Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any experience w/ Progressive or Erie Insurance? ...

Any experience w/ Progressive or Erie Insurance? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2011, 12:27 PM

Getting ready to switch from Allstate for home and auto, their rates continue to climb for us. I've gotten very favorable quotes, significant savings, from both Progressive and Erie Insurance.

I like the idea of Progressive as they're huge and have a large presence. I like the idea of Erie as they have an agent right in our town.

Soooo ...

Anyone have any really good or bad things to say about any of these agencies?

I just called Allstate and gave them an opportunity to match the rates, they should have a quote for me by EOD.

Thanks!
Chris

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 8, 2011, 01:21 PM

I use Progressive for car and motorcycle insurance, no complaints, but I've never had any type of accident so I've never really had to work with them. They do not look back into your driving history as far as Geico does, Geico was going to cost me about twice as much because they would count a couple of moving violations my wife had four or five years ago.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 01:29 PM

Flo is hawt.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2011, 01:31 PM

Progressive was cheap for my cheap car, but I dumped them for Geico ($50/mo savings) when I got a better car. Who I then dumped for State Farm for another $50/mo savings.

I don't see an in-town agent as a positive.

-Q-
Aug 8, 2011, 02:45 PM

Dumped Geico for Progressive and saved $400 a year. Fortunately, haven't had to use them for anything yet. Customer service has been good, overall.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 8, 2011, 03:56 PM

Very satisfied with Progressive. I had one claim last year (someone backed into me van in a high school parking lot) and they did all of the communication with the other guy's insurance company, collected the deductible from them for me, and did a great repair job with manufacturer's OEM replacement parts.

And then they lowered my premiums!!!

They are about 20% lower than anywhere else I got premium quotes from.

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2011, 03:57 PM

Great info, thanks, all!

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2011, 11:52 AM

I've been using Erie Insurance since 1996 and have had only great experience. Even though I've moved 4 hours away from my agent, I kept the same agent because no one could come close to the cost (auto, but have since added home), including a discounted rate through my employer (last time I checked, anyway).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Flo is hawt.
Ugh. Not my type.

I'm happy with GEICO for now. For me GEICO was the cheapest major name insurer by far.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Ugh. Not my type.

I'm happy with GEICO for now.
I'm not sure people are ready for interspecies relationships. One step at a time.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules