post production. It is to do with cosmetics, hair dye, shampoo, makeup - pretty much anything that uses an unrealistic post produced image of a woman/person to sell a product. Perfect hands, skin, face, chest, it applies to them all.

I view it from another perspective, as in honesty, the reason the images are changed is that it is not possible for there to be a 'perfect' model in any circumstance... there will always be something that needs altering in the eyes of the marketing people. It could be face, eye size, nose size, height, you name it, it is not just down to kilograms.

The idea is, that when an advert or image is seem with the a warning attached, the general public are instantly aware that the image on the screen is not a genuine 'representation' of 'real' woman/person - this therefore leads on to the fact that they do not feel under pressure to conform to an 'invalid or fantasy' body image propagated only by the media.

Personally I think it is a smart move.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2009, 11:14 AM

While I think actually putting warning on the ads is stupid, it is good to get stuff like this into the public eye, so while I don't want this to pass, it's good that people are talking about it and it's getting some attention.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2009, 12:04 PM

But how about plastic surgery ?

I suggest a law to have tattoos on the forehead with a disclaimer that the boobs are fake.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 30, 2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But how about plastic surgery ?

I suggest a law to have tattoos on the forehead with a disclaimer that the boobs are fake.

-t
Speaking of huge fake boobs, I just got held up in the airport security line by a girl with a pair of them and a huge ****ing diamond ring (well either the boobs were fake and the ring was real, or vice versa) because she tried to take a bottle of dessert wine and a half-empty bottle of Vitamin Water onto the plane. Awesome.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Are you American or retarded?

Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post

Using a personal attack to provoke me? I'm pretty sure that's against forum policy (especially outside the PWL). I'll let it slide since you've obviously experienced a brain fart.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2009, 05:49 PM

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2009, 05:59 PM

Yeah, seriously, you can't just call someone an American like that... it's rude.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Yeah, seriously, you can't just call someone an American like that... it's rude.
Just imagine if he'd called me Canadian or French.
- Thomas Paine

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2009, 08:05 PM

I don't consider these mutually exclusive.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2009, 04:20 AM

Head bigger than hips?

This image found on Photoshop Disasters.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2009, 06:55 AM

Is this just going too far?

French MPs want health warnings on airbrushed photographs - Telegraph

I know there is maybe a serious issue here, but I think this is silly. Then again, it is France.
Yes. France has the monopoly on stupid warning labels.

Probably Obama's fault eh? Or Bush's? Or just the litigeous society that is the United States of America.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2009, 07:34 AM

matty, I think you're missing the point. Our government is not mandating stupid labeling.

But my apologies if I touched a nerve.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2009, 08:39 AM

matty, I think you're missing the point. Our government is not mandating stupid labeling.

But my apologies if I touched a nerve.
No need to apologise, this is the lounge after all.

Governments in Europe tend to be slower to react than lawyers/plaintiffs in the US. Personally I think that this is a stupid proposal, but in this day and age, in most first world countries (and yes, even though France has its bad parts it is a first world country) 'we' cater for the stupids, we cater for those that don't contribute positively to society, we bend over backwards to 'dumb down' instead of trying to 'raise up'.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2009, 08:50 AM

Is this thread about something that's just silly, or is it about politics? Let's be clear on that so that the thread can be placed in the right forum.

Point: The French government seems to come up with some "interesting" regulations, the suggestion that images or people that have been significantly altered should include warning labels is a good example of that.

Point: The French (in general, it seems) consider Roman Polanski to be "persecuted" by an outstanding arrest warrant, calling the offense "ancient history." Selfsame Frenchmen probably wouldn't think of offenses by the Vichy government during WWII "ancient history," so this is an interesting bit of inconsistency.

Point: the second point is COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE FIRST POINT.

Point: calling names gets people infracted and banned. Even/especially when the name calling is nationalist in nature.

Point: don't let this again degenerate into schoolyard idiocy and we can discuss the original point. Further immature and stupid comments will get the thread locked.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2009, 09:05 AM

I think that you should lock this thread now ghporter, if not to avoid people (like myself) replying to stupid generalisations of populations by people who should know better.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I think that you should lock this thread now ghporter, if not to avoid people (like myself) replying to stupid generalisations of populations by people who should know better.
I think you're right. I always hope a thread can be saved...

Forum Links
Forum Rules