Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes: can't change tag info on currently playing song

iTunes: can't change tag info on currently playing song
wilburpan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 08:31 AM

When I first started using iTunes, if it was playing a song, and if I modified the mp3 tag data of the song that was playing, the song file's mp3 tag data would get updated. For some reason this doesn't happen anymore. I have to stop playing the mp3, edit the tag, and then restart it.

Any tips on what I should look for to fix this problem? I know that I could just stop the song, but I was wondering if there is a way around this.

Some issues that may be pertinent:

1. I store my music files on a fileserver running Linux.
2. I have a large number of music files (>15000 songs, 77GB)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2006, 08:40 AM

Very similar setup here.

I have 166 GB (>23000 songs), stored on a Mac mini fileserver in the cupboard.

I can edit ID3 tags from within iTunes with no problems while a track is playing (albeit with a short pause as it saves the data and then continues playing).

The only real difference is that your fileserver is running Linux. I suspect that is your problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules