Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The next Revision will have?

The next Revision will have?
slider
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 11:26 AM

First simple let me say that I love this machine and I am not trying to start one of those "what the next iMac should look like threads", although I think that is what it will turn out be. I just wanted to point out some of the things that I have noticed from different threads that seems to show Apple is planning ahead.

One post mentions that the iMacs come with PC133 ram, yet the system bus is 100MHz. Another mentions how sturdy the arm seems to be an goes on to say that if could definiatly hold a 17" TFT. I am simply suggesting that I think the next revisions have already been planned and Apple is just maximizing bang for buck. So next revision, 133MHz bus, 17" TFT high end (further down the road), and of course drive models with move down to lower end models.

I think one of the beauties of this design is that they can upgrade the monitor on this model when/if TFT prices drop, unlike the original iMac were a major redesign was needed.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 03:25 PM

The SuperDrive iMac, at least, is very 'future-proof'. Sure, there are faster buses and CPUs, but in terms of core components, it has all the core viable technologies.

I stress 'viable', since there is a lot of tech out there, but most of it just won't last or is not consumer grade. For example, they could have added BlueTooth, but it's been years now since bluetooth came out and it is just not going anywhere, so it's not really viable. Stuff like that.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by slider:
<STRONG>First simple let me say that I love this machine and I am not trying to start one of those "what the next iMac should look like threads", although I think that is what it will turn out be. I just wanted to point out some of the things that I have noticed from different threads that seems to show Apple is planning ahead.

One post mentions that the iMacs come with PC133 ram, yet the system bus is 100MHz. Another mentions how sturdy the arm seems to be an goes on to say that if could definiatly hold a 17" TFT. I am simply suggesting that I think the next revisions have already been planned and Apple is just maximizing bang for buck. So next revision, 133MHz bus, 17" TFT high end (further down the road), and of course drive models with move down to lower end models.

I think one of the beauties of this design is that they can upgrade the monitor on this model when/if TFT prices drop, unlike the original iMac were a major redesign was needed.</STRONG>
A 17" LCD may take awhile...they're pretty expensive right now (like $800+ for a good one), and will probably remain so for a year or two. 15" LCDs are certainly adequate for most people...viewable area is about that of a 17" CRT.

What I'd want to see is the following:

1) A 133MHz bus and DDR-RAM. These don't boost performance enormously (tests I've seen show about a 15% boost from DDR-RAM alone), but they do help some and, geez, you can hardly even FIND PC100 RAM anymore. I do realize that the towers will get DDR first (MW Tokyo next month?), but the iMac should get it too, and in a timely manner.

2) Bring back DVD. Sure, most people don't watch movies on their computer screens(except for biz travellers + laptops), but its inevitable that more and more software and games will be released on DVD. And hey, it's at least NICE to have the movie-watching option, isn't it?
Therefore, I'd like to see all CD-ROM iMac models(both CRT and LCD) go to DVD-ROMs, and all CDRW models go to combo drives. The price delta in both cases is relatively small (~$40-50 for manufacturers).

3) Given #2, some sort of DVD remote (and support for it) would be nice. If your LCD iMac is in your bedroom or dormroom, just swivel the screen, kick back on the bed, grab the remote, and catch a flick. Livings' easy

4) That second RAM slot needs to be user-accessible. I need a tech? Gimme a break.

The new iMac is great, don't get me wrong, but everything can always be improved.

--lee

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2002, 02:41 AM

Apple might offer the iMac with a 17" display (who knows, even 19") at a higher price after they see how well this one sells...maybe at MWNY. There may be an issue with that though, I read somewhere that even the 15" can bump the open drive tray when moved to its lowest position. The display arm may need to be lengthened for a bigger display. Everything else is perfect...I'm ordering the CDRW model tomorrow.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't expect to see a larger display on the iMac any time soon. I'm sure Steve would think a bigger display would disrupt what is no doubt a carefully-considered relationship between the display and the base.

I want colors! The specs of the machine are great, but it's just so...white.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 01:45 PM

1) A built in TV Tuner (Welcome back Macintosh TV). HDTV?
2) Built in phone.
3) Two monitors (Two is always better than one).
4) Colours. She comes in colours everywhere.
5) SuperDrive in the mid and high end. Combo in the mid-range.
6) Built in AirPort card.
7) One big letter "i" to remind people this is an iMac after all!
8) Steve Jobs autograph in the $5,000 limited edition model. Similar to the old Woz limited edition models.
9) Bill Gates autograph in the $20 low end version. Quite similar to the bugs found in Windows XP. $20 is more than worth it for two monitors (thousands of dead pixels of course!)....
10) Boots up to 1984 commercial on every startup.
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

benschilke
Jan 14, 2002, 03:46 PM

Anyone know why there's such a big price difference between the 15" LCD and a 17"? It's kind of like those screen guards for older CRT monitors--the 15" is $40, and the 17" is $120(?- something like that).

I've seen the new iMac in person and I think it's a work of art. I'd almost go as far as saying it can't be improved on at this point because it's perfect, but I guess most people would disagree.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 14, 2002, 05:49 PM

What they will and what they should have are two different things. I like the the imac, and like everything out there, it could and will improve. What it should have, a better price tag. One more compitive than the folks they are competing with. You could get a PC System with a 17" flat screen for less than the "future" iMac ( new imac is not currently available). I know what the next revision iMac will not have, and that is a Processor that is over 1Gig. It should have it, Motorola makes them, I'm sure IBM could make them too. But Apple does not use them, ??? If they (apple) want to appeal to 5 out of 100 wintel users, how can they persuade them to buy a machine, that on paper cost twice more than an other machines with similar specs, and that out performs it on every application except "photoshop". Double or Triple Processors at over $3,000 will not look good next to $500 2GHZ wintel machine. This is why they lost their User base last year.Well enough of me complaining, I would just like to see a better, more competitive price than their "future" pricing plans.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

iAntipodean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 06:50 PM

...features similar to the last round of iMac revisions namely a slot-loading drive (so it doesn't get crunched by the display) and it'll be convection-cooled (so it doesn' sound like my Rev D. leaf-blower).

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: iAntipodean ]

macanonymous
Jan 14, 2002, 07:50 PM

It's pretty quiet all ready...

Any who, I think this iMac is just like the old one in terms of how they will run the improvement cycle (if you will).

A slot loading drive will be added as soon as they can get a SuperDrive to be one. Then the price will drop when they add another color or something as cheap as that. And lastly, they will ad a 17" display on the high-end one, then trickle down.

By then, we'll all be clamouring for a G5 iMac that floats and pays our bills out of Bill Gates' checking account automatically.

The price is the same as the older one, so maybe I'm right? Who knows?

kstevens
Jan 14, 2002, 08:08 PM

I believe the 17 inch is much more expensive because it is more difficult to manufacture a flat screen as the size increases.

ken

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
<STRONG>You could get a PC System with a 17" flat screen for less than the "future" iMac ( new imac is not currently available).</STRONG>

Really? I guess...if you're talking a fairly crappy 17" LCD and a fairly crappy PC.

New iMac = $1299
Good quality 17" LCD(like Samsung) = $699. That leaves $599 for the PC, if you want to bring it in under the iMac's price.

eMachines, anyone? Or how about a Dell with a 4MB 'Integrated 3D graphics' card

I understand your point, and there is some truth in it, but I don't think its quite as bad as you state.

--lee

Forum Links
Forum Rules