Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The quest for the perfect hot chocolate

The quest for the perfect hot chocolate
And.reg
The Mighty
Today, 11:06 AM

I recall these big machines that make hot chocolate, and it'll say something like hold a button until the cup is 2/3rds full (edit: and then it becomes watery but you move the cup out of the way just as it transitions to water), the machine makes the bestest ever cup of light hot chocolate.

Obviously these are commercial machines, and I don't have that kind of budget, or the desire to go out to get hot chocolate made that way all the time. So, anyone know how to make hot chocolate like that, and what kind of machine I need? Let's keep it under $50 USD if we can.
( Last edited by And.reg; Today at 01:21 PM. )

andi*pandi
Today, 11:25 AM

If you're talking those cafeteria machines, watery as heck.

Best hot chocolate I EVER had was in a cuban restaurant. It must have involved real chocolate (not powder) and cream and being whisked to a nice rich fluffiness.

that said, you can achieve good results with the powder, milk, and one of these doohickeys:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bonsenkitch...2903507&sr=8-4

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Today, 01:28 PM

Alright but I’m not asking about a milk frother. I never said anything about milk and I’m not talking about a frother. When I did multiple general internet searches for those kinds of cafeteria machines and on YouTube, I was getting a bunch of results just like that: milk frothing, which is not at all what I was intending to find in my search results. If I wanted my hot chocolate to come out like a cappuccino, then I already have a plug-in kitchentop appliance for that. The handheld milk frother that I had (similar to that in the link) would not turn on after a few dozen uses because it was such a pos.

I’m talking about how to make hot chocolate like those bigger machines. Yes, the cafeteria ones, and no, they do not come out watery for me as long as you move the cup out of the way just as the machine turns the liquid back to water. The machine that they had made it deep chocolate and sweet. How can I get my hot chocolate to be like that?

subego
Clinically Insane
Today, 01:29 PM

At least according to the internet, hot cocoa is with water and hot chocolate is with milk.

My own best hot chocolate was at a Mexican place.

Thorzdad
Today, 01:40 PM

The most memorable hot chocolate I had was at a South Bend Chocolate Company stand at a mall. They partially filled a cup with steaming hot milk, then poured a big ladleful of their hot, melted chocolate into it. Stir and drink. Pretty darned tasty.
When I want your opinion,-
I'll read it in your entrails

Webster Hunter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Today, 01:55 PM

oh great!
I like hot chocolate too much.
I always eat it from shopkeeper.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Today, 02:07 PM

Growing up, we'd start off Christmas day by going to church. After church there'd be goodies, coffee, and hot chocolate in the basement. They made the hot chocolate in the same pots as the coffee, so it sat there at 190+ degrees. Every year, without fail, I'd get a styrofoam cup of hot-ass chocolate, take a good sip, and burn my tongue. I was then unable to taste anything for the rest of Christmas day.

I don't like hot drinks, so I don't drink hot chocolate. And hot chocolate cold is just chocolate milk, which is for children.

Forum Links
Forum Rules