Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > new iMac, how to transfer software ?

new iMac, how to transfer software ?
cbh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 05:10 PM

I'm just about to receive my new iMac G5, and wonder which is the best way to make the transition of users, software, prefs, etc. from my G4.

Sould I use the the easy upgrade option via Firewire, reinstall and configure from scratch, or are there any other options ?

callefoss
Nov 23, 2004, 05:04 AM

I think there is an option when you setup a new computer with Panther which asks you if you are migrating from another computer and if you want to transfer old settings and documents, but I am not 100% sure.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 05:57 AM

Yep, you'll get the option to have the computer transfer files. Very helpful. Just remember to repair permissions afterward.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Just remember to sacrifice a large chicken and perform a voodoo chant afterward.
Fixed.

Anyway, to answer your question, a FireWire cable is probably the fastest and best way to do this.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 06:11 AM

Fixed? Hardly? I did this when I got my PB17 and I even used an external FW drive rather (made bootable via CCC) and it moved everything over, files, settings, haxies, even the dock and fruitmenu. Took about 90 minutes but it was flawless.
Though the chicken is a good a idea if you'd like to have dinner while it's moving stuff over.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 02:24 PM

Fixed? Hardly? I did this when I got my PB17 and I even used an external FW drive rather (made bootable via CCC) and it moved everything over, files, settings, haxies, even the dock and fruitmenu. Took about 90 minutes but it was flawless.
Though the chicken is a good a idea if you'd like to have dinner while it's moving stuff over.
I'm referring to the Cult of Repairing Permissions.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2004, 04:46 PM

Man, I first read this thread title and thought someone was trying to transfer their Windows programs to their new Mac. I braced myself for an ugly scene in here.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 03:21 AM

I used the FireWire transfer on my new iMac G5 from my old iMac G3, and it worked great. Very slick. Only thing that got hosed was my Cisco VPN client, so I'll have to reinstall that.

But I haven't repaired permissions yet!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2004, 03:43 AM

Well no matter how one feels about repairing permissions in general, I would strongly recommend it after transferring software from one computer to a new one as paths have changed.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2004, 12:40 PM

Well no matter how one feels about repairing permissions in general, I would strongly recommend it after transferring software from one computer to a new one as paths have changed.
Repair Permissions only works for files which have receipts in /Library/Receipts. Which will only be files that you've installed on your hard disk with the Installer. Which will usually not be stuff that you'll be transferring over from another computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules