Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cursing in non-English

Cursing in non-English
vmpaul
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 04:26 PM

It's a holiday week and I'm stuck inside because it's been raining for 5 hours. I'm actually starting to scope out trees for my own personal ark. This is sunny California?

Anyway, after a week of watching a bunch of foreign (non-english) movies (love that NetFlix!) my gf and I realized that our cursing is sorely restricted to the same old boring english words and phrases. We need more variety in our cursing. Not necessarily at each other mind you, but in traffic or for dumb people in stores and such...

I was thinking that if we used some discretion and tact that this thread wouldn't immediately be targeted for lockination. Moderators? Is that possible with a few well place asterisks? So in the spirit of education and not aggression we could all learn something together. That's noble isn't it?

And yes, I have lowered the bar on my upcoming New Year's Resolutions. But I think this may be more achievable than that first million, destroying the RIAA, convincing anybody in the Political Lounge to change their mind, or organizing my life with Applescript.

We have such an geographically diverse and eclectic, multi-lingual bunch of people on this board we're bound to come up with some doozies. We all know the basic english stuff - sh*t, p*ss, f**k, and d*mn. I used to know a few phrases in italian but I've forgotten them due to lack of use. Phonetic spelling would help if you can add it also.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

ambush
Banned
Dec 29, 2003, 04:34 PM

some Qu�b�cois exclusives

Caliss
Tabarnak
Siboire
Sacrament
Simonac
Estie <--- my favourite (means "damn" but.. more "violent")

"Caliss de cave" is something similar to "****ing moron"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 04:49 PM

I still perfer the English cursing. If I'm cursing at someone, it's for a reason, and they had better be able to understand the reason.
(Shut the **** up *******!, Use your ******* turn signal!, GOD $%#& WHY WON'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME THE &@#% ALONE YOU $#@%-@#$%&$ #$@%@!, ect...)

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 05:15 PM

Aaah! cursing! Hmmmmmm

I advise you to study Dutch then! The language with the most elaborate curses in existence! Apart from the all the minor stuff you all have known to use and love, in Dutch you can cursize virtually every disease in the world!!! A tiny example?

vuile pleurisleier! smerige tyfushond! gore kankermongool! schurftige stoephoer!

Ahem... (never imagined using this in an English forum)

Anyways, these thing dont translate easy to english. while most of you will be able to recognise the used conditions, translating this would be quite akward: "schurfige stoephoer" designates a "cheap whore with scabies" (well not quite, but close)

Ah, dutch swearwords! i could get all lyrical about them... (sigh)

[edit: check out this site, or just google on "scheldwoorden" (which is dutch for "swearwords")]
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
some Qu�b�cois exclusives

Caliss
Tabarnak
Siboire
Sacrament
Simonac
Estie <--- my favourite (means "damn" but.. more "violent")

"Caliss de cave" is something similar to "****ing moron"
Yes, you have to love the wonderful religious expletives that come out of a Quebecois' mouth. My wife can curse a blue streak and my father-in-law is a champion.

The Quebecois will also string the names of saints together in rapid-fire sequence just to make a point.

The French, on the other hand, are more scatological and sexual in their choice of cursing. Some popular French curse words:

* Putain
* Merde
* Salope
* Foutre (sp?)
* Enculer

Etc., etc., etc. And again, they can be strung together for wonderful dramatic effect.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2003, 05:18 PM

Afrikaans has some good ones:

Jou moer
Ek gaan jou moer
Ek gann jou fokken donder
Gatkruiper

to name a few.
weird wabbit

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Dec 29, 2003, 05:39 PM

My favorites:

scheizer: bad word for "poop."

However, my favorite, of all time, is the greek word for a-hole: "MALAKA"

Use it as this: "Is this malaka serious?"

Or.. "hey..malaka!"

- Brad

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 11:57 PM

My Spanish vocabulary consists mostly of words and phrases that would get my @ss kicked in any Latino neighborhood. This is thanks to an exchange student from Puerto Rico who was in my senior year high school class.
F'rinstance:

M@ric�n
Hijo de la gr@n put@
Ching@ tu madre!

My own heritage is Finnish, but I don't have a very broad cursing vocabulary in it. I do remember one of my grandma's favorite comments, Paska housut. It translates as "s h i t in your pants."
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 12:31 AM

It's fun. My friend in middle school preferred to swear in German so that it didn't count. He went to Germany and unintentionally let a couple fly and had an old lady yell at him.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 03:34 AM

What do I say?

Va te faire enculer - a basic fnck off

Putain de merde! - kinda like godammit

Pauv' con - Sad fncker

Otherwise I love Italian-it just rolls off the tongue.

Va vaffanculo, va caccare, coglione, stronzo, minchione, cretino, porca putana..etc

One of my favorites has always been

Ma chi ti conosce? - Who knows you? (shut up, go away..)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Aaah! cursing! Hmmmmmm

I advise you to study Dutch then! The language with the most elaborate curses in existence! Apart from the all the minor stuff you all have known to use and love, in Dutch you can cursize virtually every disease in the world!!! A tiny example?

vuile pleurisleier! smerige tyfushond! gore kankermongool! schurftige stoephoer!

Ahem... (never imagined using this in an English forum)

Anyways, these thing dont translate easy to english. while most of you will be able to recognise the used conditions, translating this would be quite akward: "schurfige stoephoer" designates a "cheap whore with scabies" (well not quite, but close)

Ah, dutch swearwords! i could get all lyrical about them... (sigh)

[edit: check out this site, or just google on "scheldwoorden" (which is dutch for "swearwords")]

Anyway I mostly use the french swearing since I'm half french.

Putain
Merde
Salope
Connard, conasse
* va te faire foutre (don't know the exact spelling either, I can't write properly ) means **** off

these come to mind

oh yeah, and "enculer" basically mean getting (giving) it up the ass

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by Dubya's Dealer:
Putain de merde! - kinda like godammit
Rather stronger than "godammit." It means "sh*tty whore."
/mal

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 04:15 AM

Cursing in German: Doofie
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:

oh yeah, and "enculer" basically mean getting (giving) it up the ass
ok another example:

enculer / giving it up the ass:

reetkever, darmtourist, bruinwerker, bruinridder, kontridder, reetneuker, konteklimmer, kontebonker, baggeraar, chocodipper, strontridder, endeldarmtourist...

ach! it's useless, this without using any of the sites one could google-up. If i were to use them i could easily triple or quadruple the list.

note however that these variants don't even include the use of any diseases (which is frowned upon, but widespread) and show a second source of swearwords i didn't mention in my first post: ordinary terms/names, but used in a derogatory context/way . This could be a rich source for english cursing, i figure.

how about "colonaut"? combining colon and astronaut! it's short and snappy�, quite usable to curse!
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:
However, my favorite, of all time, is the greek word for a-hole: "MALAKA"

Use it as this: "Is this malaka serious?"

Or.. "hey..malaka!"

- Brad
You sure? i was told it stands for 'scrotum'. anyways: an excellent choice! malaka would make one fine curse in english (or in any other language)

Word of advise to backpackers 'doing europe': do NOT try this word when in greece, they often take it quite seriously.

while typing two more potential words: scrotum and backpackers.

last but not least, here's a quick "+1" to mark my 500 post...

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 30, 2003, 07:35 AM

Mandarin (more commonly used in Taiwan, but they'll get the idea): gah nee nahyon (roughly, doing something Oedipal with your mother)

Malay: celakok (roughly, "bitch"... that's a "ch"-sounding c) -- balek kampung (return to your village... calling someone a peasant, essentially) -- bodoh dan hodoh (stupid and ugly)

Spanish: hijo de puta (son of a whore)
( Last edited by moki; Dec 30, 2003 at 07:52 AM. )
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 07:48 AM

Can't comment on the Chinese and the whore, but son is spelled hijo in Spanisch.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 30, 2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Can't comment on the Chinese and the whore, but son is spelled hijo in Spanisch.
yep -- but pronounced "ee-ho" (hard H)

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 11:11 AM

SCHIZA!!!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by moki:
yep -- but pronounced "ee-ho" (hard H)
Not in Spain it isn't. There a j is pronounced similar to "ch" in German. This reminds me of a nice one from Spain: Toma mi butifarra: Lit. Take my sausage, suck my ****.

Gerbnl: Rot op, klootzak (Heb gewoon in Rotterdam gewoont)

Developer was quite reserved with his German ones. The Germans swear like anything and apart from the universal "Scheisse", have loads of words, ranging from mild ones such as "Penner" (Hobo) to "Arschficker".
weird wabbit

deekay1
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
SCHIZA!!!!!
LOOOL

it's "scheisse"! if you meant german, that is!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 11:29 AM

I also like "kutlul" it means something like "****-dick"

Anyway it's strange to see that the dutch language has that many, let's say, 'options'. Most of them aren't used anyway. Even that kutlul is a bit strange when you say it.

EDIT: c u n t - d i c k

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 12:10 PM

Latin America

F*** you
(Chingate > mexico ) (Jodete > Central America)

Shi**
mierd@ *universal in spanish*

Sun of a b**ch
(Hijo de la gran put@) (Hijo de tu Put@ madre)

Coc* Suc**r
chupon, mamon

A*s H*le
Pendejo (Guey, mexico)

deekay1
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 12:16 PM

"fotze" is another good german one.

actually means exactly the same as "cvnt"...heh!

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

stevemont
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 02:10 PM

Here's one of my favorites in Hungarian:

L� faszt a seggedbe!
(Low fawst aw shegged-bay)

Translation: "May you find a horse's penis in your a$$!"

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by deekay1:
LOOOL

it's "scheisse"! if you meant german, that is!
Phonetically it's pronounced : (shy � suh)

I think that's correct? Got that from Austin Powers:Goldmember

We need more phonetics people. I'd hate to swear at someone with the emphasis wrong.

Too bad we couldn't have a mp3 file we could all add to.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 06:30 PM

To add to the above Mandarin ones (also from Taiwan I guess):

all phonetically based (obviously):

Ta Ma de - literally "his mothers", but meaning is more goddamn it.

Ta Nai-Nai de - literally "his grandmother's", means same as above... just sounds funnier when you say "Nai-Nai". especially with a lot of nasal. Oh, BTW "nai-nai" is also slang for titties.

gan ni ma - F your mother
gan ni nian - F your mother (nian is more formal way of saying Mother)
gan ni ji-ba - F yourself (?)

wong ba daan - literally "turtle's egg", I think the meaning is basically as*hole. Never gave it much thought when I use it... it just comes out.

Note - spoken chinese has 4 tones... if you f that up... it sounds funny....and sometimes becomes a different meaning. So consult your local chinese buddy for tone usage

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 06:31 PM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/
GOLDMINE!!!

Thanks.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 07:04 PM

Afrikaans wins in my book.

These choice quotes come from when Troll and theolein were trading insults in the Politics Lounge a while back (just for fun of course - things get pretty bad in the Pol. Lounge sometimes but not quite this bad):

"Ek gaan jou gat skop, 'lat jou neus blooi," - I'm going to kick your ass until your nose bleeds

"Ek gaan jou arm afbreek en jou met die natkant slaan" - I am going to break off you arm and hit you with the wet end.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 30, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Not in Spain it isn't. There a j is pronounced similar to "ch" in German. This reminds me of a nice one from Spain: Toma mi butifarra: Lit. Take my sausage, suck my ****.
Strange; my brother is fluent in Spanish, and lived in Spain for 8 years (Madrid -- conquistadorian lisp and everything), and he pronounces it as I stated it: ee-ho (hard h, like your about to spit)

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 09:36 PM

I love hungarian, I forgot all my words except Kozonom or jo napot kivano, and some other ones. Wasn't there one that said, Let the polar bear ****-it for you!

any way, I prefer cursing in French, except it got me in trouble with this Lawyer women here in SF, who knew she spoke it.

elle est une pute!

It's weird, I never curse in Spanish now, mostly in English or in French.

This is for all you mth*# F^%Kers, hijos de la gran puta, nuestra tierra, que sigamos tomando todo, nos vamos a matar. Cabrones!! Ce la vash!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2003, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by moki:
Strange; my brother is fluent in Spanish, and lived in Spain for 8 years (Madrid -- conquistadorian lisp and everything), and he pronounces it as I stated it: ee-ho (hard h, like your about to spit)
I worked in Spain as well, but I have an idea we may mean the same thing. I think your hard h is the same as the German ch sound (It has three different sounds in German, soft after �, �, �, e and i -F�cher, hard otherwise -Fach- except for before s - Lachs. I think you may mean the hard one). From what I know from listening to Mexican and Cuban Spanish on TV, the South American version is like the soft ch in German.
weird wabbit

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 10:02 PM

'Malaka' is 'w@nk�r' in Greek... hmmm hope that bypasses the censor here Sorry Brad- but its along the same lines (of offeniiveness)

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2003, 12:15 AM

I only know of 1 Polish word.

Kurva - sort of like "b*tch"

I'm done.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
GOLDMINE!!!

Thanks.
no problem

(google is our friend!)

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 06:50 AM

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 31, 2003, 10:11 AM

Spermcontainer:

Is Danish, and is a rather ugly word describing a woman which jumps into bed with everybody...

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 12:28 PM

BTW, a more common Danish word is r�vhul, meaning asshole.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by vexborg:
Spermcontainer:

Is Danish, and is a rather ugly word describing a woman which jumps into bed with everybody...
Doesn't sound very Danish

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 02:59 PM

farsi has some good ones, and pratically no one will have a clue what you're saying, that's for sure.

-cus (basically meaning cu*t) - it's really really bad.

-foisha (whore, more or less)

-hook (with a throaty emphasis on the 'h') means pig, not really offensive, but I like to use it.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 08:35 PM

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/
Cool, that site has a ton of Finnish swearwords and curses!
I now know how to say, "Your mother copulates with reindeers."
/mal

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 09:34 PM

Huh... I had always thought that r�vhul ment barbarian...

still a good one

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
Huh... I had always thought that r�vhul ment barbarian...
In an extended meaning, maybe: but, literally, r�v = arse/ass and hul = hole ---> r�vhul = arsehole/asshole...
( Last edited by Sven G; Jan 1, 2004 at 06:18 AM. )

vexborg
Senior User
Jan 1, 2004, 02:12 PM

Doesn't sound very Danish
Which part? The part about the ugly woman or the word?

Trust me it is - I'm Danish so I should know

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 07:24 PM

Thanks.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by vexborg:
Which part? The part about the ugly woman or the word?

Trust me it is - I'm Danish so I should know
"Spermcontainer" sounds rather English to me, unless the words for "sperm" and "container" are the same in both languages.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 08:06 PM

"Spermcontainer" sounds rather English to me, unless the words for "sperm" and "container" are the same in both languages.
There's something similar in German called "Spermiensammelbecken" :Sperm collection dish.
weird wabbit

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 08:17 PM

Best thread I've read all year !

Klootzakken.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by mrfrost:
Best thread I've read all year !

Klootzakken.
Ok: so let's go on...! Here's one of the most vulgar Italian "cursings" I've found, sofar - for example:

Non mi cacare il cazzo!

Mi fai cacare il cazzo!

Sei un cacacazzi!

(and so on...)

Literally, one is supposed to be a dickshitter (i.e., a very obnoxius individual) - translation of the above:

Don't sh�t my dick

You make me sh�t my dick!, or (?) You make my dick sh�t!

You are a dickshitter!

[Hey, the human intestinal products seem to be censored on these forums...]
( Last edited by Sven G; Jan 3, 2004 at 03:08 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules