Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > remapping system-level shortcuts? (like command-N)

remapping system-level shortcuts? (like command-N)
richf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 03:39 AM

Jumped from OS9 to Panther, sorry if this has all been covered, but I haven't found this info anywhere.

Is there any way to put "new folder" back to command-N?

Also, I would like to add control-click (and thus right-click) on the window title bar to show the hierarchy. Like command click does now. Currently right-clicking on the title bar does nothing, which seems like kind of a waste, when there is some perfectly good functionality there that could be utilized.

I am aware of the hierarchy button you can add to the Finder window in Panther, and I am already making good use of a multi-button mouse for various shortcuts. So I'm not looking for workarounds here; I want to bend OS X to my will...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2003, 04:47 PM

Don't think there is a way to do this without thrid party software. This option for Shift-Cmd-N to create new folder has been active since OS X 10.0. I haven't seen anything about this. You get used to it after a while. For me when I go to an OS 9 box I always try to shift-cmd-N for new folder.

Anyone know of a way to help him out. I'm not sure of anything that will allow you to do that.

Not sure what you mean by right clicking on the title bar. I believe right clicks anywhere in an app should bring up something. Haven't tried it though.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 05:48 PM

First: Yes, in Panther you can switch Command-N back to new folder in the Finder if you want.

Go to the keyboard control pane, select "Keyboard Shortcuts" and modify from there. You may have to set "New Finder Window" to something besides Command-N before you can set "New Folder" to Command-N, but I think it should work.

As for the right click stuff I agree it seems silly that command-click on the title bar of finder windows works, but control-click/right click does nothing. You may be able, depending on your mouse's driver to set the right click to be a command-click (though this doesn't help when you need to use control-click).

The other option I've found useful is to put the new file path button in the toolbar of the finder--it gives you this same functionality with just a normal click.
cpac

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
First: Yes, in Panther you can switch Command-N back to new folder in the Finder if you want.

Go to the keyboard control pane, select "Keyboard Shortcuts" and modify from there. You may have to set "New Finder Window" to something besides Command-N before you can set "New Folder" to Command-N, but I think it should work.
Doesn't work. I believe you can only add new keyboard shortcuts with that tool, not change existing ones.
Vandelay Industries

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 06:50 PM

To see the file hierarchy, its apple-click on the folder name on the title bar.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by chris.p:
To see the file hierarchy, its apple-click on the folder name on the title bar.
Command and Apple are the same thing.
Vandelay Industries

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 7, 2003, 07:07 PM

>Doesn't work. I believe you can only add new keyboard shortcuts with that tool, not change existing ones.

It does work.

Make sure to change both commands (new window and new folder) and then relaunch the finder. When you relaunch, it will be there.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by barbarian:
>Doesn't work. I believe you can only add new keyboard shortcuts with that tool, not change existing ones.

It does work.

Make sure to change both commands (new window and new folder) and then relaunch the finder. When you relaunch, it will be there.
I tried that. I can't assign Command-N to anything even though it is no longer used.
Vandelay Industries

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 7, 2003, 09:05 PM

My Keyboard Shortcuts doesn't list the Finder... above and beyond that, it just beeps at me when I try to type the keyboard shortcut (in the add window).

Edit: even if I add those Finder commands manually, I can only add them with the shift key -- I can't use just command-N (it beeps at me).

tooki

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Command and Apple are the same thing.
Oops- I'd get it right if it said 'Command' on the key... until that day, its the Apple key for me

edit- reread first post- didnt realise that the poster new about this. sorry chap!

richf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 10:20 PM

thanks for the comments folks. I don't know squat about programming, but it seems to me that with all this open source unix goodness going on, some enterprising hacker should be able to tunnel his/her way in there and get at this stuff.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
My Keyboard Shortcuts doesn't list the Finder... above and beyond that, it just beeps at me when I try to type the keyboard shortcut (in the add window).

Edit: even if I add those Finder commands manually, I can only add them with the shift key -- I can't use just command-N (it beeps at me).

tooki
Keyboard Shortcuts will list the finder, if you click the plus button at the bottom and select "Finder" from the pop-up list.

But I do get the same problem with the system beep not allowing me to assign command-N to anything.

Maybe you have to do it in two steps, with a finder restart inbetween... (first assigning New Finder Window to something else, restarting the Finder, then assigning New Folder to command-N)

I have no desire to mess with my system this much, but if anybody cares to try it, please let us know if this works...
cpac

mindwaves
Nov 8, 2003, 03:10 AM

Maybe you have to do it in two steps, with a finder restart inbetween... (first assigning New Finder Window to something else, restarting the Finder, then assigning New Folder to command-N)

I have no desire to mess with my system this much, but if anybody cares to try it, please let us know if this works...
This actually works. Thanks!!!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 03:50 AM

TinkerTool lets you do this too

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 8, 2003, 01:46 PM

Keyboard Shortcuts will list the finder, if you click the plus button at the bottom and select "Finder" from the pop-up list.

But I do get the same problem with the system beep not allowing me to assign command-N to anything.

All of what you said is exactly what I already tried -- does not work for me. It beeps when I try to type ANY shortcut using only the command key.

tooki

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 05:36 PM

I've altered the Finder's nib file to make command-o into just o (for open, and just as a test). I'm quite sure you could use the same method to switch New Folder and New Window. The file you want is at /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Menus.nib/objects.xib. Looks like you just switch a n for a N and vice versa. You have to edit as su though, which makes it cumbersome

mindwaves
Nov 8, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
All of what you said is exactly what I already tried -- does not work for me. It beeps when I try to type ANY shortcut using only the command key.

tooki
tooki, I got it working. Here is what I did:

1) Clicked on the plus button, then switch to Finder.
2) Made " New Folder" as Option-N
3) Logout
4) Repeat Step 1
5) Made "New FInder Window" as Option-Shift-N
6) Logout
7) Repeat Step 1
8) Changed "New Folder" as Command-N
9) Logout
10) Changed "New Finder Window" as Command-Shift-N
11) Logout
12) Log back in and presto!
13) There is no step 13

There might be an easier way (i.e. not so many logout, but it works!)
( Last edited by mindwaves; Nov 9, 2003 at 12:48 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2003, 11:33 AM

That is, in essence, what I did. However, at what is step 8 in your list, it won't let me type any key combinations containing ONLY the command key and a letter. Command-shift, command-option, command-control all work.

That said, whatever, I'm not gonna bother, cuz then I'd have to hack every Mac I use, including those that aren't mine, and I think they might notice.

tooki

mindwaves
Nov 9, 2003, 11:39 AM

Oops, changed "New Window" to "New Folder"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by chris.p:
Oops- I'd get it right if it said 'Command' on the key... until that day, its the Apple key for me
Feel free, but know that the Apple logo didn't actually appear on that key until sometime around 1990 or so.

Command Key, it was.

-s*

richf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 11:03 AM

thanks, Uncle Skeleton. That is just the kind of thing I was looking for. Wish I could find something similar for the command-click thing.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 11, 2003, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Feel free, but know that the Apple logo didn't actually appear on that key until sometime around 1990 or so.

Command Key, it was.

-s*
I think it was with the release of the Apple IIgs, thus creating the first situation where an Apple II and Mac could use the same keyboard.

tooki

P.S. John Siracusa, in his Arstechnica article on Panther, he also says he can't set any key commands with only one letter and the command key.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2003, 04:51 PM

Something new from Macosxhints.com

There's a quick and easy way to restore the pre Mac OS X Command-N shortcut to New Folder. It doesn't require any third party software, although it does require Terminal access (or a .plist editor).

1. Create a New Folder shortcut using the System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts panel. The system won't let you choose Command-N, but it will let you choose Command-Shift-N. Use that.

2. Edit ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist with your favorite editor. Search for your newly added shortcut (New Folder). Duplicate the entry and rename it to New Finder Window. Remove the $ from the New Folder key. This makes Command-N into New Folder and Command-Shift-N into New Finder Window. You need to have both or Finder doesn't behave.

You don't need to restart the Finder for this to work. Just save the file, go to the Finder and type Command-N and watch the new folder appear.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules