Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgraded DA G4 not happy

Upgraded DA G4 not happy
MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 04:58 AM

Hi,

I just upgraded my Digital Audio G4 to a new G4 1.6 Ghz processor (Powerlogix Upgrade). I had no trouble with the upgrade and she started up, running off the old install of OS X 10.4.3.
Once loaded the G4 seemed to be running fine, system profiler said everything was ok and the powerlogix software seemed to work fine. Normal apps worked great. I then tried to upgrade to 10.4.6 through system update. On pressing restart the G4 wouldn't boot properly. It got to the Apple logo screen and then said I had to restart my computer. I tried reinstalling Tiger (which I have on CDs). It reinstalled the first CD, then restarted to install the rest of the software. On restarting it came up with the following exceptions and wouldn't boot any further. It states,

0x00000000 0x0006AEC4 0x0006B570 0x0006549C 0x0009AD 0x000350C4 and so on, then Exception state (sv=0x01502000)
I don't know anything about darwin or kernal stuff, and this is only of a series of exceptions it threw at me.

I hate to think I have killed this thing. It's a pretty loaded machine! Does anyone know if this is a hardware or software issue? I can still get as far as loading the OS X install CD and disk utility verifies the Hard disk as ok.

System specs are; 200GB drive running of ATA133 card, 640MB RAM, Radeon 9800, and Powerlogix upgrade. Have a generic USB2 card and Miglia card installed too.

Thanks,
Pete
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

reader50
Administrator
May 30, 2006, 12:50 PM

Download and apply the generic Combo update. Remember, Software Update will offer the incremental update, and possibly the one specific to your model. Except your model is no longer in OEM configuration, it has a different CPU than it started out with. Oh, and fix permissions afterwards too, before booting into the fresh upgrade.

spittingangels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 01:21 PM

He's right. After doing processor upgrades you have to do generic combo updates, as your Mac's model ID is no longer valid anymore.

When reinstalling Tiger, you will have to do the same thing if the installer allows you to: don't install Tiger for your specific model. Do a generic install.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2006, 02:13 PM

That's very interesting and good to know.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 30, 2006, 02:29 PM

Strange, I've never had this issue with my Cube with Sonnet 1.7 GHz 7447A. Why the different results?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2006, 04:47 PM

I never had any such issues with my 7447A upgraded Power Macs either.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 05:19 PM

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I managed to reinstall 10.4.3 using my retail (non-computer specific) CDs. It loaded up fine first time. However, then I tried restarting. Now it loads past the grey Apple logo screen; it loads the blue OS progress bar REALLY slowly and then stops when it gets to the end of the progress bar. The computer won't load up to the desktop. Basically, I can try reinstalling OS again, but knowing my luck the other two times I'm a bit concerned. Any more ideas?
Thanks a lot,
P.Carter

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2006, 02:14 AM

Anyone?

reader50
Administrator
May 31, 2006, 04:11 AM

During the restart, hold down Command-v to start in Verbose mode. That way you can tell what it hangs up on during the boot.

Also, it's possible to apply a combo update to a partition right after installing the OS to it, assuming you are booted from a different partition at the time.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 06:52 AM

3rd party RAM could be a problem.

aehaas

reader50
Administrator
May 31, 2006, 12:49 PM

Did you update to the latest firmware before doing the CPU upgrade? You may need to boot into OS 9 and run Software Update to see if there is a firmware update available. Alternatively, the CPU may have come with a firmware patch to apply.

Try putting the old CPU back in. Install OS 9, install Tiger, Combo update to 10.4.6, repair permissions. Make sure everything boots, check for firmware updates in OS 9, get everything stable. If the upgrade comes with a firmware patch, apply it after getting up to date with the official firmware. Finally, put the new CPU in again and see if it all works now.

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. I installed this thing really carefully...updated to Apple Firmware 4.2.8 and then updated to Powerlogix firmware. Unless the Powerlogix patch didn't work, I don't see how I could have got it wrong. I'm not a computer whiz but I've installed general stuff like this before with no prob. I'm goin to take it into a mac store tomorrow to see what they think. I've had trouble getting her past the Grey logo screen on the last few boots so verbose startup didn't seem to be an option. I didn't want to get an RMA from the US shop I bought it from unless the processor is definitely faulty cos I'm in NZ and I have to ship it all the way back. I will tomorrow if I have to, after the mac store takes a look. Thanks for the help. I'm still stumped as to what's up with it. Will let you know how I go.
Cheers,
P. Carter

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by MacNZ
I've had trouble getting her past the Grey logo screen on the last few boots so verbose startup didn't seem to be an option.
Ummm... that's WHY you want to start up in verbose mode. It will tell you where it's hanging. It sounds like it's very close to starting up, it could be hanging on initializing the network or something. Have you tried the install without the extra peripherals - get rid of the USB2 card and the Miglia card. You should be down to your basic system when doing installs like this. Also, what is with the rush to do system updates. Try just running the system with your 10.4.3 install. You shouldn't be rushing to update the system. Once it's proven it can run for awhile then update.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 5, 2006, 09:25 AM

You had to install a PowerLogix firmware? Link?

MacNZ  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 01:55 AM

Thanks for the help. I finally got this thing running reasonably well. I installed the OS from an external FW drive instead of from CDs and seemed to do the trick. The machine runs reasonably stably on most things and compared to my 12" PB is really quick. The only minor probs I'm having are with textedit, which seems to not like opening (quits on opening), and the screen saver control panel, which crashes. I may have a check tonight and see if I can work them out. Any prefs that I should trash?
Good to know about verbose mode and PCI cards. I'll try that if I run into more probs. The Powerlogix firmware and software came on CD. Having no issues with it now. New processor actually runs really cool.

generationfourt
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 10:04 PM

not to hijack the thread, but I upgraded my processor as well and would like to know how to do "generic" software update with tiger... I went to the apple website and couldn't find anything...

mac1896
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 10:24 PM

@MacNZ

Make sure you are using a version of CPU Director that is later than 2.3b1, as 2.3b1 will only run under 10.4.3 (and give you funky system performance as well).

Under 10.4.6 you need to download and install CPU Director 2.3b4

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/apr06/041306.html
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

reader50
Administrator
Jun 7, 2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by generationfourt
not to hijack the thread, but I upgraded my processor as well and would like to know how to do "generic" software update with tiger... I went to the apple website and couldn't find anything...
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
You want the updaters called "Mac OS X 10.x.x Combo for PPC".

generationfourt
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
You want the updaters called "Mac OS X 10.x.x Combo for PPC".
ok I understand...

is there a possibility that my auto update would still work with my OWC processor?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 8, 2006, 12:31 AM

It might. I guess the real question is "Are you feeling lucky today?" It all depends on if Apple changes any of the files specific to the CPU card in a particular update, then supplies only the optimized file for a specific model via the auto update..

Forum Links
Forum Rules