Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > About oil production

About oil production
villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 08:41 AM

Coming from the mouth of the former #2 of Aramco, Saudi Arabia oil company. An interesting and somewhat depressing view on oil production.

http://medias.lemonde.fr/mmpub/edt/d...tion_-_s_2.pdf

Providing of course that oil is not being regenerated in the depths of the earth at high speed as we speak ;-)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2007, 01:10 PM

"Don't worry, the North Sea won't run out within our lifetimes."
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2007, 06:02 PM

We might run out of refineries first.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
"Don't worry, the North Sea won't run out within our lifetimes."
there will always be oil in the north sea.

though at some point, it will no longer be profitable to build new/maintain old refineries.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 07:15 PM

Silly little sheep.

If a bloke comes along and tells you that the supply of Macs is running out, there ain't gonna be any more and he has the last few, you're gonna buy his stock even though he's stuck a thou on the price, right?

Welcome to marketing 101, people.

Next week on the same channel, a bloke asks a barber whether he needs a haircut or not.

Oh, and if the North Sea has peaked, why are we still selling the stuff to the colonies instead of stockpiling it for ourselves?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 07:35 PM

I don't know; why did we allow industrial-scale fishing trawlers to take millions of tonnes of Atlantic cod right up until, and even past, the point when the entire cod fishery had completely collapsed?

I guess it has nothing to do with that precious stock you were talking about, right? Nothing.

greg

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 07:45 PM

I don't know; why did we allow industrial-scale fishing trawlers to take millions of tonnes of Atlantic cod right up until, and even past, the point when the entire cod fishery had completely collapsed?
'Tis strange how one can take this year's crop and stick it in an old hot water tank in your garage and produce fuel, yet the Earth (with it's massively more powerful processes) somehow takes millions of years to do the same thing. Odd, no?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 08:03 PM

Yeah. I'm not sure what to say to that. Shocking, that we can use resources to do something immediately while the earth can't. What's next, making a room really cold when it's 30 degrees outside? Speeding up chemical reactions? Splitting an atom in two?! Jebus! Now I'm just getting ridiculous.

greg

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2007, 08:23 PM

Yeah. I'm not sure what to say to that. Shocking, that we can use resources to do something immediately while the earth can't.
Sweet. So if we run out of oil, we can just make some more. Since we're quicker at doing it than the Earth is and all that.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 08:30 PM

Yeah. I'm not sure what to say to that. Shocking, that we can use resources to do something immediately while the earth can't. What's next, making a room really cold when it's 30 degrees outside? Speeding up chemical reactions? Splitting an atom in two?! Jebus! Now I'm just getting ridiculous.
To people who are only familiar with the Fahrenheit scale, yes, you're getting quite ridiculous.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Silly little sheep.

If a bloke comes along and tells you that the supply of Macs is running out, there ain't gonna be any more and he has the last few, you're gonna buy his stock even though he's stuck a thou on the price, right?

Welcome to marketing 101, people.

Next week on the same channel, a bloke asks a barber whether he needs a haircut or not.

Oh, and if the North Sea has peaked, why are we still selling the stuff to the colonies instead of stockpiling it for ourselves?
Because the shareholders of the oil companies want it? Since when have these companies have any long term strategies?
But yeah sure, as we speak oil is regenerating at light speed. "Silly little sheep" eh?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
"Silly little sheep" eh?
Yup. Go read this. Then go read about the Club of Rome.

All of this climate change and peak oil stuff is complete guff designed to scare you folks who weren't scared by the terrorist threat. It's all a political play to keep you down.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 08:52 AM

All of this climate change and peak oil stuff is complete guff designed to scare you folks who weren't scared by the terrorist threat. It's all a political play to keep you down.

Great website you quoted there.

Educate-Yourself.org - Natural Healing Therapies, Hidden Science, the New World Order, World Wide Electronic Mind Control, Population Reduction, and possible Earth Changes

"Educate-Yourself.org is a free educational forum dedicated to the dissemination of accurate information in the use of natural, non-pharmaceutical medicines and alternative healing therapies in the treatment of disease conditions. Free Energy, Earth Changes, and the growing reality of Big Brother are also explored since survival itself in the very near future may well depend on self acquired skills to face the growing threats of bioterrorism, emerging diseases, and the continuing abridgement of constitutional liberties. It is strongly recommended that visitors to this web site print out hard copies of the information that is of interest. Do not assume that your hard drive, this web site, or even the Internet itself will always be there to serve you....Ken Adachi, Editor"

Talking about scaring people....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Great website you quoted there.
You know that attacking the messenger is exactly what they've been conditioning you to do, right?

Cold Warrior
Nov 21, 2007, 11:02 AM

The energy crunch is going to get progressively worse before it gets better. With all the alternatives on the market, we're still not close to a cheap, efficient alternative that works with existing infrastructure and existing engines. If someone figures that out, he'll be the richest person in history. I'm hopeful though, and hate our dependence on oil and fossil fuels. However, without a miracle solution, it'd take probably 15-20 years to transition our infrastructure to an incompatible alternative. I just put a few thousand into an energy sector & oil fund.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2007, 01:08 PM

it's probably just coincidence that all the major economically-produced oil-fields just happen to lie in sedimentary (carbon-rich) basins? that is not to say that there isn't some abiogenic oil out there; i heard they found 8 whole barrels of it somewhere in sweden. it's an interesting theory, but people keep bringing it up in discussion on peak oil (and not, for instance, on all the possible ways oil could be made) and my question is what's the point?

it's real sweet when lil' sally offers up her piggy-bank with $3.72 when the family is facing foreclosure on their farm. yes, she has money (like actual hard non-negotiable US cash) but it ain't gonna do much realistically to fix the problem...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by black bear theory View Post
it ain't gonna do much realistically to fix the problem...
There is no problem. It's that simple.

Of course, if you want to believe a bloke whose pension is tied up in Aramco shares and has every reason to try to talk the price up, then feel free.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The energy crunch is going to get progressively worse before it gets better. With all the alternatives on the market, we're still not close to a cheap, efficient alternative that works with existing infrastructure and existing engines. If someone figures that out, he'll be the richest person in history. I'm hopeful though, and hate our dependence on oil and fossil fuels. However, without a miracle solution, it'd take probably 15-20 years to transition our infrastructure to an incompatible alternative. I just put a few thousand into an energy sector & oil fund.
the gov't is putting a lot more into the oil sector right now. we're expanding the strategic petroleum reserves above historical levels despite the astronomical prices.

interesting graph i came across at : Free Preview - WSJ.com

despite having the same amount of oil in 1985 and 2000 in the SPR, that amount provided respectively 160 and 60 days of use for the US.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 01:29 PM

astronomical prices.
Astronomical prices? No.

A litre of bottled water costs more than a litre of premium petroleum. And that water stuff falls out of the sky.

Interesting question, no? If we're past peak oil and supply is short (as is claimed), why does the stuff cost less than water? Surely it'd be ever so slightly more expensive than the most abundant resource on the planet?

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2007, 02:15 PM

Astronomical prices? No.

A litre of bottled water costs more than a litre of premium petroleum. And that water stuff falls out of the sky.
that's not to say that the price of (bottled) water is reasonably set! know how much it costs to buy oxygen? and that stuff is available even on sunny days!

Interesting question, no? If we're past peak oil...
look into what peak oil is and what it predicts (you speak of fear-mongering lol). hint: it's a plateau not a cliff. the US has already experienced (and possibly the north slope) it in our oil production and we still produce oil everyday, just can't survive off of it. fortunately for us there was the rest of the world to buttress our declining production and reserves. may not be the case in the coming decades.

what are american's doing in 2000 that they weren't doing in 1985 that accounts for more than a doubling of oil usage? the population has stayed level, so has our lifestyle changed that much? is it all those trucks carting bottled water around?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 02:24 PM

what are american's doing in 2000 that they weren't doing in 1985 that accounts for more than a doubling of oil usage?
Driving around the country to take part in protest marches against oil usage, as far as I can tell.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 02:44 PM

what are american's doing in 2000 that they weren't doing in 1985 that accounts for more than a doubling of oil usage? the population has stayed level, so has our lifestyle changed that much? is it all those trucks carting bottled water around?
Our economy has grown substantially, our reliance on petroleum products has grown substantially, and our population has grown substantially. There were fewer than 240 million Americans in 1985.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 03:12 PM

Well, discounting the increase in population (relatively smaller increase compared to oil use doubling, especially when increases in oil-use efficiency via technology by that population as a whole are taken into consideration), I think your other reasons are key. Petroleum product use has grown in conjunction with economy. Is this an irrevocable link? Given that - no matter what Doofy claims - there is no viable alternative source of oil beyond what we're currently using, one would think that such a peak in production would cause food for thought.

But of course, as I mentioned, such signs of resource depletion have been noticed many times in human history, and they have often been ignored, sometimes with significant societal or economic consequences. I think a reasonable analysis of this possibility is a much better idea than sticking your head in the sand, saying "it won't affect my generation", or making silly claims about irrelevant possibilities.

greg

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 11:13 PM

You know that attacking the messenger is exactly what they've been conditioning you to do, right?
Well I was going to discuss the website that's linked about the abiotic oil production, but I figured you would not have understood the scientific arguments anyways...

oops I forgot the required

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2007, 01:30 PM

http://www.ifg.org/pdf/manifesto.pdf

The International Forum on Globalization's Manifesto on Global Economic Transitions is the most common sense approach I have seen to this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules