Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Upgrading Quicksilver G4/733

Upgrading Quicksilver G4/733
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 09:04 PM

Hi, I have the opportunity to get a secondhand Quicksilver off a friend and want to upgrade it as a web/file server for my network. I had a few questions about upgrading it.

I'm going to put a new Pioner DVR-106 Superdrive in it but then I want to use the Zip slot below it too. I have an old USB Superdisk drive floating around at home. I've ripped it open before and the basic drive inside appears just to be the same size as a Zip drive and has IDE interface plugged into a USB adapter. To install it do I just follow the same instructions as for installing a Zip, make sure it is set to slave etc? Will Panther recognise this drive?

Secondly, the Quicksilver is a G4/733 model. I heard that some later G4/800 Quicksilvers support drives over 120GB but is it true that this model wont? If I add a new PCI ATA card it would support larger drives though?

Finally, I have an external ADSL modem at home but thought I'd tidy up the place a bit by putting in an internal PCI modem. Does anyone know of any decent ADSL ones they would recommend?

Thanks,

Pete C.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

DrBoar
Senior User
Jan 18, 2004, 10:42 AM

Why bothering ripping up the case for a superdisk USB drive, If you do not use it everyday I would just plug it in when I needed it. I have a ZIP drive in my tower and severl ZIP disks but since I got a pendrive that stuff is never used anymore.

According to Mactracker all Quicksilver models had ATA66. By installing a modern ATA 133 card that will be solved. Just pile on those 250 GB drives!

At least with the 56 k modems that are aviable as PCI cards for PCs lack support in the Macintosh. It could be the same for ADSL modems.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by MacNZ:
Hi, I have the opportunity to get a secondhand Quicksilver off a friend and want to upgrade it as a web/file server for my network. I had a few questions about upgrading it.

SNIP>>>>
Finally, I have an external ADSL modem at home but thought I'd tidy up the place a bit by putting in an internal PCI modem. Does anyone know of any decent ADSL ones they would recommend?

Thanks,

Pete C.
i don't think there are any internal ADSL modems for the Mac. But if you've got a network then your internet connect must me going via a router?

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2004, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wanted to put the superdisk in the tower is that my parents occassionally use floppies from friends with PC's but they also hate the external drive. My father basically wants me to get rid of it as we have an old house, which he doesn't like messing up with wires and external boxes. I thought I may as well put it in the Quicksilver since I have nothing else to put in the lower bay. I just need to know that it will work.

I suppose I'll stick with my external ADSL modem then. I spent ages getting my network properly wired through the walls and the router is in a ceiling cupboard. I couldn't get the phone line in there (long story!) so I have a separate external modem, which is plugged into one of the network wall jacks.

I'll definately update the hard drive though. Are there any mac compatible SATA cards yet or do I have to get ATA133 like you mentioned?

Thanks,

Pete C.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

DrBoar
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 03:44 AM

Sonnet (www.sonnettech.com) sell serial ATA cards one retailer is OWC but I asume there are others as well

Forum Links
Forum Rules