Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > New Quark and New Distiller

New Quark and New Distiller
designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 10:54 PM

I just moved all my working flow to OS X (10.2.8) on my 1G Ti PB with 1G RAM.
When printing to PDF from Quark, Distiller takes FOREVER. It doesn't seem normal.
I have some questions:
- Is this normal? Does it take that long?
- Is there a way I can create a PS file from Quark and then send it to Distiller?
- The PPD for Distiller 6 is ADPDF6.PPD, right? Is that the PPD I use wheen I use Adobe PDF in the Printer Description menu in Quark when I choose Adobe PDF?
- Any suggestions to make this process as fast as possible?
Thanks
There is no spoon

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 06:40 PM

Quark 6 have pdf creation built in- why not use that?

Yose
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 07:59 PM

You can set distiller up to monitor directories and when you save a PS file to those directories it'll crunch it in the background and spit it out to another one. This however requires you to setup multiple directories for your different sized pages.. LTR, LGL, Tabloid.. etc etc.

Alternatively, and I should stress I haven't attempted this beyond making a PDF to send through email... you can take a PS file and open it in Preview and then save it as a PDF totally circumventing Adobe's Distiller.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

designbc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 11:38 PM

Ok, Quark saves as PDF, but the file is huge, then it would take forever to send several files to the printer.

One of my questions was that: How to create a PS from Quark. With OS9 and Classic, I printed to a virtual printer from Quark. Now, with Quark 6 and OSX, I don't know how to create a PS. Somehow I'm lost. That's why I'm asking for help.
There is no spoon

arclight
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 12:00 AM

To create a .PS file you should just save to disk instead of printing to the printer. In the print dialog in Quark you will see a drop down menu. In this menu you will find "Output Options". Select it and you can check the box that says "save file". The dropdown lists all the file types, choose Postscript. You will then be prompted to choose a location to save the .PS file.

You can then put that into the watched folder that was mentioned earlier. Distiller chews on the new file generating a high res PDF to another folder.
---------------------------------------

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by designbc:
Ok, Quark saves as PDF, but the file is huge, then it would take forever to send several files to the printer.

One of my questions was that: How to create a PS from Quark. With OS9 and Classic, I printed to a virtual printer from Quark. Now, with Quark 6 and OSX, I don't know how to create a PS. Somehow I'm lost. That's why I'm asking for help.
I have only used Quark 6 breifly, and was under the impression that the file sizes were arount +-10k from Distiller (regardless of resolution) - obviously not. apologies for jumping to a conclusion. As mentioned, save as a file, and you may have an option in a drop-down in the print options list to make 'save as file' create a pdf- with many compression options. If not, save as a .ps, and distill from there.

designbc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 11:15 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
There is no spoon

Forum Links
Forum Rules