Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Powerpoint 2004 lacking Keynote import

Powerpoint 2004 lacking Keynote import
i_wolf
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 05:51 AM

Was anybody else a bit surprised and a little disappointed to discover that Powerpoint 2004 does not allow you to import keynote presentations? This was one of the primary reasons I upgraded to Office 04. I know I can export my keynote presentations as powerpoint slides from keynote and then open them in powerpoint. However it was just more of a convenience thing I was hoping for; Powerpoint could open and edit keynote slides natively.
Apart from that, Powerpoint 2004 is fantastic and well worth the upgrade... its just that this seams like such an obvious feature Mac users would require.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2004, 09:08 AM

Did you also notice that Powerpoint now has the same 3D transistions as Keynote?
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2004, 09:31 AM

PowerPoint:2004 really updated their themes as well...much, MUCH better then v. X...

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2004, 09:34 AM

I guess I'm not the least bit surprised. Powerpoint cannot even open older versions of its own files. Try opening a presentation created in ppt 4 with the new version. Wow. For this purpose I have to keep a classic version of Ms office 98 around (stuffed) just in case.

Ms seems to avoid making translation software for many prominant formats (e.g., WordPerfect) despite the obvious utility that they would have.

Business as usual I guess.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 09:38 AM

yes, well very similar, however I hope i don't sound like a fanboy saying this as I will use whatever tool gets the job done, but the powerpoint cube and flip effects do not look as good. They just are not as 'smooth'. However they are a massive improvement over the old. Also the tools interface is fantastic in powerpoint 04. Apple could do much to copy a lot of the features of this in Keynote 2. Still when the presentation is finished and you are going to show it, powerpoint still can't touch the professional, quality and smooth finish you get with Keynote.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by i_wolf:
Was anybody else a bit surprised and a little disappointed to discover that Powerpoint 2004 does not allow you to import keynote presentations? This was one of the primary reasons I upgraded to Office 04.
Not to sound like a d!ck or anything, but why would you buy the upgrade mainly for this one feature without checking to see if it had such feature in the first place?

And, to pour salt on the wound, why expect Microsoft to build in a way to make it convenient to use a competing product? When has Microsoft ever done that in any software they've ever written? I don't recall Word being able to open AppleWorks files, either....

I'd never expect in a million years Microsoft to add Keynote import to PowerPoint.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 09:03 AM

Question: Can someone post a screenshot of some of the new themes?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 22, 2004, 11:36 AM

Was anybody else a bit surprised and a little disappointed to discover that Powerpoint 2004 does not allow you to import keynote presentations?
Not surprised in the least.
This was one of the primary reasons I upgraded to Office 04.
Strange. This was NEVER listed as an Office 2004 feature, nor was it expected.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2004, 01:40 PM

Keynote has an amazing foundation, but lacks features.

Powerpoint seems to continuously weld new features on...

I've used both, and prefer Keynote, unfortunately, Apple needs to make a Windows version or at least a Windows player for it to be taken seriously.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2004, 07:49 PM

I sent a mail to Microsoft a while back asking if Office for Mac would support Keynote. The reply i got was the typical 'Powerpoint 2004 will support all the latest standards when it is released'. I guess i assumed. But as the saying goes assumption is the mother of all f**kups.
Eitherway i like the upgrade and I am not complaining.... so much as saying how much better Office 2004 would be if Microsoft included such an obvious feature. Heck keynote stores its slide data in XML, how hard could it have been for MS to incorporate Keynote importing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules