Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Oh Jeez, Not AGAIN!!

Oh Jeez, Not AGAIN!!
Thread Tools
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
 
So Palin wants to run for President. I just don't see her as anything but a lightweight political 'personality'. I sure don't take her seriously, and I can't STAND to hear her talk. Reminds me of Edie McClurg as Herb Tarleks wife on WKRP.
     
Atheist
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Back in the Good Ole US of A
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:07 PM
 
I predict she wins the Republican nomination.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:08 PM
 
This is just Donald Trump 2.0. Once she gets the desired amount of publicity to sustain her for another 4 years, she's out.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:08 PM
 
Are you...are you...serious?
     
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:15 PM
 
They can rebuild her. They have the technology.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
 
Who cares.
     
BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I predict she wins the Republican nomination.
I hope not. I wonder if she'll quit the race like she bailed on her Governorship. She's too much of a light-weight.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:38 PM
 
Is she writing another book to promote, or did her gig at Fox News fall through?

Seriously, I ask why.
     
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:52 PM
 
I hate that woman more then G.W. Bush
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
 
I don't think anyone likes her. Except for post-feminist Republican tea-partiers.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 06:06 PM
 
So, who would/should be the Republican candidate?
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I sure don't take her seriously, and I can't STAND to hear her talk. Reminds me of Edie McClurg as Herb Tarleks wife on WKRP.
And I thought it was just me. Her voice is like nails going across a chalkboard. Nasally and shrill at the same time. It amazes me that people actually pay good money to hear her speak. Not because of what she says. Her audience is her audience and they believe her political ramblings. No I'm amazed that they pay to hear her speak because of how she sounds.

But she is easy on the eyes. I'll give her that much.

OAW
     
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
So, who would/should be the Republican candidate?
IMHO, Rick Perry.
     
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 06:15 PM
 
I'm just hoping she really does move to Arizona. I'm tired of having my hometown associated with her!
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 06:25 PM
 
And for the record, I highly doubt Sarah Palin will run for President. She's making entirely too much money being Sarah Palin the "Political Celebrity". Why give up millions for a presidential salary of a few hundred grand along with all the headaches and drama the office requires? Seeing as how she quit the governorship of Alaska and she's remains a paid contributor to Fox News ... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on her to toss her hat in the ring.

OAW
     
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 08:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is just Donald Trump 2.0. Once she gets the desired amount of publicity to sustain her for another 4 years, she's out.
This ^

I believe she's going on a tour across the country of some sort to support a film. She's trying to drum up the idea of a possible Presidential bid to bolster interest in both her speaking engagements and her film.
ebuddy
     
stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 09:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
So Palin wants to run for President. I just don't see her as anything but a lightweight political 'personality'.
That pretty much sums up the qualifications of the last person who won.

What's your point again?


Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I don't think anyone likes her. Except for post-feminist Republican tea-partiers.
The guy who she would be going up against isn't likely to win a lot of popularity contests these days too.

The things is that with one candidate you've got a record of not making the things they were responsible for worse, and the other the opposite record. It's quite possible that people would vote for the one that has proven they can accomplish stuff versus the one who spent 4 years saying everything was the other guy's fault and that they just couldn't fix the problems.
( Last edited by stupendousman; May 27, 2011 at 06:15 AM. )
     
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 09:35 PM
 
Don't get me wrong--I'd vote Palin over Obama any day. Hell, I'd vote anyone over Obama. But, I don't think anyone actually wants her to win the GOP nomination. She's just riding on top of her superior name recognition in the polls, and her tour has more to do with building her "brand" than with a presidential run (I hope).
     
Gee-Man
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 09:55 PM
 
Palin quit her job as governor just over halfway through her first term because a) she couldn't handle the pressure of "ethics investigations", and b) she got bored at the job. No political "messaging", bus tour, or movie hagiography is going to change that uncontroversial fact for most people - she's automatically unqualified to be president because of that.

Don't get me wrong--I'd vote Palin over Obama any day. Hell, I'd vote anyone over Obama.
I've had a few years to contemplate my intense dislike of GW Bush and get some perspective on some of the people I've supported to run against him, so take this as some friendly advice - just because you are in the grip of ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) right now does not mean you should support just anybody to be president. Some people would just make an absolutely disastrous president, even if they say things you agree with, because they simply aren't qualified for the job. Palin, Trump, and Herman Cain are all folks I would put in this category - you may think any of them are "better than Obama", but believe me, they aren't. Not only would they get absolutely nothing done, including things you want a conservative president to accomplish, you also have the problem of each of them having undesirable megalomaniacal personality traits, which would cause nothing but chaos in their wake. That's not good for anybody, whether conservative or liberal or somewhere in between.

A person like Palin as US President would be an absolute disaster for all Americans.
     
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 1999
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 10:07 PM
 
there's a film of sarah...when is it going to be shown? next week or something?

i want to see it!

and i really hope she runs! go sarah go!
     
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 10:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
Palin quit her job as governor just over halfway through her first term because a) she couldn't handle the pressure of "ethics investigations", and b) she got bored at the job. No political "messaging", bus tour, or movie hagiography is going to change that uncontroversial fact for most people - she's automatically unqualified to be president because of that.



I've had a few years to contemplate my intense dislike of GW Bush and get some perspective on some of the people I've supported to run against him, so take this as some friendly advice - just because you are in the grip of ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) right now does not mean you should support just anybody to be president. Some people would just make an absolutely disastrous president, even if they say things you agree with, because they simply aren't qualified for the job. Palin, Trump, and Herman Cain are all folks I would put in this category - you may think any of them are "better than Obama", but believe me, they aren't. Not only would they get absolutely nothing done, including things you want a conservative president to accomplish, you also have the problem of each of them having undesirable megalomaniacal personality traits, which would cause nothing but chaos in their wake. That's not good for anybody, whether conservative or liberal or somewhere in between.

A person like Palin as US President would be an absolute disaster for all Americans.
True. I was using a bit of hyperbole in saying that "anyone" would be better than Obama. But Obama needs to be voted out, unless we want another 4 years of high joblessness, stagflation, etc.

It will never come down to a Palin v. Obama election, thank god. My best guess is that the GOP nom. will be either Romney or Perry.
     
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2011, 11:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
I've had a few years to contemplate my intense dislike of GW Bush and get some perspective on some of the people I've supported to run against him, so take this as some friendly advice - just because you are in the grip of ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) right now does not mean you should support just anybody to be president.
I appreciate the honesty in telling the forum what they already knew about the lack of substance among the angry left. Believe it or not, the differences are foundational. The kind of ideals that split folks right down the middle. It is thought, felt, and witnessed that these core differences are alive and well in this Administration and the only thing that has truly been transparent about it is its BS. A sock-puppet for President? Hmm... okay, but who is handling it? (other than Arnold Schwarzenegger)

Some people would just make an absolutely disastrous president, even if they say things you agree with, because they simply aren't qualified for the job. Palin, Trump, and Herman Cain are all folks I would put in this category - you may think any of them are "better than Obama", but believe me, they aren't. Not only would they get absolutely nothing done, including things you want a conservative president to accomplish, you also have the problem of each of them having undesirable megalomaniacal personality traits, which would cause nothing but chaos in their wake. That's not good for anybody, whether conservative or liberal or somewhere in between.
I think you're just politically shrewd enough to have included Herman Cain only because he is a concern to you, which affirms my support of his candidacy.

A person like Palin as US President would be an absolute disaster for all Americans.
If the choices are Obama and Palin, stock up on canned goods and make sure to spay or neuter your pets.
ebuddy
     
Gee-Man
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 12:23 AM
 
I appreciate the honesty in telling the forum what they already knew about the lack of substance among the angry left.
You are misinterpreting my point. I had and continue to have major substantive concerns with the Bush Administration on a wide variety of issues - from the multiple wars executed incompetently, to the frightening normalization of torture, to the creeping loss of civil liberties, to the decrease in basic competence in various government agencies like FEMA and the DOJ, to the almost incomprehensible fiscal irresponsibility of massive tax cuts + massive increased spending, and the list goes on and on. Occasionally, the "angry left" as you put it, would come up with a frivolous controversy to attack Bush with, but do not confuse those occasional media playthings with the core disagreements, which are definitely real and substantive and measurable.

My point is not that there is lack of substance on the left, but that the long list of substantive disagreements would get so bad as to lead my fellow liberals to think "well, anybody would be better than this!". And it's not true. As bad as Bush was, and I think he was the worst president in a generation or three, it is possible to get somebody who is just as bad, if not worse. Ralph Nader would have made a terrible president, despite my agreement with a lot of what he says. John Edwards had a great way of focusing attention on the growing disparity between rich and poor, and the destabilizing effect that has had on the economy and yet… he also would have made a terrible president. There are others.

Your comment about a "sock puppet" implies that you are fully in the grip of ODS and haven't learned this lesson yet. Fortunately for the rest of us, the clown candidates on the right have no chance of winning the nomination, let alone the general election. So we may not have to run the risk of a sock puppet getting the majority of Republican votes, simply because he's not Obama.

I think you're just politically shrewd enough to have included Herman Cain only because he is a concern to you, which affirms my support of his candidacy.
Please, I really hope you're joking. A former pizza company CEO as President of the United States? One with zero experience in government at any level? And you think he should go straight to the top? Seriously?

But you are reading between lines of my post when you don't have to. I mentioned Cain because I think he'd make an awful president, not because I'm "concerned" about him. Simple as that. He'd never make it near the nomination, I'd say.

In fact, I'd go further and say that some people's admiration of presidential candidates with "business experience" is highly misplaced. Being a a successful CEO has almost nothing to do with being a successful President of the US - the skill sets simply don't match up.

If the choices are Obama and Palin, stock up on canned goods and make sure to spay or neuter your pets.
I agree, but probably not for the exact same reasons as you . Unfortunately, Palin is delusional and overly self-confident enough to think she has what it takes to run, but I don't think she'd get very far. She'll get a spectacular amount of attention if/when she announces, but then she will self-destruct long before she gets near the nomination - that's my prediction.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 12:30 AM
 
Maybe her movie will help?
Sarah Palin makes a movie about herself
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 01:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
True. I was using a bit of hyperbole in saying that "anyone" would be better than Obama. But Obama needs to be voted out, unless we want another 4 years of high joblessness, stagflation, etc.

It will never come down to a Palin v. Obama election, thank god. My best guess is that the GOP nom. will be either Romney or Perry.

Honestly, while I'm not all that happy with Obama, I think the problems that contribute to high joblessness and the like are much larger than any president.

According to Perry's Wikipedia page he has been clear about not wanting to run. I think the GOP will throw Romney under the bus with the whole RomneyCare thing, plus he's Mormon, plus he wasn't really a frontrunner when he ran before. I can't see Romney in there...

Honestly, I can't see how any of the known candidates now can beat Obama. You gotta admit, it's not a great bunch.
     
stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 06:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Honestly, I can't see how any of the known candidates now can beat Obama. You gotta admit, it's not a great bunch.
Honestly, I don't know how any of them COULDN'T with Obama's record and the unhappiness I hear from even a lot of liberals about his poor performance as President.

There's nothing to keep him in office. He doesn't have high approval numbers. A majority do not think that the country is going in the right direction, and he fails the "were you better 4 years ago" test. People won't vote for him based on his record, won't be able to trust him to do for 4 more years what he claims because of the ability of his opponents to point out he either didn't try to keep campaign promises he made last time, or utterly failed when he did try, and they won't give him the benefit of the doubt just to put a black man in office since no one who voted for him last time has feel there's any credible accusation that race would keep him out of office.

This is like back when people tried to claim that GHWB was unbeatable because people liked what he was doing with the war and won handily the last election. A BUNCH of strong Democrat candidates bowed out of the race before it even started and a little known governor with no major accomplishments, who had a propensity to talk to much took him on and handily beat him simply by emphasizing his negatives and being generally likable.

I'd previously claimed that the last midterm election was going to be much like 1994 because of the parallels between Obama going to far too the left and there being a backlash as happened with Clinton, and I was right. However, Clinton reorganized, triangulated, and made some decent policies that hit the "middle ground" after that and turned his fortunes around (on top of benefitting from a soaring "Internet Economy" boom he had little to do with creating, but did help continue). Obama has thus far failed in this area. I predict that 2012 will be much like 1992. By the time the Republicans pick their candidate, Obama won't know what has hit him. Not necessarily because the candidate is super strong - but rather because they are likable enough, seem honest enough, and will give us some kind of new direction away from all the stuff people voted against during the midterm elections.

There's really no reason to vote for Obama anymore. Unless the Republican candidate looks like they'd do an even worse job than Obama I don't think they are going to have it that tough.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 07:08 AM
 


All still labouring under the illusion that any of your politicians are different than any of the others, I see.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 07:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
And I thought it was just me. Her voice is like nails going across a chalkboard. Nasally and shrill at the same time. It amazes me that people actually pay good money to hear her speak. Not because of what she says. Her audience is her audience and they believe her political ramblings. No I'm amazed that they pay to hear her speak because of how she sounds.

But she is easy on the eyes. I'll give her that much.

OAW
I find I also can't listen to Obama because of the way he pronounces his "S"s.
     
Atheist
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Back in the Good Ole US of A
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 07:56 AM
 
I think you all underestimate the power of Palin. Every woman wants to be her and every man wants to do her. That's hard to beat.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 08:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I think you all underestimate the power of Palin. Every woman wants to be her and every man wants to do her.
Dude, stick to being gay. I wouldn't do Palin even with Besson's equipment. If you paid me.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 08:12 AM
 
Trump is the best man for the job.

Why? Because it's a politician's job to lie through his teeth. And nothing quite says "liar" like a combover.

You *know* that most people vote for the best hair. So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 08:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post


All still labouring under the illusion that any of your politicians are different than any of the others, I see.
So sadly true.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 08:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I think you all underestimate the power of Palin. Every woman wants to be her and every man wants to do her. That's hard to beat.
This will probably be exactly what her movie will try to reinforce.
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 08:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post


All still labouring under the illusion that any of your politicians are different than any of the others, I see.
The youth of today.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
 
Yeah, I'd vote for Obama over Palin.

Let Obama f$&@ up this country and economy completely, rather than giving the Democrats a cheap excuse that it'd be Palin's fault for "undoing" the miracle work Obama has started.

A second season of the Obama show will truly lift the curtain and reveal the wizard of Oz Obama for what he really is.

-t
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Honestly, I don't know how any of them COULDN'T with Obama's record and the unhappiness I hear from even a lot of liberals about his poor performance as President.

There's nothing to keep him in office. He doesn't have high approval numbers. A majority do not think that the country is going in the right direction, and he fails the "were you better 4 years ago" test. People won't vote for him based on his record, won't be able to trust him to do for 4 more years what he claims because of the ability of his opponents to point out he either didn't try to keep campaign promises he made last time, or utterly failed when he did try, and they won't give him the benefit of the doubt just to put a black man in office since no one who voted for him last time has feel there's any credible accusation that race would keep him out of office.

This is like back when people tried to claim that GHWB was unbeatable because people liked what he was doing with the war and won handily the last election. A BUNCH of strong Democrat candidates bowed out of the race before it even started and a little known governor with no major accomplishments, who had a propensity to talk to much took him on and handily beat him simply by emphasizing his negatives and being generally likable.

I'd previously claimed that the last midterm election was going to be much like 1994 because of the parallels between Obama going to far too the left and there being a backlash as happened with Clinton, and I was right. However, Clinton reorganized, triangulated, and made some decent policies that hit the "middle ground" after that and turned his fortunes around (on top of benefitting from a soaring "Internet Economy" boom he had little to do with creating, but did help continue). Obama has thus far failed in this area. I predict that 2012 will be much like 1992. By the time the Republicans pick their candidate, Obama won't know what has hit him. Not necessarily because the candidate is super strong - but rather because they are likable enough, seem honest enough, and will give us some kind of new direction away from all the stuff people voted against during the midterm elections.

There's really no reason to vote for Obama anymore. Unless the Republican candidate looks like they'd do an even worse job than Obama I don't think they are going to have it that tough.

Where were you in 2004? Bush's approval ratings weren't all that great either. It all depends on the options at hand, and perhaps how well records can be obfuscated.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Dude, stick to being gay. I wouldn't do Palin even with Besson's equipment. If you paid me.

You couldn't afford the rental on my equipment anyway.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, I'd vote for Obama over Palin.

Let Obama f$&@ up this country and economy completely, rather than giving the Democrats a cheap excuse that it'd be Palin's fault for "undoing" the miracle work Obama has started.

A second season of the Obama show will truly lift the curtain and reveal the wizard of Oz Obama for what he really is.

-t

Play it again Sam!
     
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 1999
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, I'd vote for Obama over Palin.

Let Obama f$&@ up this country and economy completely, rather than giving the Democrats a cheap excuse that it'd be Palin's fault for "undoing" the miracle work Obama has started.

-t
wow the irony
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 08:46 PM
 
Everything is ironic <-- also ironic
     
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 09:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
According to Perry's Wikipedia page he has been clear about not wanting to run..
This has been changing recently.

Perry says he'll consider a 2012 run

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...nsider_wh.html

In my opinion, he's the GOP's best candidate. My prediction: if Perry decides to run, he will be the next president.
     
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 09:34 PM
 
Turtle--I'd rather Obama lose re-election and be thought of as a well-meaning but misguided president (like Carter) than a complete and abject failure, if the fate of the US is at stake.
     
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2011, 09:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
You are misinterpreting my point. I had and continue to have major substantive concerns with the Bush Administration on a wide variety of issues - from the multiple wars executed incompetently, to the frightening normalization of torture, to the creeping loss of civil liberties, to the decrease in basic competence in various government agencies like FEMA and the DOJ, to the almost incomprehensible fiscal irresponsibility of massive tax cuts + massive increased spending, and the list goes on and on. Occasionally, the "angry left" as you put it, would come up with a frivolous controversy to attack Bush with, but do not confuse those occasional media playthings with the core disagreements, which are definitely real and substantive and measurable...
... and virtually non-existent now that there's a (D) in office who is incompetently executing multiple wars, starting new ones with less than "WMDs" going for it, continuation of rendition/torture and the normalization of it, continued erosion of civil liberties, continued incompetence among numerous government agencies, and an even less comprehensible fiscal folly such as doubling-down on the Bush spending while continuing his tax cuts, and ensuring billions in unsustainable fiscal burdens going well beyond his time in office.

My point is not that there is lack of substance on the left, but that the long list of substantive disagreements would get so bad as to lead my fellow liberals to think "well, anybody would be better than this!". And it's not true. As bad as Bush was, and I think he was the worst president in a generation or three, it is possible to get somebody who is just as bad, if not worse. Ralph Nader would have made a terrible president, despite my agreement with a lot of what he says. John Edwards had a great way of focusing attention on the growing disparity between rich and poor, and the destabilizing effect that has had on the economy and yet… he also would have made a terrible president. There are others.

Your comment about a "sock puppet" implies that you are fully in the grip of ODS and haven't learned this lesson yet. Fortunately for the rest of us, the clown candidates on the right have no chance of winning the nomination, let alone the general election. So we may not have to run the risk of a sock puppet getting the majority of Republican votes, simply because he's not Obama.
If I were to have fallen prey to your ODS I'd be championing Ron Paul who I'd liken to your choices above. Am I happy with the current package of candidates from the right overall? No, not really. However, I wouldn't necessarily call them clowns in light of the fact that they're running against an entire VW Beetle full of them climbing over Biden and Obama in the front seat. This band of miscreants is a couple of blind people juggling flaming mallets at a gas station.

Please, I really hope you're joking. A former pizza company CEO as President of the United States? One with zero experience in government at any level? And you think he should go straight to the top? Seriously?
In terms of intellect the man was a ballistics mathematician for the US Navy and in regards to his executive level leadership has served no less than three major corporations; Pillsbury, Burger King, and Godfather's. Are you aware of the political savvy required for maintaining such positions over say... a community organizer and Senator for less than 200 days? Cain was appointed to President of the National Restaurant Association and actually debated Bill Clinton regarding his Administration's healthcare proposals in 1994 and is credited for being a primary saboteur of it. He eventually became Chairman of the Civilian Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, analyzing economic conditions and advising the Federal Reserve of appropriate action. His executive level leadership experience and in fact, political background make him exponentially more qualified to serve the office of the Presidency than Obama when he took office.

But you are reading between lines of my post when you don't have to. I mentioned Cain because I think he'd make an awful president, not because I'm "concerned" about him. Simple as that. He'd never make it near the nomination, I'd say.
I disagree and contingent upon who does or does not decide to run between now and election season, Herman Cain has a very real shot at the nomination. He took the first round of debates hands-down and is garnering a lot of attention and support among the GOP. To hear him is to love him and you've not seen anything yet.

Except of course, racism hath no fury like a liberal scorned. We've not seen anything yet in this regard either.

In fact, I'd go further and say that some people's admiration of presidential candidates with "business experience" is highly misplaced. Being a a successful CEO has almost nothing to do with being a successful President of the US - the skill sets simply don't match up.
I'd say two decades of executive level leadership in three, major worldwide corporations in the US is much more relevant to the Office of the Presidency than a community organizer and Senator for less than 200 days. IMO, the folks who count Cain out a priori haven't a clue what constitutes an effective leader in Corporate America, particularly as a minority just getting started in the late 60's. The two experiences have everything in common.

I agree, but probably not for the exact same reasons as you . Unfortunately, Palin is delusional and overly self-confident enough to think she has what it takes to run, but I don't think she'd get very far. She'll get a spectacular amount of attention if/when she announces, but then she will self-destruct long before she gets near the nomination - that's my prediction.
I simply hope she remains out of the Presidential picture altogether. She was critiquing Obama's use of a teleprompter on Fox about 4 weeks ago and I had to stop the DVR, rewind, slow to position, and stop... to see handwriting on her palm. She's a liability to any serious candidate.

Herman Cain for President!
ebuddy
     
stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2011, 12:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Where were you in 2004? Bush's approval ratings weren't all that great either.
I believe they were better than Obama's right now (Bush's didn't start to really tank until after his second term), Bush had better economic numbers than Obama, and the Democrats unleashed a pretty weak candidate in Gore and HE ALMOST WON.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2011, 01:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I believe they were better than Obama's right now (Bush's didn't start to really tank until after his second term), Bush had better economic numbers than Obama, and the Democrats unleashed a pretty weak candidate in Gore and HE ALMOST WON.
With the way most people vote these days, one side could field a vegetable and the other side could field the most amazing politician ever who has solutions that appeal to all political ideals, and it would still be a close race.
     
finboy
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Garden of Paradise Motel, Suite 3D
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
With the way most people vote these days, one side could field a vegetable and the other side could field the most amazing politician ever who has solutions that appeal to all political ideals, and it would still be a close race.
You mean like in 2000?

I hope Palin doesn't end up running, she'll just embarrass herself and her supporters, and waste everyone's time. Seriously, though, I don't see a worthy Republican candidate out there right now. Serious, qualified individuals should be scared to death that the media will rip them apart - and the the first time they criticize PBO's policies or lack thereof they'll be tarred and feathered as racists.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2011, 02:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by finboy View Post
You mean like in 2000?
Nope. In 2000 *both* sides fielded vegetables.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I believe they were better than Obama's right now (Bush's didn't start to really tank until after his second term), Bush had better economic numbers than Obama, and the Democrats unleashed a pretty weak candidate in Gore and HE ALMOST WON.
Some believe the revelation of Bush's DWI the day before the election cost him votes. Gore lost his home state of TN. If he had carried TN, Florida would have been a moot point. Mondale managed to carry Minnesota and DC. If the economy remains like it is, Obama will be lucky to carry DC
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2011, 06:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I believe they were better than Obama's right now (Bush's didn't start to really tank until after his second term), Bush had better economic numbers than Obama, and the Democrats unleashed a pretty weak candidate in Gore and HE ALMOST WON.

If Obama loses Obama loses, but it's far too early to predict his demise. I was probably as certain as you are now that Bush would lose in 2004. There are people that are going to vote for Obama no matter what, and conservatives that might just stay at home and not vote at all if they don't like their candidate (and there are also conservatives that don't see Obama as some evil stop-at-all-costs sort of ideological affront). There are a ton of factors.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Turtle--I'd rather Obama lose re-election and be thought of as a well-meaning but misguided president (like Carter) than a complete and abject failure, if the fate of the US is at stake.
I'm sorry, but with the current breed of Republicans, the US will fail sooner or later as well.

Voting Republican might buy you another few years.
The day of financial and economic reckoning is coming, no matter what.

Personally, I'd like to get it over with.

-t
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,