Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ShareScan

ShareScan
John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 04:16 PM

My friend has a program on his PC called ShareScan that can detect all of the shared FTP servers on our university network. I checked VersionTracker to see if there was any sort of Mac equivalent, but I can't seem to find one. Does anyone here know of a similar program for Mac OS X?

proton
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 09:22 PM

ShareScan actually looks for Windows file sharing (SMB) shares on the network.

There's phynd which indexes all available network shares on the network and is designed to run as a search engine, but it isn't all the easy to setup.

You could also do something like nmap the network looking for shares on port 139.

Note that the sort of scanning the ShareScan and these programs do can cause the network administrator to get very annoyed as it creates a lot of excessive bandwidth on the network. I've seen some places where SMB sharing has been blocked due to the bandwidth these programs use.

- proton

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by proton:
ShareScan actually looks for Windows file sharing (SMB) shares on the network.

There's phynd which indexes all available network shares on the network and is designed to run as a search engine, but it isn't all the easy to setup.

You could also do something like nmap the network looking for shares on port 139.

Note that the sort of scanning the ShareScan and these programs do can cause the network administrator to get very annoyed as it creates a lot of excessive bandwidth on the network. I've seen some places where SMB sharing has been blocked due to the bandwidth these programs use.

- proton
ok, thanks. I'll give it a try and see if it raises any eyebrows

Forum Links
Forum Rules