Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Free @mac emails for life

Free @mac emails for life
GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 10:17 AM

Hello,

I have been playing around with .Mac . I am not sure but I think I have found a way to get a full featured @mac email free of charge forever.

This is what I thinking about tell me what you think:

1- First sign up for a 60 days trial account at Apple - .Mac. Your username will be you email address like [email protected]
2- If you do not already have one, sign up for a GMail account.
3- Go to the Setting page in GMail and select Accounts > "Add another email address"
4- Enter you @mac email address you just created
Google will send a verification number to you @mac email address so that you can use it via the GMail platform thru the GMail system. This verification simply let Google know that you do own this email address.
5-go to your @mac email address, look for the verification number
Enter this number in the GMail setting page and you can even choose to make this new account as the default one when composing or replying to a message.

6- In you @ Mac address go to the system preference and choose to forward all incoming messages to your Gmail address.
When you close a @mac account, you can specify to redirect all incoming messages to an alternate email address but you cannot send messages from the @mac platform. Therefore all incoming messages sent to you @mac account will be going to your GMail address. Normally you would have to use another email address to reply but since you already have authentificated you @mac email in Gmail you can safely close you .Mac trial because then you will be able to use you already authentificated @mac email via the google's servers.

So it seems that you can get a free @mac email for life thru the Gmail interface with plenty of storage.

Does that make sense?
( Last edited by GuillaumeB; Aug 25, 2007 at 10:26 AM. )
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 11:57 AM

You can try it, but I doubt e-mail will make it to the forward part of your scenario once the account goes inactive. They'll bounce because the user won't exist.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 12:28 PM

Well actually a lot of people did that and still received email messages sent to their @mac.com email address after their account was inactive. The only step to do is to forward incoming messages before closing the account. I've read plenty of thread on the subject in the official Apple Support forum...
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 12:37 PM

But what happens when apple does inactivate them, perhaps they don't realize that's happening, or perhaps its part of monthly maintenance. The risk is you'll stop getting emails and you'll not really be aware of it and if you really want a .mac email address why try to scheme to get it and just pay for it.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 01:02 PM

Well, go ahead to the Apple support forum there is a section for .Mac email well, i'm just drawing conclusion from what I read. Besides since you keep you @Mac email all your life, since you can reactivate it whenever you want, there is no reason they should cut the forward option at any time...
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
Well, go ahead to the Apple support forum there is a section for .Mac email well, i'm just drawing conclusion from what I read. Besides since you keep you @Mac email all your life, since you can reactivate it whenever you want, there is no reason they should cut the forward option at any time...
You make a really good point. I should have done this before I closed my .mac account! Good work!
My Blog-pakos.me

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 07:02 AM

You're assuming GMail is going to be free and available for the rest of your life...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
You're assuming GMail is going to be free and available for the rest of your life...
Not too unlikely, seeing as they're making their millions off reading every single e-mail in your inbox and tailoring their advertising to you based on that content.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Not too unlikely, seeing as they're making their millions off reading every single e-mail in your inbox and tailoring their advertising to you based on that content.
And that is precisely why I don't use gmail.

Super Mario
Aug 26, 2007, 08:58 AM

From the FAQ

Data Preservation
Q: If my .Mac account expires, what happens to my data?
If you have a full or trial .Mac account or a Family Pack sub-account, all webpages, files on your iDisk, messages left on the .Mac Mail server, online Address Book contact information, and .Mac Bookmarks will be removed. Emails sent to your .Mac address will bounce back to the sender. If you own any .Mac Groups, group pages will no longer be accessible or visible to group members, and messages sent to the group email address will bounce back to the sender.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:47 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
And that is precisely why I don't use gmail.
So which free e-mail service do you recommend?

Because ALL "free" services make money off advertising.

And this stuff is fully automated. It's not like somebody's actually sitting, reading your e-mail and jotting down keywords.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
yeh.
What are you assuming?
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 10:02 AM

Because ALL "free" services make money off advertising.

And this stuff is fully automated. It's not like somebody's actually sitting, reading your e-mail and jotting down keywords.
obviously that's a bunch of bullshit because I myself reactivated my account and nothing was deleted at all.
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 10:36 AM

obviously that's a bunch of bullshit because I myself reactivated my account and nothing was deleted at all.
I don't think you meant to reply to my post?

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 11:41 AM

Yes they do. That reason being to keep people from doing what you're trying to do; Get a free .Mac e-mail address.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 12:11 PM

I don't

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2007, 03:09 PM

Well, for $69.50 (plus $2.00 in ICANN fees), you can register your domain for 10 years at GKG, then set up your own email server on your home computer. Turn on SSH and Apache, and now you have your web and file serving.

So, basically, 10 years for $30.00 less than 1 year of "@Mac."

Seems like a good deal to me.
( Last edited by Warhaven; Aug 27, 2007 at 03:16 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Warhaven View Post
Well, for $69.50 (plus $2.00 in ICANN fees), you can register your domain for 10 years at GKG, then set up your own email server on your home computer.
Running an email server on your home computer is a stupid idea, and your ISP probably won't even allow it (both contractually and technically).
I like Google Apps for Your Domain for hosting email for free.

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 08:31 PM

Not at all. You run it on a server and relay (not open) outgoing e-mail.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 09:11 PM

Uh yes, that's what GMail is. Was this ever a secret?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 04:00 AM

The point is that GMail isn't free - the price is invasion of your privacy and the prolonged storage of any data that they mine from your account. If you are OK with that, then fine, but it is a fallacy to say that GMail has no cost.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2007, 06:00 AM

the price is invasion of your privacy

AHAHAH hilarious! stop the stupid paranoia
Should you like it or not there are organizations way more important than Google that already know your name, the name of your wife, the grades you got in high school, your job, the name of your children, your political preferences, your social security number, the amount of money that you make each month, your bank account number...oh yeh! that's called the Government with a big G...
Get over it man, if you were looking for privacy i guess it's a little bit too late....
Do you think Google really cares about our miserable life and spend their day reading our emails... WTF?
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 10:43 AM

Who's paranoid, again?

Google is one of the world's richest data mines. And it's getting richer all the time. They care very much about scanning your e-mails.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Who's paranoid, again?

Google is one of the world's richest data mines. And it's getting richer all the time. They care very much about scanning your e-mails.
And how should this be related to privacy intrusion?
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 11:07 AM

... your political preferences, ... that's called the Government with a big G...
I have no idea how the french government does it but my government (german) definately has no f******* clue about my political preferences!

(elections are anonym and I am not active on the streets)

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2007, 12:09 PM

oh over here too, secret ballot of course, but I was referring to Google's territory, the USA, there is no secret at all... should you be a Democrat or a Conservative... both will target their audience... at least this is what I observed while living over there.
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules