Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Certification Programs/.Net

Certification Programs/.Net
benschilke
Dec 28, 2002, 11:33 AM

Can anyone recommend an accelerated/certification program for Computer Programming in New Jersey? I have checked out Chubb, but they are going to be .Net-based starting January '03 and I just can't accept the idea that I would be starting out in Microsoft's camp from day one (it bothers me that Microsoft looks like it will once again dominate another area in the computer industry). Is this a short-sighted reason to choose NOT to go to an otherwise decent school. And does anyone know of any alternatives to Chubb, say a univeristy?

mrburri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2002, 02:59 AM

Microsoft looks like it will once again dominate another area in the computer industry
Microsoft will not just come to dominate the enterprise sphere of computing unless people simple roll over and do not fight back. Microsoft are like the Borg big, mean and ugly, and many people follow MS just because they love tyranny and power over what is good in this world. Just like the Borg people think, that because they are so strong and so big that resistance is futile. Resistance is futile until we stop taking defeatist attitude, and resist. Remember species 4876 - they resisted, and who do the Borg fear most of all - species 4876. (Sorry if all this seems to cryptic to those that do not follow Star Trek)

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution, take responsibility for your choices.

does anyone know of any alternatives to Chubb, say a univeristy
Go to SUN Microsystems web-site (the home of J2EE and J2ME - both widely excepted enterprise technologies and the solution backed by every company outside of Microsoft - like IBM - Oracle - Apple - HP - BEA - Nokia - Palm) , enter your details and they will send you a free course book, on all their certification courses. They should have courses in your area.

http://suned.sun.com/US/catalog/

Otherwise go to the IBM or Oracle web-site, they also have industry certification courses.

The other point you must remember that if you go the .NET way you must, in the end trade in your mac for an MS PC, because you cannot develop for MS unless your are running MS, unlike with J2EE you get all the tools for all Platforms UNIX(Mac OSX)/Linux/MS.

Just remember to do some research, and consider the consequences of your choices not only for yourself but also wider world.

Resistance is not futile
( Last edited by mrburri; Dec 29, 2002 at 10:47 AM. )

benschilke  (op)
Dec 29, 2002, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, mrburri. And I hadn't thought about having to get a PC if I go the .Net way. That's just not going to happen.

Researching SCPJ2 tutorial books, I've been getting the feeling that alot of people are learning a language and then going for certification, which would be the alternative I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

mrburri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2002, 08:33 PM

I've been getting the feeling that allot of people are learning a language and then going for certification
That is what i am doing - I am working through my books, and I hope to sit down at the end of 2003 do try my hand at SUN certification.

If you want some recommendations for good books to start with here is my selection.

Learn to Program with Java - by John Smiley - A great book if you have no programming background. Assumes absolutely nothing, and in the end you have a fully functional applications that helps you to learn the Basic Java syntax. A con to this book is that you would think that MS invented Java, very Windows focused.

Beginning Java 2 - by Ivor Hortons -a very thorough and complete book even introduces you to XML. Good if you have some basic programming experience.

Thinking in Java - by Bruce Eckel - this is the OOP bible, as dense as books come, with no fluff assumes allot but is very in depth look all things Java. If you get through this book you will have mastered Java and OOP.

Then also get a good Certification Study Guide Book. I have not gotten to purchasing one yet, but this is my short list.

AND/OR - A Programmer's Guide to Java (tm) Certification by Khalid Azim Mughal, Rolf Rasmussen
AND/OR - Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide (3rd Edition) -- by Philip Heller, Simon Roberts
AND/OR - Java 2 Exam Cram, Second Edition (Exam: 310-025) by Bill Brogden, William B. Brogden

Have a look and see what you like.

Their are also lots of online certifications dummy exams, and sites aimed at helping you pass certification.

Here are a few:

http://www.intelinfo.com/free_java_t...n_the_Web.html

http://www.javaprepare.com/index.html

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...thersites.html

http://www.michael-thomas.com/

Best of luck - mrburri

Forum Links
Forum Rules